Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else cancelling a Tesla 3 order - 2 year free charging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We seem to be really focused on the value of the 2 years of free supercharging here but we don’t know what model the OP has ordered. If the OP has selected a color upgrade, interior upgrade and/or wheel upgrade, they could cancel, then reorder a basic white car with aero wheels and possibly get upgraded on the color/wheels for free. That, along with the two years of free supercharging, would be enough for me to cancel and reorder.

We also don’t know what the OP’s cost per KwH is so we can’t provide any meaningful information on the actual savings of home charging versus using the SC.

Reactions: steve in socal
Lets say you use SC a lot and you recharge your car with 10,000 miles worth of supercharging. Lets assume you get 250 Wh per mile, so that's 2500 kwh saved. US avg for power is about 12 cents per kwh = $300 in savings compared to 5% capacity loss (could be less, but could also be significantly more than this) on the battery

I really hate this argument. I see so many posts here from CA residents, which I think is 17-18 cents per kwh. In NY, I am over 19 cents per kwh. I am wondering if the average is 12, then there must be some states paying 5 or 6 cents per kwh.

Using "average" is not valid when there are such outliers as CA, NY and HI.

We seem to be really focused on the value of the 2 years of free supercharging here but we don’t know what model the OP has ordered. If the OP has selected a color upgrade, interior upgrade and/or wheel upgrade, they could cancel, then reorder a basic white car with aero wheels and possibly get upgraded on the color/wheels for free. That, along with the two years of free supercharging, would be enough for me to cancel and reorder.

We also don’t know what the OP’s cost per KwH is so we can’t provide any meaningful information on the actual savings of home charging versus using the SC.

Same car- AWD white 18"-upgrade only avail whats in stock and in LA, Cali- there is 0 in stock for 200 miles. No idea what my KW Hr is in LA or in Big Bear- I know Big Bear tends to have high electric. But again- just curious am I missing something? What does cancelling and re-ordering cost me? I believe nothing as I get the $2500 back on a cancelled order.

Reactions: golfleep
Same car- AWD white 18"-upgrade only avail whats in stock and in LA, Cali- there is 0 in stock for 200 miles. No idea what my KW Hr is in LA or in Big Bear- I know Big Bear tends to have high electric. But again- just curious am I missing something? What does cancelling and re-ordering cost me? I believe nothing as I get the $2500 back on a cancelled order.

Is a Tesla rep saying there is nothing in stock or are you getting this information from the Tesla website? My experience has been that Tesla has a lot of vehicles available for sale that do not show up online. If their inventory was really close to zero I doubt they would implement such an aggressive end of quarter incentive program.

Reactions: bigroo42
I really hate this argument. I see so many posts here from CA residents, which I think is 17-18 cents per kwh. In NY, I am over 19 cents per kwh. I am wondering if the average is 12, then there must be some states paying 5 or 6 cents per kwh.

Using "average" is not valid when there are such outliers as CA, NY and HI.

Many Californians have a time of use plan with significantly reduced rates. My after 10pm rate is .10/KwH. So while my average may be higher it doesn’t really matter since I only charge my car at night after 10pm.

Is a Tesla rep saying there is nothing in stock or are you getting this information from the Tesla website? My experience has been that Tesla has a lot of vehicles available for sale that do not show up online. If their inventory was really close to zero I doubt they would implement such an aggressive end of quarter incentive program.

He said nothing and online shows the same. Everyone in LA drives a Tesla now- so stock is low. I'd imagine other parts of the country is the problem. But I wouldn't want 19" wheels anyway- and not sure I really am that thrilled by any other color so was planning to wrap anyway. Guess I could always hope for 19" and trade someone for 18" on here at some point- just to get delivery faster.

Thank you for the links. I'm still hard pressed to see how significantly harmful 1-2x per week supercharging to 80%. I still plan to install a level 2 charger at home for charging as needed. I have yet to see any info on high mileage model 3s w/ frequent supercharging. From my understanding, the model 3 batteries are built quite a bit different to previous EVs.

I have done Super Charging 1-2 to 3 times per week in the last 9 months, since taking delivery of LR AWD M3 in Dec 2018.

Also, charge at home 90% using HPWC. I go to 90% when SCing.

I commute 160 miles (mostly freeway) daily for the last 9 months and logged 30k miles.

Last week my car still charge 303 miles at 100%, rated 310 miles new. So far, so good.

I had 9 months free SC, now only have 2K free miles - so I will be using SC less frequently.

YmMv.

20190914_080920.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190914-080418_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20190914-080418_Tesla.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190914_080952.jpg
    20190914_080952.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 31
Is that all it's worth? 2,000 miles vs 2 years? Seems like it would be more than that

For people living in places like NYC this can be very valuable. In my case, the parking for my gym has a supercharging station which is where I charge my car 90% of the time. This happens to be along my commute and so is pretty ideal.

Furthermore, they are also authorizing sales staff to waive the fees of up to two features to match orders with inventory vehicles, which can result in important discounts

Hasn’t Tesla been preaching forever that one of their differentiators is not using this opaque pricing scheme typical of other dealerships? I’m sure they’d claim it’s totally different because it’s only for “inventory” but seems more or less the same thing at this point.

I get 2,000 free miles- so this would be an extra 15 to 18,000 over 2 years.
The point is, how many Long Distance trips are you planning to do?

San Diego to Seattle for me $78.00 using Superchargers, who cares for free charging.

If you want free SC charging, get a few referrals, not hard with friends wanting to get into the action after seeing yours.

Fred

Last edited:
but what does cancelling cost me? Looks like neither the original order or a new one will come in for weeks. So to cancel maybe means I get the secnd order a week later than the first. not that big of a deal and I go from 2,000 milles for 6 months of charging to unlimited for 2 years. Even if I barely use it- what does it cost me to put in a new order? Literally nothing. Or am I missing something?

Look at Elon's twitter, i wouldn't count on these discounts still being a thing for that much longer - especially for people who were clearly willing to purchase the car before hearing about them.

Look at Elon's twitter, i wouldn't count on these discounts still being a thing for that much longer - especially for people who were clearly willing to purchase the car before hearing about them.

For those of us who dont engage in the cesspool (in general) that is twitter, can you or someone else post what elon is saying about this that you are referencing?

The world does not revolve around California.
California has the largest economy of the United States and only 4 or 5 nations have an economy larger than California so maybe it does. :) /economics

Also, I thought they were giving two upgrades as free for folks that have current orders.. Like a wheel and paint upgrade?

From Electrek
Furthermore, they are also authorizing sales staff to waive the fees of up to two features to match orders with inventory vehicles, which can result in important discounts.

The features are limited to paint colors, interior, and wheels.
Does that imply you have to have an existing order?

Last edited:
Electric bill? Who doesn’t have Solar today? A good majority of EV owners have Solar. Charging and running the A/C at home is free.

Fred

I'm guessing most don't. I certainly don't in my rental cabins or in the home I am renting out in LA. Wish I did- $750 electric bill for June and July.

And charging it at home - helps me how when going from LA to SF, LA to Big Bear, LA to Vegas.. etc..
Gets me there and then what? Oh right- Super Charger on the way home...

Last edited: