Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else concerned/feeling short changed taking delivery on the new Model 3/Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took our MY, 10 days ago.

We are new Tesla owners - I've written about our concerns, frustrations and hesitation. Tesla has an ego throughout the sales process that is unparalleled IMO. I imagine Fremont HQ is like an episode of Silicon Valley with a bunch of dudes laughing about farts, drinking Red Bull and shrugging shoulders over customer service with sole focus on 'iterations'.

I have no experience to adequately compare the radar v cameras debate. The lumbar support is undoubtedly frustrating. Having said that we did our first long round trip, 600KM this past weekend. About 10 km from home, husband and I started talking about saving up for a Retirement Roadster.

Are there nicer finished exteriors out there? Yep.
Are there nicer finished interiors out there? Yep.
Will ICE OEM's up their game? Yep.
Do other OEM's have a great interface and software? No.
Do other OEM's have battery and charging tech like Tesla? No and not even close.

This last bit is really critical to me cause we were considering a Mach-E and I am SO glad we didn't go that route having just done a long road trip.

If you could match Tesla with a proper sales / customer care / PR company the OEM's wouldn't be able to compete.

Reactions: Ormond and Vawlkus
If you could match Tesla with a proper sales / customer care / PR company the OEM's wouldn't be able to compete.

Yep. And if wishes were horses, this beggar would ride. ;)

Your note reminds me of the first time I took a trip in my M3P. It’s amazing, nothing like it, clearly this is the future. It’s an awesome feeling.

I was about to trade that car on a 7-seat MY, but I put it on hold after the radar/lumbar deletions hit my new MY. I don’t really care about the missing features that much, but the BS excuses just don’t fly.

So now I’m going to be a while waiting to see how these changes settle out, and in the meantime VW is constantly reminding me about the ID.4. I’d get some nice features back that I missed from my last car - 360 cameras and CarPlay being the biggest - and I’d save almost $20K. Of course, I lose out on the supercharging network, but that’ll just be like going back to the early days of M3 ownership… another couple years will really flesh out the 3rd party charging options. And I can’t get hold of an ID.4 until 2022, so I’ll have to wait and compare it against the made-in-Texas 2022 MY.

But now I think that’s going to be a tougher comparison than I ever imagined it could be. The legacy automakers are a lot closer than I thought they would be, and they know how to scale manufacturing rapidly. Tesla had a big first-mover advantage, but they’ve squandered a lot of it chasing FSD & adding fart sounds to the car. Meanwhile legacy OEMs are focused on making electric versions of what were already very good vehicles.

I think the legacy manufacturers will do a lot better against Tesla than many people think, because they understand that a vehicle in the $50-$80K price range needs to have some nice “quality of life” features. Tesla either doesn’t get that, or they won’t be honest about it.

Anyhow, enjoy the Tesla grins, because it’s still an unbeatable experience… for now. ;)

Anyone else concerned/feeling short changed taking delivery on the new Model 3/Y? Maybe I’m reading too much into the no radar, the lumbar support is something we’ve used so that is a major disappointment

Friend of mine got a car in January, I just feel short changed that his will have a few more features then mine. I know they’ll do updates to Tesla vision but so far all I’ve read is that the radar is superior to the vision. Very disappointing, waited so long for this car and am spending so much to have this short changed/disappointed feeling.
Its only the lumbar on the passenger side thats missing. Ive had no issues at all with standard auto pilot in stop and go traffic. Full self driving is being developed without radar so i dont see chort changed at all. Just my 2c.

Took delivery of a new Model Y last week and I've driven it 480 miles so far. About 100 miles of that was at night in the rain. We also have a '18 M3 (long range, dual motor, just like the new Y except the 3 has radar). The Y appeared to perform as good or better than the 3 in the rain using autopilot. Both cars appeared to perform virtually identical in all other conditions which mostly included daylight and some night time without rain. Phantom breaking occurs the same amount and in the same places for both cars. The only difference I noticed was in lane departure warning which appeared to be much less aggressive in the new Y with no radar. Also, I tried to pass somebody and the auto-steer kicked off at about 75 mph. Tesla has stated that these last two items are temporary so I really don't feel like I've missed out on anything with lack of radar and just can't get worked up about passenger lumbar.

I'd like to add that Tesla's customer service with the delivery process was excellent. You couldn't ask for better treatment. Tesla's staff were quite busy but went out of their way to make sure I was happy.

Anyone else concerned/feeling short changed taking delivery on the new Model 3/Y? Maybe I’m reading too much into the no radar, the lumbar support is something we’ve used so that is a major disappointment

Friend of mine got a car in January, I just feel short changed that his will have a few more features then mine. I know they’ll do updates to Tesla vision but so far all I’ve read is that the radar is superior to the vision. Very disappointing, waited so long for this car and am spending so much to have this short changed/disappointed feeling.
not in the least bit.....im on my 59th car at 54 years old..)yes, i have issues!)....i had a 15 S...read issues just like this for years.....i bought the car because i believed in the brand, and Elons crazy mind..and never failed, by far the best car i had ever owned, and always got better.....people are saying "because its cheaper, and such regarding the vision vs radar...i believe there are reasons we dont yet know, they wouldnt do anything to hurt the brand.....im actually excited and glad to take delivery of a new 3 Performance next week with Tesla vision.....lumbar...ehhhh,,,....i just wish they would add vented and massage seats!......

So I just got my Model 3, noticed that the Monroney sticker doesn't list any of the deprecated functions - did cars before April 27 list those safety features?

Attachments

• 20210618_201250227_iOS (2).jpg
    20210618_201250227_iOS (2).jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 98