Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else concerned/feeling short changed taking delivery on the new Model 3/Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else concerned/feeling short changed taking delivery on the new Model 3/Y? Maybe I’m reading too much into the no radar, the lumbar support is something we’ve used so that is a major disappointment

Friend of mine got a car in January, I just feel short changed that his will have a few more features then mine. I know they’ll do updates to Tesla vision but so far all I’ve read is that the radar is superior to the vision. Very disappointing, waited so long for this car and am spending so much to have this short changed/disappointed feeling.

Enjoy your new car. Do not constantly compare your items to those of others.

Reminds me of when buyers were obsessing about the lack of bag hooks in their frunks. (Cost only a couple bucks it they wanted them). People that never previously had a frunk in their lives were in anguish that they were being deleted in new production.

FOMO is epidemic in out society.

To what I know current Tesla models will get an update soon so that the radar won’t be used anymore. So no matter if your car has radar or not, it won’t be used going forward so no difference here. As for the lumbar support, we got our M3 in August of 2020 and thr next delivery batch had auto trunk and heated steering wheels (update coming soon). But there is no point to complain as cars change every year for every brand, and always they usually add new stuff.

Reactions: cdswm3 and Vawlkus
Anyone else concerned/feeling short changed taking delivery on the new Model 3/Y? Maybe I’m reading too much into the no radar, the lumbar support is something we’ve used so that is a major disappointment

Friend of mine got a car in January, I just feel short changed that his will have a few more features then mine. I know they’ll do updates to Tesla vision but so far all I’ve read is that the radar is superior to the vision. Very disappointing, waited so long for this car and am spending so much to have this short changed/disappointed feeling.
It really depends what you use as a comparison. We bought our Model 3 LR RWD exactly three years ago. Today we could buy a pretty similar Model 3 (SR+) for about $20,000 less. I guess I could choose to feel short changed but on the other hand we have gotten to enjoy the car for the last three years. It's like anything we buy, the price and features will certainly change over time.

Reactions: menaknow and BitJam
I don't feel short changed at all. Perhaps because this is my first "fancy" car. I only buy a new car every 9-10, and my previous ones were a 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V and a 2012 Chevrolet Volt. Neither of those even had electrically adjusted seats. I didn't even know the Model 3 had lumbar support adjustment, so I'm not going to miss it.

In a sense, I'm actually happy about the removal of the radar. I've never had any interest in FSD, but I know that "phantom braking" would really annoy me. My one apprehension about the Model 3 is that it didn't have a fallback to just dumb cruise control that could be used if phantom braking became too annoying. My understanding is that removing the radar should eliminate most instances of phantom braking. If only for that, I'm pretty happy.

I am a bit disappointed by the change in the interior door panels however. I liked the larger white inserts in the for panels that were still being produced when I ordered. I'm OK with the new version with the wraparound trim, but I preferred the old one. Perhaps more annoying still is that the Y still has the old style that I prefer.

Anyways, none of this matters. I ordered my car specifically for the driving experience. It's my "fun car", a reward of sorts for some milestones I reached over the past year. I will enjoy it and drive the crap out of it and totally forget about these little details such as passenger lumbar support :)

the way i see Tesla cars is that you are not just buying a car, you are buying a piece of technology. Next year model will have better features than now and price may be more or lower than now. You never know because it is a pieace of tech that changes so fast Just like buying iphones but a very expensive one. If you have problem with that, maybe Lexus is a better option for you :):)

I'm about to take delivery in VT which has a lot of bad weather. The reports I've heard so far about no radar in the rain are mostly positive. A lot of people are reporting less phantom braking depending on what kind of road they're on. We have a Model 3 with passenger lumbar but we have never used it because the standard setting is pretty good. I think you might be overly stressing about non-issues or at the worst, very minor issues.

the way i see Tesla cars is that you are not just buying a car, you are buying a piece of technology. Next year model will have better features than now and price may be more or lower than now. You never know because it is a pieace of tech that changes so fast Just like buying iphones but a very expensive one. If you have problem with that, maybe Lexus is a better option for you :):)
But wait, what if Lexus adds new features for the following model year?!?

Oh, nevermind. Every car company does that every year already, and they have since cars were invented. 🙄

Most don’t do OTA updates like Tesla though. 😁

I was in exactly your spot last week. The radar removal seems rushed and the lumbar excuses are flimsy & pathetically unbelievable IMO.

So I told the delivery advisor to put my order on hold until next quarter. They unmatched me from the VIN and now I’m not stressed at all.

I’m not suggesting you do it, but it worked surprisingly well for me.

I was in exactly your spot last week. The radar removal seems rushed and the lumbar excuses are flimsy & pathetically unbelievable IMO.

So I told the delivery advisor to put my order on hold until next quarter. They unmatched me from the VIN and now I’m not stressed at all.

I’m not suggesting you do it, but it worked surprisingly well for me.
I’ve contemplated doing that but I sold my car and am now desperately in need of one now. My friend just took delivery and it’s funny how the circle is still there for the lumbar that isn’t there anymore.

Reactions: YieldFarmer
FSD/Autopilot must work better without radar, otherwise they wouldn't switch to it. I just picked up my M3 LR yesterday and no lumbar support on passenger side is not a big deal. Driver's side has it. And compared to last quarter, we now have heated steering wheel included and the car came with mud flaps installed (did not order them), license plate frame & they threw in the front glass roof screen as a bonus. Build quality was flawless as I expected to find a few short comings, but did not. My experience would say they are not short changing us for the money.

Here's my $0.02 even though I already have my 21 M3P and it's not missing these features.

1.) Radar - Yeah, I'm going to lose it in an update in this car at some point so it wouldn't be a big deal to me that it's missing from the new car.
2.) Lumbar - I've never used a lumbar button in a car before my M3P (and that was only after the threads started here that I played around with it) and I actually had to explain to my wife what lumbar support is, so you know she's never used it.
3.) Door Cards - Probably the only thing I'd get a little bothered by. The big white door panels in the cars up until the end of Q1 look SOOOO much better. (although I do like the new look on the black interior, it makes the wood across the dash seem less out of place)