Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cancelled my order of a MY LR QS with planned delivery on march 31st because of lack of USS or an at-par solution...
So this one will go into inventory and can make another one happy ;-)

The more I analyse this Tesla Vision, the more it is clear it is in part vaporware...
There's dead angles in front of the car (impossible to fully replace USS), it can't work in conditions with bad visibility (Fog, heavy rain, snowfall, dirty cameras, ...). Aside, you'll have to get out every time to clean the back camera when having driven in rain for example and wanting to park.

Next... Autopilot based on camera input alone can simply not work very well because it has so many restrictions in conditions with bad visibility.
The new Volvo EX platform implements 8 cameras, 16 USS (also on the sides), 5 radars, 1 LiDAR to create a complete vision of the surroundings in about any weather or visibility condition to obtain L2 autonomous driving.

This Tesla Vision (camera only) is simply a cost cutting excercise and has nothing to do with improvement.
Choosing for a European car maker again instead with better finish and customer service.

Of course, these are just my 2 cents...

P.
PeHoBe, Just seen an article Headline Tsunami of Tesla in Portugal, it looks like Tesla are trying to meet Q1 targets to impress the EV market, but shot themselves in the foot as in certain pick up hubs customers were asked to pick their vehicles up from parked delivery trucks.
You can bet they have also been conned into accepting the vehicle with out USS, bet once they twig will be p***** off like most of us. It looks like I was lucky as I picked my car up from a shed in the middle of a massive car park, guess that's A+++ customer excellent experience when compared to a car transporter truck. I wonder if they were asked to bring a drill, screwdrivers and bin bags to fit the number plates and take off any transport protective covering. I would like to be a fly on the wall to see how many have refused the vehicle.

If anyone is interested I will past the article, I thought it could not get any worst but.........

Tesla Vision is push out on latest public build so the fact that cars are coming with USS should be much less of an issue for people now. Well except for those that absolutely insist they need USS version instead of Vision version.

Most of the complaints I've seen were for people that complaining about not having anything instead of it not being USS.

Either way I was shocked to see this drop so quick. I figured it would be several more months for Tesla to get the Vision version of USS out.

Reactions: boombap
Tesla Vision is push out on latest public build so the fact that cars are coming with USS should be much less of an issue for people now. Well except for those that absolutely insist they need USS version instead of Vision version.

Most of the complaints I've seen were for people that complaining about not having anything instead of it not being USS.

Either way I was shocked to see this drop so quick. I figured it would be several more months for Tesla to get the Vision version of USS out.
I appreciate it's personal opinion. But in my opinion it's not quick. I've had a car 5 months with no park assist (USS or vision). But I agree. I expected to wait longer. But I shouldn't have had to wait at all. The replacement should have been ready before USS were removed. Just because it's quick for Tesla doesn't make it quick. Or right.

Edit: sorry. I've had the car 4 months.... Still...

Last edited:
I appreciate it's personal opinion. But in my opinion it's not quick. I've had a car 5 months with no park assist (USS or vision). But I agree. I expected to wait longer. But I shouldn't have had to wait at all. The replacement should have been ready before USS were removed. Just because it's quick for Tesla doesn't make it quick. Or right.

Edit: sorry. I've had the car 4 months.... Still...
We will see how good vision is to replace USS for park assist, we are still waiting for delivery along with Park, summons and special summons. In my opinion Tesla is on a downward slope, where Tesla owners dreams are turning into nightmares. I believe that in the ever growing EV market with other manufacturers gaining the edge, Tesla cannot afford discontented customers if it is to survive. The question I am asked is are you pleased with the car, yes if it was delivered to speck, which it was not, do you trust tesla's to deliver or exceed customers expectations, absolutely not, would you buy another Tesla defiantly not.

Whilst I am encouraged to see the roll-out of this functionality, the fact remains that Tesla's handling of this has been a complete and utter shambles which has caused lasting reputational damage.

I have owned two Tesla's. There will not be a third.
I feel the same way. I am excited to hear the functionality is rolling out and will be glad to get it.

I don't like the way Tesla managed it and it's left a sour taste for me.

As to whether I will buy another in future. I don't know. I still have 3.5 years on my finance deal so all this may be a distant memory by then.

None of this is really new for Tesla. This is just par for the course.

One of the reasons I held off before getting the first one and I’ve hard several now.

If you do your research know what you’re getting into. Maybe not the specifics but the the fact that their I don’t know eccentric.

I think part of the problem is they’ve moved from hand built limited production to niche to mass production; but it’s not really run like Audi, Mercedes, etc.

But for everything they don’t do like the “big guys” they do something else that none of the others do. Audi wouldn’t even do a software update even if I paid them. Now if I could prove something was broken and I was under warranty then they might do the update. But to get an update that improved or added something nope.

Even my $6k Sony Master OLED stopped getting updates as soon as the new model shipped. While LG does updates years after being discontinued. Sony has better performance and more features but LG at least keeps supporting and improving. Mixed bag, just like Tesla and the big guys.

I feel the same way. I am excited to hear the functionality is rolling out and will be glad to get it.

I don't like the way Tesla managed it and it's left a sour taste for me.

As to whether I will buy another in future. I don't know. I still have 3.5 years on my finance deal so all this may be a distant memory by then.
Most automakers dont even update crap. Lets not forget that minor detail. Tesla put out that they will come up with replacement when its ready. They did. I knew that when I bought the car. Forumitis drives alot of anxiety and negativity into people such as the title of this post. As always Tesla delivered. So far the product works well even though its a rainy camera blocking day in Michigan. So Awesome!!!
I am happy I bought a vehicle from a company that supports its consumer with updates and upgrades… free for the first 8 years!!! That on top of the low price of the car… my only good investment this year! 🤣

Reactions: spdpsba and boombap
Most automakers dont even update crap. Lets not forget that minor detail. Tesla put out that they will come up with replacement when its ready. They did. I knew that when I bought the car. Forumitis drives alot of anxiety and negativity into people such as the title of this post. As always Tesla delivered. So far the product works well even though its a rainy camera blocking day in Michigan. So Awesome!!!
I am happy I bought a vehicle from a company that supports its consumer with updates and upgrades… free for the first 8 years!!! That on top of the low price of the car… my only good investment this year! 🤣
That's true. But I've also not had a car delivered missing a feature.

Theses days with chip shortages and supply chain issues it’s become pretty common for things to arrive missing features. Ford and BMW are no exception.

Now I think Tesla may be doing this more than others. But since many of their missing features are software related they (eventually) try and make it right.

BMW on the other had gave what $100 credit when they couldn’t provide touchscreens and never bothered to swap the parts later. If it was $500-1000 I might appreciate it more. But $100 is insulting.

I’m not saying Tesla is better. Just that this is kind of common these days.

Then you run into things that are more of a recall like defective airbag sensors that some manufacturers had and took a year to fix. Seriously something life saving.

Reactions: RedY23 and boombap
Theses days with chip shortages and supply chain issues it’s become pretty common for things to arrive missing features. Ford and BMW are no exception.

Now I think Tesla may be doing this more than others. But since many of their missing features are software related they (eventually) try and make it right.

BMW on the other had gave what $100 credit when they couldn’t provide touchscreens and never bothered to swap the parts later. If it was $500-1000 I might appreciate it more. But $100 is insulting.

I’m not saying Tesla is better. Just that this is kind of common these days.

Then you run into things that are more of a recall like defective airbag sensors that some manufacturers had and took a year to fix. Seriously something life saving.
It may be the case it's more common now. In my experience it's never happened to me before. If Tesla had contacted me and said the car is coming with no USS I wouldn't have been happy. But a lot better than it just turning up without them and when I contacted them about it told it's coming "soon" with no confirmed date....

Others may disagree. But for me, Tesla could have managed this waaaaay better.

It hasn't really changed my driving experience. But it did change my purchasing experience. I have worked in sales for over 20 years and my experience has taught me that bad news needs to be communicated as soon as possible if no fix is on the horizon.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is that this could have been managed in a more customer friendly way. Wether it was intended to or not. It came across as arrogant, and put a negative slant on my buying experience.

Do I hate the car? No, there's lots I love about it and the missing parking sensors are only minor in the grand scheme of things. Will I buy another Tesla in future? I don't know. I don't like the way Tesla handled this. Does it make me feel any better knowing BMW or Ford have done the same? Nope. I'd feel the same way if it was a Lamborghini, Skoda, Lada or whatever. I don't care what other makers are doing. I care what Tesla did. Because that is what I bought
*Sugar* happens. Its how you fix it that's important. This was Tesla's doing and they didn't have a solution ready before removing USS. That's what has annoyed me most.

And that is way too many uses of the word "experience" for one post.

Last edited:
At least for me, when i purchased Jan 23, they said the feature would be available at a later time. Up front with me. I like that better than we dont offer it at all and have to wait until next model year comes out in sept or whatever. This way they can make changes and still keep cars flowing.

Sadly not there yet, when will we get Park, summons and special summons, most complaints is paying for functions which were and have not yet been delivered. Whilst a move in the in the right direction Tesla needs to fully deliver if it wants to be treated seriously in a competitive EV market.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: DanDi58 and boombap
Sadly not there yet, when will we get Park, summons and special summons, most complaints is paying for functions which were and have not yet been delivered. Whilst a move in the in the right direction Tesla needs to fully deliver if it wants to be treated seriously in a competitive EV market.
jeremymc7 The issue is that you pay for a number of functions that to date 6 month down the line have not been delivered. If you purchased a 4K smart TV at £3400 and you get home and you can only see a couple of channels, but there is a note the rest will are coming soon. Would you find it acceptable?