Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod comment

Post locked because it’s long since moved off the original question and has become yet another debate where neither side are going to change their opinion, and it just descends into personal comments. My heart sinks when I log in to see a barrage of reports posts that need sorting which is what’s happened.

Update:

I've been requested to reopen the thread so I have, but please try and keep to the topic and not use it as another opinion piece on whether you think Tesla are doing the right thing or not, we have enough of those elsewhere and people are allowed to express their opnion, we just don't need to turn every thread into one.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremymc7
Thanks for reopening the thread. I have cancelled my order for a M3LR scheduled for March 4th because it did not have parking sensors and Tesla could not provide me (I asked) with evidence that there was a functionality in development (beta) that could replace the USS functionality with something else, possibly Tesla Vision. I already have a 2019 M3SR+ and this has parking sensors. I have yet to recover my deposit (UK).

I'm also a shareholder and am concerned with the public perception of this issue.

Reactions: Zedbox
Thanks for reopening the thread. I have cancelled my order for a M3LR scheduled for March 4th because it did not have parking sensors and Tesla could not provide me (I asked) with evidence that there was a functionality in development (beta) that could replace the USS functionality with something else, possibly Tesla Vision. I already have a 2019 M3SR+ and this has parking sensors. I have yet to recover my deposit (UK).

I'm also a shareholder and am concerned with the public perception of this issue.
its the main reason I'm not actually buying a MY. I want one, but not until this issue is sorted.

Reactions: Zedbox
Got my Y in November. Came without USS. I probably would have cancelled if I could. Personal circumstances meant we needed a new car and at the time lead times were long and second hand car prices were just silly (may still be for all I know) and I needed the car for work. So I accepted it. I've been living without USS. Is it terrible? No, it's manageable, but it still p*sses me off how it was managed.

Will I buy another Tesla after this one? Chances are I will shop around and probably won't get another Tesla based on how this was managed and my communication with them (pretty much what everyone else is being told). Im sure its all legal. But I can vote with my wallet as mentioned above. In my opinion Tesla feel like people will just buy their cars regardless. And there's only one way they will realise.....

Reactions: Durzel and Zedbox
Cancel! I wish I would have cancelled. I received my MYP in January without them after waiting 7 months. Ordered in July when they had them.
EVERYDAY this car frustrates me to the point I will get another car. I drive in Europe, you can't imagine how big a deal this is coming from a premium car that had great sensors and 360 view.
The car is fast, fun to drive and looks really cool (Quicksilver), but this car makes me angry everyday for small stuff I never had to worry about in other cars. That being USS, the automatic wipers and useless cruise control (autopilot) in Europe.

Got my Y in November. Came without USS. I probably would have cancelled if I could. Personal circumstances meant we needed a new car and at the time lead times were long and second hand car prices were just silly (may still be for all I know) and I needed the car for work. So I accepted it. I've been living without USS. Is it terrible? No, it's manageable, but it still p*sses me off how it was managed.

Will I buy another Tesla after this one? Chances are I will shop around and probably won't get another Tesla based on how this was managed and my communication with them (pretty much what everyone else is being told). Im sure its all legal. But I can vote with my wallet as mentioned above. In my opinion Tesla feel like people will just buy their cars regardless. And there's only one way they will realise.....
Just to add a little more context. The USS situation is certainly a major factor. But other things annoy me too. Such as AHB comes on when it shouldn't (well lit town streets), auto windscreen wipers, hasn't been an issue much recently as it's not rained. But yesterday I got in and they started going nuts, no rain, nothing. I could hear a slight scraping so clearly there was something on the screen and no amount of windscreen wash was removing whatever it was and the wipers stayed on full until I turned them off. Later that day it rained and again they went nuts. Way too fast for the amount of rain (and whatever wasbon the screen had gone by this point as I checked). Not a major issue but never had this before in any of the many many cars I have driven over the years.
Finally the auto night mode (or whatever it's called) - I'm not sure how it detects when it's daylight but if we have driven the car in dark, then next day get in, it stays in dark mode until quite far from our house. I wonder if it's getting time info from the network because the signal isn't great at my house and it seems to adjust around the same time as Spotify kicks in (which we assume is due to network being poor). Again maybe seems like not a big issue, but when it's daylight and dark mode is on and we are having to reverse out of a longish driveway it can be very difficult to see the screen for reverse camera.

As Mrs. McChimp said to me: it's too clever for its own good.

Maybe updates over time will fix these but as it stands I do love driving the car, but I'm sure when it comes time to renew I'll enjoy driving other options as much so am very open to change.

Reactions: ikarusk
There’s some GPS stuff going on lately. At least for me. The last several (beta) releases think that I’m 5, 10, 15 miles away from my house when navigating. It figures it out after a few blocks but something is going on. I would say the GPS antennas just need to warm up / triangulate when leaving the garage but this is only a recent problem. Never an issue before.

Everything is a trade offs Tesla gives you stuff you can’t get elsewhere and likewise with other higher spec EV’s. But those gaps are closing so there will be more quality choices coming.

Tesla can be frustrating at times but it’s just another one of those trade offs.

Polestar and Audi have some decent stuff right now. But not as good bang for the buck as Tesla. That said they’re more traditional in nature but just EV based.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
I thought Musk promised 360 camera views with HW3 but taking bets at this point it will only be on HW4 and even then who knows how long.

The newer & coming Mercedes EV luxury sedans might be what you’re looking for.
Logically if/when vision parking is solved then some kind of 360 parking view could be achieved, since the logic involved in the car "remembering" what it has seen in front as you drive towards or away from it would enable it to build a 3D map of your surroundings. This is tangential to the whole "occupancy network" thing that is touted.

The problem (and here is where I get to earn my flyby disagrees :D) is that a) I don't have any confidence that the systems involved - cameras, AI, etc can discern all of these details in the sorts of conditions we experience (Some Stanford guys have done work in this area, but this is in lab conditions, and it's unknown what processing power is involved), b) I don't have the confidence that Tesla will deliver it in a reasonable timeframe because it's not a simple problem domain and c) I don't think it will be reliable when it is released.

if you think about what the cameras can "see" even just at night, forget about dirty rain contaminating the cameras, etc I can't conceive of how the car is supposed to know to a certainty - to the extent that it can with ultrasonics - about what obstacles are around it. I also don't think this is one of those first iPhones "you just don't get it man, you can't conceive of the magic you're about to see" moments either. You can't make a camera that has no night vision/IR capability suddenly see things clearly in the dark.

All of that is to say that I wouldn't trust a Tesla 360 view based on vision, rather than cameras installed and pointing in the right places (bumpers, mirrors, etc) as is done on other cars, or vision parking, except in absolutely ideal conditions - much like wipers, basically (I drove home last night at about 10pm with the car resolutely failling to wipe the screen often enough).

Logically if/when vision parking is solved then some kind of 360 parking view could be achieved, since the logic involved in the car "remembering" what it has seen in front as you drive towards or away from it would enable it to build a 3D map of your surroundings. This is tangential to the whole "occupancy network" thing that is touted.

The problem (and here is where I get to earn my flyby disagrees :D) is that a) I don't have any confidence that the systems involved - cameras, AI, etc can discern all of these details in the sorts of conditions we experience (Some Stanford guys have done work in this area, but this is in lab conditions, and it's unknown what processing power is involved), b) I don't have the confidence that Tesla will deliver it in a reasonable timeframe because it's not a simple problem domain and c) I don't think it will be reliable when it is released.

if you think about what the cameras can "see" even just at night, forget about dirty rain contaminating the cameras, etc I can't conceive of how the car is supposed to know to a certainty - to the extent that it can with ultrasonics - about what obstacles are around it. I also don't think this is one of those first iPhones "you just don't get it man, you can't conceive of the magic you're about to see" moments either. You can't make a camera that has no night vision/IR capability suddenly see things clearly in the dark.

All of that is to say that I wouldn't trust a Tesla 360 view based on vision, rather than cameras installed and pointing in the right places (bumpers, mirrors, etc) as is done on other cars, or vision parking, except in absolutely ideal conditions - much like wipers, basically (I drove home last night at about 10pm with the car resolutely failling to wipe the screen often enough).
Fully agree but I guess at this point I would take what I can get, give me a poor job of stitched / vectorised from all angle cameras including the ones in the B-pillar we don't get access to, at least when I'll have a doubt about parking in a tight space, I'll be able to glance at that, rather than swivelling my head everywhere like I'm in a 20 year old car...
When you think that bird's eye view is pretty much standard with any brand in that price range it's laughable really...

Reactions: GoVols! and Durzel
Behold! A £31k EV with 360 view and ultrasonics. Truly a car for the 1%.

5296E52B-6B6F-4EC3-AC46-8D383383FFB4.jpeg

My old mini had more buttons, USS and camera views and it costs around 14200 and it goes like go kart and can do 450miles with a full tank! - if that’s what you want.
I want a car sold in 2023 for a premium price that is touted as the techno geek's weapon of choice to have basic features that were standard equipment on anything half decent several years ago (or - case in point - on old minis).... but I'm a bit weird like that.

I just watched a review on the MG 4 EV and I have to say I was that impressed that I might be looking for one now. I need a second car and this is a great choice.
They are great. Not a patch on Tesla in terms of the software, and there's plenty of little idiosyncracies, but in terms of being an EV workhorse it's very tough to beat. For what you get for the price it is unbeatable (in my opinion).

I want a car sold in 2023 for a premium price that is touted as the techno geek's weapon of choice to have basic features that were standard equipment on anything half decent several years ago (or - case in point - on old minis).... but I'm a bit weird like that.
I wanted to buy a premium car in 2015 that had all the gizmos and zeroed it on the BMW 6 series - that one had 4 doors not the 2 door one - but guess what it didn’t have the basic feature of 3 seats at the back that was standard on any hatch backs that cost 1/4 of its price. Guess what I did I bought a car with 3 seats at the back that was essential to me even though that car didn’t have the look or the gizmos of a 6 series.

I wanted to buy a premium car in 2015 that had all the gizmos and zeroed it on the BMW 6 series - that one had 4 doors not the 2 door one - but guess what it didn’t have the basic feature of 3 seats at the back that was standard on any hatch backs that cost 1/4 of its price. Guess what I did I bought a car with 3 seats at the back that was essential to me even though that car didn’t have the look or the gizmos of a 6 series.
With respect it would be more analogous to say that the 6 series you wanted didn't even have seats in the back, rather than a suboptimal (for you) 2 seat solution.

Also, that the reason there were no seats in the back and instead there was just a gaping void wasn't because they had something better to offer you - it was because it saved BMW ~$113 in parts. Oh and that $113 saving wasn't passed on to you, nor was there even an option to choose to pay $113 extra to get some seats back to fill that void. Instead BMW said "we know best, but bear with us for half a year while we try and make a mattress fit there instead".

Reactions: Rob60 and spdpsba