Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That being the case did it stop as shown in the photo or much before, if its seen the kerb I would have expected it to stop before otherwise a higher kerb would have taken out your bumper bottom.
No it did want to stop before and I reversed back slightly more based on the camera view.
Not scientific but I wanted to post something for those waiting.

Boombap, Early days! Rear end not such a problem but front is a different issue, even your super eyes cant see what's in front of your bumper.
Uh… Pretty sure I can because of that big transparent rectangle up front called a windscreen and being able to judge distances, which is generally a skill you need to hold a driving licence anyway, likewise for not falling down more often when going for a walk. But don’t let me interrupt your grumpfest with silly things like facts and logic and being able to drive.

All I can say is, you must be a terrible driver if you need this capability so much. You should perhaps sell the car. :cool:
DanDi58, I don't consider myself a bad driver and touch wood 45 years of London West End driving not reversed into anything or scratched my or other vehicles but in my early days cars had "bumpers" and later owned fully loaded Honda and BMW and I am sure the USS and radar helped me maintain my NCB. But I agree that there are some super fantastic drivers who can maneuver into tight parking spaces one handed with their eyes closed.

For the record my biggest attraction was summons, it was worth the £3400 to pull the car out of tight spaces such as car parks and garages to fully open the door, to avoid unnecessary pressure and twisting of knee joints especially after knee replacements surgery, which I hope you will not need. I always believe that if you pay for what you need and is on offer, then you should expect to get it.

Lastly your comment suggesting I sell the car, is somewhat arrogant, at the time of placing the order it had the facilities I needed to meet my requirements and needs. Furthermore the sale person after my standard and extended test drive demonstrated summons as I could not try it out as you are only given a card.

Fortunately I did not invest in Tesla shares and yes, I am fortunate that my Y is fully paid for and whilst I like the car and at present don't consider selling, I could afford to sell the car if getting in and out becomes too much of a problem.

Reactions: Exy1
Fortunately I did not invest in Tesla shares

Fortunate why? That you didn't invest short-term into a bear market - probably. But if you'd invested early (like me and various others here on the forum) you could've made a huge amount of money. And there's massive potential to make a significant sum investing even today, if you're a long-term investor. Don't see how your comment relates to anything else in your post or being discussed here, but would just like to point out your word usage is rather misplaced.

• Helpful
Reactions: DanDi58 and boombap
Fortunate why? That you didn't invest short-term into a bear market - probably. But if you'd invested early (like me and various others here on the forum) you could've made a huge amount of money. And there's massive potential to make a significant sum investing even today, if you're a long-term investor. Don't see how your comment relates to anything else in your post or being discussed here, but would just like to point out your word usage is rather misplaced.
I am pleased that you have made a huge amount of money and sincerely hope you continue to do so, investment is an individual personal choice. My reason for mention Tesla shares that whilst I don't believe I have been rude or insulted anybody, it appears that some Tesla owners are quick to condemn those who have paid but not received goods, labeling them as bad inadequate drivers who should not be on the road and sell their cars.
I hold an IAM advanced driving certificate and classify myself as an average driver and believe in modern systems and functions to support and aid drivers, why would anybody want ETA or FSD if its not to enhance driving safety, otherwise may as well go back to driving a basic manual car.

Reactions: Exy1 and Durzel
I'm considering getting a Model Y but wonder if there's any info on when it will get Hardware 4?

I kinda really want that RADAR!

Anyone have any intel on it?

Also I've heard that there are battery differences. The Long Range seems like a good deal, but does it have worse batteries at the moment or something?

worse batteries

My opinion is you don't need to worry about any of the current batteries. They are going to see your ownership out (and most likely the bodywork etc. of the car too). I would buy the longest range you can afford (unless you only ever nip-to-the-shops :) ) to reduce the times when you have to use public charging (including Superchargers - which will become more congested over time) - and, for me, that would include not fitting bigger-wheels etc.

when it will get Hardware 4?

Tesla do continuous modification (rather than "Model Years") ... so the day after you buy it something new may come out. Buy it when it will benefit you - enjoyment to drive, home charging, supercharger network, miles-per-kWh efficiency - whichever :)

Are you considering other brands?

Tesla do continuous modification (rather than "Model Years") ... so the day after you buy it something new may come out. Buy it when it will benefit you - enjoyment to drive, home charging, supercharger network, miles-per-kWh efficiency - whichever :)

Are you considering other brands?

I've rented a Tesla model 3 and the phantom stops freaked me out too much. I did a cross country trip with it and every day it would basically jam on the brakes at high speed on the highway. I thought we were very lucky that no one rear ended us.

So my hope is that with the new RADAR the system will be able to figure out that shadows etc. are not obstacles and that will fix the phantom braking.

Not sure what other brands to consider really. I want the range and features of a Model Y or 3 long range and don't want to pay more than those cost (actually I wish I could pay less, but that's another story).

• Funny
Reactions: jeremymc7
I've rented a Tesla model 3 and the phantom stops freaked me out too much. I did a cross country trip with it and every day it would basically jam on the brakes at high speed on the highway. I thought we were very lucky that no one rear ended us.

Chatter on the forum seems to suggest that this happens to some people way more than others. Very rarely happens to me (I've had several Tesla, in all of them phantom braking has been a rare occurrence). I don't have any explanation for this (might be calibration of cameras perhaps, or maybe a particular combination of CONFIG settings). Sorry, no help, but it might be that a different car would behave better for you. At some point Tesla will fix it ... that might be a long wait!

I don't think Radar (etc.) will fix it. The code in current AP is "stale" and not much incentive for Tesla to fix it - until the FSD-beta stuff, currently only in USA (and maybe Canada), matures such that it can replace the current code in AP lock-stock-and-barrel... that might be a long wait too!

I want the range and features of a Model Y or 3 long range

Not much else that competes with that. Tesla efficiency means getting 4 miles / kWh is doable, and unlikely in most other marques.

Price is likely to fall more over the coming months/

Reactions: jeremymc7
They took my money because I gave them the money after I read what the car comes with and does not come with. They didnt charge me for USS and they indicated that park assist not available at this time. Not to mention it was on a $13,000 sale. Plus 7500 rebate. We stole the car from them. Like a bandit. There is nothing out there that can do 0/60 in 3.2 or so sec for this price. Usually more than 100k for that speed. Also it it was me I would charge for the incredible Supercharge Netowrk.. a monthly user fee at least. You get that for free. Again no one else even comes close in that dept.
I declined to pay for Autopilot until the issue is resolved. Legally there was no fraud. Also they didnt list USS as part of my car. Frankly one less part to break.
The forum drives high expectations and anxiety. There are hundreds of posts of how people want USS back and they will return or not take car. So far my cameras working well for park assist even with crappy weather. All just had to wait a little. Post covid people need to be a little more patient.
RedY23. I would agree that Park assist has been replaced, I would disagree that its as good or reliable as USS at present. I find it hit and miss and cannot be relied upon as it does not show 9" x 9" brick pillars and 24" garden wall in good or bad weather by the front facing cameras, the rear is better but distance displayed when reversing in my garage are never the same. Despite written and verbal promises still waiting for Park, summon and special summons, doubt that will be delivered or working in the near or distance future.
Lastly I disagree with stripping equipment for cost cutting before having a working alternative , that is coming to bite, as Tesla is now in seventh place in hands free driving and constant price reduction is starting to back fire with price increases in certain models.
I would agree that they did not list USS when contracted to purchase the car BUT Tesla did list Park, park assist, summons and special summons which has not been delivered.

Reactions: Durzel
I have just ordered a MYP coming from a 21 M3P so I am keen to see what the new set up is like. Thankfully I reverse park all the time so rarely need the front sensors, hopefully they will be functional before I need them!

The removal of USS does seem a little premature but I didn’t feel the need to wait for HW4, it will be better but the benefits of the new hardware will be 12-18 months to be realised in software by which time I will be looking for my next upgrade.

They took my money because I gave them the money after I read what the car comes with and does not come with. They didnt charge me for USS and they indicated that park assist not available at this time. Not to mention it was on a $13,000 sale. Plus 7500 rebate. We stole the car from them. Like a bandit. There is nothing out there that can do 0/60 in 3.2 or so sec for this price. Usually more than 100k for that speed. Also it it was me I would charge for the incredible Supercharge Netowrk.. a monthly user fee at least. You get that for free. Again no one else even comes close in that dept.
I declined to pay for Autopilot until the issue is resolved. Legally there was no fraud. Also they didnt list USS as part of my car. Frankly one less part to break.
The forum drives high expectations and anxiety. There are hundreds of posts of how people want USS back and they will return or not take car. So far my cameras working well for park assist even with crappy weather. All just had to wait a little. Post covid people need to be a little more patient.
RedY23, they also took my money, which I gave them, no issues there, I too read what the car comes with and does not, but sadly did not get what was included in the ETA as advertised. Therefore I feel cheated, which I assume you would feel the same.
I also paid for auto pilot and did realise that EAT and FSD was an ongoing improvement, but the basic parking features were listed as available, then 10 days before delivery got was informed that "for a short period of time" during the transfer from USS to Camera that all the parking features would not be available. I contacted tesla to cancel the order and was assured both verbally and in writing that improved features would be available and working by the New Year, which now at the end of April only park assist has been restored and that is certainly nowhere near better than my neibours 2021 Y vehicle fitted with USS.

I am please you have got a massive discount on your purchase and a 7500 rebate that's benefit of a free market. I would not chirp too loudly on the superchargers which were exclusive for Tesla users, they are now opened up to third party, with some vehicles taking two bays in order to connect and not being able to condition the battery unlike Tesla charging will take longer. Lastly achieving 0-60kmh in 3.2 seconds does not personally excite me as there are very few few occasions that such acceleration would be useful, but park and summons and an accurate park assist would be.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Simavon
I actually prefer the smooth bumper and no uss. the bumpers look so clean with no holes cut. the radar is needed I would say . And yes bmw and ford “autopilot” is much smoother and never brakes too hard like a Tesla will just slam on the brake when a car cuts across the road 100m ahead , but this car is still a baby and is actually a teenager learning to drive so I give it the benifit of doubt. However I can look over these issues as I have been driving cars since the early 90s and never need these granny assists. I learned to drive before all this tech except for cruise control. Not once did I ever scratch my rims or back into another car or wall or curb . And I used to drive a giant pickup truck and Chevy Suburban and even a For Excursion. The largest Sub ever made. Those cars didn’t even have backup camera or any sensors. I just learned to look and judge the distance myself me with practice. Just enjoy the the cars and fiddling with new tech that we support by paying for so the future tech has a foundation to build upon. We are essentially investing in these cars to make them better in the future. Tesla has to start somewhere and grow just like any other manufacturer.

I actually prefer the smooth bumper and no uss. the bumpers look so clean with no holes cut. the radar is needed I would say . And yes bmw and ford “autopilot” is much smoother and never brakes too hard like a Tesla will just slam on the brake when a car cuts across the road 100m ahead , but this car is still a baby and is actually a teenager learning to drive so I give it the benifit of doubt. However I can look over these issues as I have been driving cars since the early 90s and never need these granny assists. I learned to drive before all this tech except for cruise control. Not once did I ever scratch my rims or back into another car or wall or curb . And I used to drive a giant pickup truck and Chevy Suburban and even a For Excursion. The largest Sub ever made. Those cars didn’t even have backup camera or any sensors. I just learned to look and judge the distance myself me with practice. Just enjoy the the cars and fiddling with new tech that we support by paying for so the future tech has a foundation to build upon. We are essentially investing in these cars to make them better in the future. Tesla has to start somewhere and grow just like any other manufacturer.
Audiotronics: We all like smooth bumpers but I fear that they will not be smooth for very long if relying on camera vision to assist in parking. I have been driving since 1967 where some cars had only three gears and one had to double-de-clutch to shift gears, we did have robust chrome bumpers to protect the car body work, but manufacturers have generally always gone forwards never back.
I also accept that Tesla is continuing to improve in moving to FSD, however I fear that in Elon is juggling too many balls and cannot devote time to all his majour projects and Tesa is suffering and loosing ground to other manufacturers. There is also an erosion of trust, there is a limit on how many times one can spin soundbites that don't materialise, sadly cant see software always replacing hardware, especially where the replacement is worst and there is no going back leaving owners with a poor product.

Tesla is too keen to strip equipment out such as Radar, rain and USS sensors and then worry about finding a software solution which when released is not better than previous and assuming customers are prepared to be sucked in and have to go without for month. That may have previously worked but owners have wised and will hold Tesla to account when thinking of vehicle replacement.
I paid top dollar for my Y, but at the time did not have any regrets, there were many benefits in owning a Tesla, but that's all being eroded away, Tesla charging stations being opened up to non Tesla cars, volumes increasing all relying on the existing service centers leading to poor service.
How many balls have to drop before the penny drops?

I'm considering getting a Model Y but wonder if there's any info on when it will get Hardware 4?

I kinda really want that RADAR!

Anyone have any intel on it?

Also I've heard that there are battery differences. The Long Range seems like a good deal, but does it have worse batteries at the moment or something?
The best thing about waiting for HW4 is the car will be a lot cheaper too! And they might have even added back parking sensors by then!