Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else coming from a sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am in the process of selling my 2015 BMW M3 in manual while I am waiting for my MYP to be delivered. I would have never even considered the Tesla until I drove my neighbor's brand new M3P and I was hooked. Decided that the M3P felt too small interior-wise so decided to upgrade to the MYP. Anyone else made the move?

I always thought that my BMW M3 would be my final ICE car, especially since it had a manual transmission, but I couldn't get rid of it quick enough after driving the Tesla. Such clean, fast, smooth and QUIET acceleration. My BMW is faster overall (It's tuned to over 500HP), but its loud, brash and my wife hates driving it.

It will be missed, but I am excited for what comes next!

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: ezease30
Hi,

I think most people making the switch you are talking about tend to look at the model 3, instead of the Y....just like people looking for a "sports car" BMW buy a M3 (the real one) not an X3M, even though both are fast.

We have a 15+ page thread (not 15 posts, 15 pages) in the model 3 section on exactly this question:

Reactions: jpy1980
I came from a 2015 STI. It was a fun car but needed something bigger for the family. When I was looking for a fast SUV nothing came close to the Y for the money. It's been almost a year and I don't regret my decision one bit.

Hi,

I think most people making the switch you are talking about tend to look at the model 3, instead of the Y....just like people looking for a "sports car" BMW buy a M3 (the real one) not an X3M, even though both are fast.

We have a 15+ page thread (not 15 posts, 15 pages) in the model 3 section on exactly this question:

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate the insight. I guess I should have been more specific if anyone made the switch from sports car to Model Y.

So I am in the process of selling my 2015 BMW M3 in manual while I am waiting for my MYP to be delivered. I would have never even considered the Tesla until I drove my neighbor's brand new M3P and I was hooked. Decided that the M3P felt too small interior-wise so decided to upgrade to the MYP. Anyone else made the move?

I always thought that my BMW M3 would be my final ICE car, especially since it had a manual transmission, but I couldn't get rid of it quick enough after driving the Tesla. Such clean, fast, smooth and QUIET acceleration. My BMW is faster overall (It's tuned to over 500HP), but its loud, brash and my wife hates driving it.

Coming from a '16 F80 M3 as well w/a MYP on order (EDD 7/28-8/7). Very similar thoughts and experience as you. M3P and MYP provides form, function, and tech that's similar, equivalent, or better in many respects.

BTW, I have a SO. Love your YMB as well. Do wish the MYP had some special colors - I mean, com'on it's a "performance" car.

You might be surprised how the Tesla compares to your M3 power-wise, there’s a video of an M3P on a dyno pulling 526 bhp at the wheels and 650 lbs/ft of torque plus it’s all available pretty much instantly and no lag in between gear changes (no gears). I came from a Widebody Hellcat RedEye and my M3P is much quicker up to about 80, the performance is just so usable and the car doesn’t shout about it.

You might be surprised how the Tesla compares to your M3 power-wise, there’s a video of an M3P on a dyno pulling 526 bhp at the wheels and 650 lbs/ft of torque plus it’s all available pretty much instantly and no lag in between gear changes (no gears). I came from a Widebody Hellcat RedEye and my M3P is much quicker up to about 80, the performance is just so usable and the car doesn’t shout about it.
Yes! The key word here is “shout.” I must be getting old!

I had a 2011 BMW M3 that I used as a second car and loved. I sold it when I got the MYP. In daily driving conditions, I can easily drive the MYP faster due to the better visibility in traffic (height) and the instant torque. You will crack yourself up when you realize what you can do.

Did not know they put the coyote motor in the f150!! What’s next, the voodoo motor in an f150?!!
Yea, I think they started in like 2011 or something. Such a fun truck but I wont miss the $70 weekly fill-up And lack of options. It’s a shame Ford doesn’t let you build a fully loaded regular cab. Oh well, MYP is way more fun. Can’t wait for it to come in.

Reactions: Doc_Holliday
Not really the same thing but my last sports car was an m6 competition (which I sold a few yrs ago), and that thing was a beast inside and out. Just got my MYP and the awd + instant torque matches the performance of my m6 for less than half the cost. The features Teslas have takes these cars to another level. Waiting for model y track mode release, not that I'll ever track it but the features it adds are really nice.

Attachments

• 20170528_141512.jpg
    20170528_141512.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 20170602_232434.jpg
    20170602_232434.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170602_232604.jpg
    20170602_232604.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 64
Not really the same thing but my last sports car was an m6 competition (which I sold a few yrs ago), and that thing was a beast inside and out. Just got my MYP and the awd + instant torque matches the performance of my m6 for less than half the cost. The features Teslas have takes these cars to another level. Waiting for model y track mode release, not that I'll ever track it but the features it adds are really nice.
Looks like I'm in good company.
IMG_5180.JPG

Reactions: yeafoshizzle