Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else coming from a sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have spent my whole life driving manual Nissan Zs. I had been considering a small sporty SUV and the Model Y Perfomance was close to what I was looking for. I test drove a MYP and was sold, it’s faster than any car I have owned. I was not sad at all when I traded in my Nissan Z and picked up my MYP and I haven‘t looked back. I still have a passion for driving my MYP just like I did with my Zs and it’s even more fun with the extra speed and all the technology. I don’t miss a manual transmission at all. The MYP is fast and fun, but you do lose some handling perfoemance. If I had to do it over again, would definitely buy a MYP.

Technically yes but no... I was DD a CrewCab Tundra and sold it to buy a MYLR... Took advantage of an overpriced used car market and made a pretty penny on my 175k mile truck well over what I was looking at only a year prior...

Now driving 1 of my 2 summer cars while I wait... 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo or 2005 Honda S2000 (LS swapped 😁 )

So yes in a way, I'll be coming from a sports car to the MY...

Reactions: thesmokingman
I've own a new at the time 2001 SS Camaro manual shift. kept it for years. Own many Miata's over the years, one supercharged. In 2017 I traded in a 2014 Fiesta ST for our Model S. Sold the S in 2018 and purchased the X. August 2020 purchased a MY LR. I really love driving the MY. The only thing I think you may miss is the manual transmission. There's something fun about slamming gears. I don't miss it that much when I start acceleration down the road. There's something exciting about the car pulling and pulling and not shifting gears.

Hi,

I have the SR RWD Model Y and I love driving it daily. Bought the Y for commuting purposes. I love the simplicity of it and it surprisingly easy to throw around the curves. Its nimble and the instant torque is amazing.

Currently own a 350Z Track Edition built for track days and a LSX Juggernaut TT C6 Z06 with too much power for the streets and my previous car was a modded Gen 3 Viper. All these cars have & had a purpose for me. And ever since the Tesla came, I have been in the mindset of switching out the ICE lineup for Electric cars. Wish I had made the switch sooner!

I came from a 2016 Audi S6, so more on the fast boat side of things. Love the additional room of the MY without it seeming any bigger. For whatever reason butt dyno feels almost the same. I do miss the sound of the V8 though. Overall, very happy with the switch!

But here is the question, moving from performance ICE to BEV with its instant torque, how are the tires holding up compared to your previous ICE cars? I'd think the BEV torque would be harder from all those launches, but then no burn outs in BEVs (unless nannies removed or modded I guess) so the ICE might be harder that way? Just curious. 🤔

So I am in the process of selling my 2015 BMW M3 in manual while I am waiting for my MYP to be delivered. I would have never even considered the Tesla until I drove my neighbor's brand new M3P and I was hooked. Decided that the M3P felt too small interior-wise so decided to upgrade to the MYP. Anyone else made the move?

I always thought that my BMW M3 would be my final ICE car, especially since it had a manual transmission, but I couldn't get rid of it quick enough after driving the Tesla. Such clean, fast, smooth and QUIET acceleration. My BMW is faster overall (It's tuned to over 500HP), but its loud, brash and my wife hates driving it.

It will be missed, but I am excited for what comes next!
Everytime I read a thread about going from a BMW M3 to a Tesla Model 3/Y I really wonder what happend to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" car company?

I felt that BMW was on the good track in 2012 with the BMW ActiveE with 700 selected Electronaut customers.
But the release of the BMW i3 really changed the BMW EV's destiny.
This 2014 video "Will the BMW electronauts buy the BMW i3?" kind of summarised the BMW hope at that time, even mentioning solar panels usage.

What surprise me even more is this 2012 Toyota colaboration on Fuel Cell technology followed by the 2022 BMW X5 Fuel Cell production announcement.
It seems to me that "The simpler, the better" by using batteries directly powered from the sun,
instead of producing Hydrogen at high cost, compressing it, and converting it into electricity.

Again BMW is on a different track, will it become again "The Ultimate Driving Machine" ?

Coming from Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport. Not really a sports car. But as a sporty SUV in the price range, nothing else was close to it when I got it. After a lot of research and test driving many EVs, finally ended up in SR MY. After driving an Alfa, it was extremely hard to impress me with anything. So, E-tron, ID.4 or Mach-E did not impress me. But, MY did. A interesting fact is that the Stelvio and SR MY had same 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds.

Technically yes but no... I was DD a CrewCab Tundra and sold it to buy a MYLR... Took advantage of an overpriced used car market and made a pretty penny on my 175k mile truck well over what I was looking at only a year prior...

Now driving 1 of my 2 summer cars while I wait... 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo or 2005 Honda S2000 (LS swapped 😁 )

So yes in a way, I'll be coming from a sports car to the MY...
I did the same thing and sold my F150. Took less than 24 hours, the used market is absolutely insane. Luckily its summertime so I’m just riding my motorcycle everywhere for now. 2019 BMW S1000XR

Came from 911 997. AweSome manual car but the myp is sooo much quicker at usable speed. The 911 was very fast top end like 120-160.. but not all that quick at lower speeds. The myp is quicker up to 100 and that’s all I’d do on a hwy. plus the myp is a 5 seater not 2. It’s also easy to get into and out of. I like it better but I do miss the looks and better build quality of the 911.

I have a MYP on order to replace my 2020 Cayenne which isn’t really a sports car. However the MYP will be joining my 992 C4S in a very identical color combinations.

This is going to be my first EV, previously, I had 20 ICE vehicles which half of those had been more on the sporty/performance side (3 911s, M3/M5/M550i/X5M, AMG GT R, RS3).

Really looking forward to fully experience what the new era of automobile can bring.

I have had my share of modified sporty cars, most recently a Hellcat and RS3. My RS3 was full bolt on and could easily go 0-60 in 3.2X seconds - such a fun car. The MYP is slightly slower on paper, but the instant torque and perfect traction from the jump are a game changer. I picked up the MYP as I needed a larger car for our growing family and was nearly certain I would be missing the RS3 and slightly disappointed with the purchase - that couldn't be further from the truth. I have no regrets. An added bonus is given there is no tuning for the MYP I will retain a factory warranty throughout ownership!