Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the black/dark accents?

Shelburne

Mar 9, 2021
Shelburne Falls, MA
I think the chrome delete look works on a red car, but not with any other color...just my opinion. I have a 2020 M3 in blue with beautiful "chrome" trim and those gorgeous 19 inch "chrome" wheels. Personally, I think it would look ugly and cheaper with black trim and wheels, but again...just my opinion.

TBrownTX

Dec 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
I think the chrome delete look works on a red car, but not with any other color...just my opinion. I have a 2020 M3 in blue with beautiful "chrome" trim and those gorgeous 19 inch "chrome" wheels. Personally, I think it would look ugly and cheaper with black trim and wheels, but again...just my opinion.

I think my M3P w/ black trim and gunmetal Uberturbines looks bad a$$, but to each his own.

Tim

IMG_2420.jpeg

GreenHokie

Sep 26, 2019
central Virginia
There should be no doubt that the majority of the population still prefers some chrome accents on their vehicles. Just look at every major (or even the smaller) car manufacturer and you’ll notice that chrome accents are used almost across their entire vehicle line-up. The obvious reason is car manufacturers do their research and know what most buyers want… some chrome-like accents to make the vehicle look a little nicer and feel more “premium”. Of course, car manufacturers do also offer some models/trims with a blacked-out look, but that is normally used on just a few specific models/trims they wish to market as “sporty”.

Personally, I don’t like the blacked-out look, and like others have said, I too associate black trim as being/looking cheap. Also, every time I see a vehicle with black rims/wheels, I think to myself… man, that person needs to clean/detail his wheels! A vehicle with black wheels always looks dirty (not clean) to me.

Having said all this, I still like to see vehicles on the road with black trim/wheels. Would be kind of boring if every vehicle looked the same. Besides, those “dirty” blacked-out vehicles just make mine look even cleaner/nicer!! :cool: ;)

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
The obvious reason is car manufacturers do their research and know what most buyers want… some chrome-like accents to make the vehicle look a little nicer and feel more “premium”.
Empirically, there are many things that manufacturers do that MANY buyers dislike, because they're overriden by manufacturer dictates be it for cost reasons or engineering reasons or simply management discretion.

There's nearly unanimous disdain for BMW M3's new gigantic grills; pervasiveness of glossy black plastic interior trim; heavy use of capacitive buttons e.g. in new VWs. Nobody wants those things.

GreenHokie

Sep 26, 2019
central Virginia
Empirically, there are many things that manufacturers do that MANY buyers dislike, because they're overriden by manufacturer dictates be it for cost reasons or engineering reasons or simply management discretion.

There's nearly unanimous disdain for BMW M3's new gigantic grills; pervasiveness of glossy black plastic interior trim; heavy use of capacitive buttons e.g. in new VWs. Nobody wants those things.
Yeah, we can definitely agree BMW’s new massive grille design looks pretty bad/ugly.
Thankfully, very few other car manufacturers have gone this bold route.… I guess because most manufacturers understand/realize super big grilles are not universally accepted/liked. Not to say large grilles don’t look good, cause I do think some of the larger grille designs out there right now look great.

So, I think my point is… usually when every car manufacturer has/uses the exact same particular feature in all their vehicle line-ups (like chrome accents), that‘s a clear indicator they have identified that most consumers still prefer/want that particular feature in their vehicles. Sure, 1 or 2 car companies may miss the mark on offering a feature or style. But, when all car manufacturers have/offer the same thing (like chrome accents), there should be no doubt that feature is what most buyers want.

Last edited:

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Believe it or not, I had to delete a post in this very thread because the poster tried to equate the "blacked out look" with "evil" and a desire to go to (the opposite of Christian heaven).

I get that people tend to get passionate about their color choices, but.......

shrug, lol

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC