TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Anyone else concerned about the new battery packs?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

With the new details about the new higher density battery packs having slower charge rates, I am wondering about the ability to cool them as effectively as the S/X packs. The historical data for Tesla battery packs even with lots of supercharging is quite amazing. I am concerned with the higher density that the thermal management system won't be able to be as effective as S/X have been so far. Combined with Elon's tweet that there is no plan currently to use the new packs in S/X... Anyone else?

• Funny x 3
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Find something else to 'concern' yourself about. Otherwise you will not enjoy the car to its fullest.

• Like x 4
  3. Ken7

Ken7 Member

It's funny how so many of these threads start out with "Is anyone concerned about....".

I think if all these guys cancelled their reservations, I might get my car next week. ;)

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  4. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

I'm concerned I'm dropping over 50K on a car that has so many concern threads.

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 1
  5. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

To answer your question, no I am not concerned. The Model 3 is important to Tesla, and they can't have them all melting down on the freeway.

• Like x 3
  6. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

Nope

• Like x 1
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Misery, and a desire for affirmation, loves company; and with billions of people in the world, company is a tweet away.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. chronopc

chronopc Member

I'm concerned about the warranty on the battery. I plan on driving it a lot and I will definitely exceed 120k before 8 years. I sure hope battery replacement cost gets reasonable by then.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  9. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

I'm not terribly worried. Tesla's probably limiting charge/discharge rates to minimize pack replacements/warranty costs, which should results in a more reliable pack compared to the S. The EPA certification data also suggests the new packs are lower density than the S, so the same thermal management should be more effective. Plus, Jeff Dahn. :D

• Like x 3
  10. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

I think 120k miles is more than generous. How many cars are there out there with 120k mile powertrain warranties?

11. chronopc

chronopc Member

I can think of 2. The Tesla Model S and the Tesla Model X. :D

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

The charge rate on the S is the same for the Long Range version of the M3. No issues there.
    The standard range charges slower because there is not as many battery cells and initial charging always starts fast, then tapers off as the battery reaches full capacity. Thus in the same amount of time on a smaller pack, you get less range per minute of charging.

If you go on lots of long roadtrips weekly, get the Long Range. If not, you will never care except that one time per year when you drive long distance, and you have to take a few more stops

Generic graph.
    [​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. trm2

trm2 Member

Any new Hundai - you can get the dealer to double the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty to 20 years/200,000 for no cost. It is meaningless because no one keeps the car that long, even though Hyundai actually makes a decent car.

14. chronopc

chronopc Member

My mom kept her Camry for almost 20 years. It didn't have that long of a warranty period though.

15. Tiger

Tiger Member

You will be earning so much more (many multiples) after 8 years, you should not worry about that. You can count on inflation in your salary and technology cost reduction.

16. chronopc

chronopc Member

I'm only slightly worried about it. It's not impacting my decision or excitement about buying the car. :)

17. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Not in the least.
    Perhaps you should make this a poll?

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I can't comfortably speak for the rest of the world, but I'm OK with it. I wouldn't be Supercharging much anyway*.

But, companies seem to have a pretty good handle on thermally-managed batteries. They might change the charging rate in response to data (see S/X90) but generally, they shouldn't need to.

* Unless circumstances changed.

19. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

I'm concerned we don't know everything there is we should be concerned about.

• Like x 2
  20. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Nope, not a bit.

RT