Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else concerned about the new battery packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new details about the new higher density battery packs having slower charge rates, I am wondering about the ability to cool them as effectively as the S/X packs. The historical data for Tesla battery packs even with lots of supercharging is quite amazing. I am concerned with the higher density that the thermal management system won't be able to be as effective as S/X have been so far. Combined with Elon's tweet that there is no plan currently to use the new packs in S/X... Anyone else?

The charge rate on the S is the same for the Long Range version of the M3. No issues there.
The standard range charges slower because there is not as many battery cells and initial charging always starts fast, then tapers off as the battery reaches full capacity. Thus in the same amount of time on a smaller pack, you get less range per minute of charging.

If you go on lots of long roadtrips weekly, get the Long Range. If not, you will never care except that one time per year when you drive long distance, and you have to take a few more stops

Generic graph.
tesla-model-s-supercharger-time-graph.jpg

I think 120k miles is more than generous. How many cars are there out there with 120k mile powertrain warranties?

Any new Hundai - you can get the dealer to double the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty to 20 years/200,000 for no cost. It is meaningless because no one keeps the car that long, even though Hyundai actually makes a decent car.

I'm concerned about the warranty on the battery. I plan on driving it a lot and I will definitely exceed 120k before 8 years. I sure hope battery replacement cost gets reasonable by then.

You will be earning so much more (many multiples) after 8 years, you should not worry about that. You can count on inflation in your salary and technology cost reduction.

With the new details about the new higher density battery packs having slower charge rates, I am wondering about the ability to cool them as effectively as the S/X packs. The historical data for Tesla battery packs even with lots of supercharging is quite amazing. I am concerned with the higher density that the thermal management system won't be able to be as effective as S/X have been so far. Combined with Elon's tweet that there is no plan currently to use the new packs in S/X... Anyone else?
Not in the least.
Perhaps you should make this a poll?

I can't comfortably speak for the rest of the world, but I'm OK with it. I wouldn't be Supercharging much anyway*.

But, companies seem to have a pretty good handle on thermally-managed batteries. They might change the charging rate in response to data (see S/X90) but generally, they shouldn't need to.

* Unless circumstances changed.

Nope, not a bit.

RT