Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else concerned about the new battery packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am concerned that you are concerned about the possibility that Tesla has not done the necessary engineering to validate the Model 3 battery pack adequately and is offering an 8-year 100,000 or 120,000 mile battery warranty just because they are hoping the pack will be okay after that much time and miles.

Tesla now has billions of miles of data on the S/X packs and they are holding up remarkably well, in fact far better than many naysayers and self-proclaimed "experts" predicted they would. The Model 3 cells are not fundamentally different from the S/X cells and the BMS must be basically the same.

Tesla has proven that their EV battery technology is the best in the world. It's only going to keep improving.

Oh, the Model 3 packs will hold up just fine. The only thing I'd be concerned about is having them spring things on us like throttling supercharging rates after a firmware update or reducing the power delivery after a certain number of launches. These things are totally not cool and I would be upset if my vehicle were affected.

This post by @wk057 is relevant to the discussion here:

The 2170 cells in the Model 3 pack, based on my math, do not have the same volumetric energy density as the 18650s being used in the 75/90/100 S/X packs. My speculation is that they're using chemistry similar to the older 60/85 type packs. I base this speculation on my own longevity testing of both types of 18650 cells which has the older cells proving to have a much more robust cycle life than the newer higher energy ones. It would make sense to utilize the time-proven and more resilient chemistry in their new cells, at least to start.

Assuming the 237 Wh/mi number is right, then 310 * 237 = ~73.5 kWh, which seems close enough to the advertised 75 kWh when accounting for a small buffer. The 237 Wh/mi number is definitely not wall-to-wheels.

Well if it matters to those of you who contributed to this thread, not hearing anyone is really concerned makes me feel better. The source of data was the supercharger rates were claimed to be lower than the S/X models. I am OK with this thread dying :)
This was speculation from one of the RCs at a supercharger... but another car was charging in the adjacent stall if I remember correctly, hence the lower than normal charging rate.

Here's the gallery where the original supercharging pic came from
Tesla Model 3 Exterior and Interior (while super charging)
note the other stalls
vJR0X5R.jpg

Any new Hundai - you can get the dealer to double the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty to 20 years/200,000 for no cost. It is meaningless because no one keeps the car that long, even though Hyundai actually makes a decent car.
My old Toyota Landcruiser was 29 years old, and the odometre stopped working at 150,000 KM.

I wound up rolling it during bad weather where I couldn't clearly see the lanes on the highway.

• Love
Reactions: scaesare
I have owned toyotas and hondas 200k miles on average... not a single repair and not even a single oil change. So reliable.
Ummm, not an oil change in 200k miles? Remind me to not buy your used cars! I have owned many reliable Japanese cars (Toyota, Honda, and Nissan) and I have spent small fortunes on preventive maintenance (oil changes, filters, flushes, timing belts, brakes, transmission exchanges, coolant flushes, etc) So while I am impressed with your low maintenance costs, I don't share them.

I'm sure someone has said this already but I'm not very concerned about the battery. If there's something wrong with it then Tesla is on the hook for a free replacement.

Even if it's after the long range battery warranty runs out at 8 years/120k miles, battery tech will be nearly a decade more advanced and presumably/hopefully there will be relatively cheap options for new or even "refurbished" packs. That may even include 3rd party battery pack manufacturers/installers at that point.