Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the black/dark accents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a white on white M3P, I've always liked the "lightness" of the white, and while I like the chrome delete around the windows, I'm not a fan of the dark wheels and black door handles. Thinking of getting white handle covers and silver 20" wheels, but hate the idea of having to do anything on a brand new $60k car! I know many like the dark wheels, which I don't mind on dark cars, but hate the black and white zebra look...I just wish they'd have door handles that color matched the car, so much cleaner IMO...

Reactions: Watts_Up
I feel like I agree with this, the black trim looks fantastic on the red but makes the white car look very base model.

My white 2020 Model 3 has blacked out side cameras but I like the chrome surround on the window. I may make the handles white but that is still an open debate.

In life, we always want what we don't have right?
When these things were chrome, people turned them black.
Now that they're black, people want to something else haha.

Always have to “make it your own” somehow.

In the industry, chrome is out, Tesla is just following suit. Agree the dark look appears better/worse on certain colors.

With white, I’d just embrace my inner stormtrooper and call it a day!

Tim

Reactions: NpOverspeed
Always have to “make it your own” somehow.

In the industry, chrome is out, Tesla is just following suit. Agree the dark look appears better/worse on certain colors.

With white, I’d just embrace my inner stormtrooper and call it a day!

Tim
I know TSLA is different in all things, but what other car company does black door handles on all colors? I can only think of outdated truck/SUVs with big black plastic handles...

Reactions: kysrsoze
I know TSLA is different in all things, but what other car company does black door handles on all colors? I can only think of outdated truck/SUVs with big black plastic handles...
One example is the brand new Cadillac CT5-V I was considering versus my M3P, maybe not the door handles, but the chrome is gone.

Tesla has door handles like none other, that’s for sure.

Was fun watching my Wife use it for the first time earlier today. Totally baffled, and when it was time to get out, baffled again! LOL

Tim

I think most would want color matched handles and black window trim!

not me, because contrast looks good in most places. You dont like the "stormtrooper" look that white with black accents has. I hated with the passion of 10 fiery suns the chrome trim on my model 3 P. Chrome trim is a "luxury car" "tell". Black trim is generally "sporty" car.

Exact color matched handles would make finding the handles for passengers even more difficult than it already is (and if you dont have the car yet, you are going to find out how hard it is for people who have never been in your car to understand what to do with your door handles).

Reactions: TBrownTX
I'm glad I didn't do a chrome delete on my white M3P. Every pic of one with the chrome delete looks chintzy to me. I agree... "base model." I feel like this murdered out obsession has gone too far on a lot of cars. Chrome delete looks great on darker colors, but looks terrible to me on lighter colors - almost like a police car.

Now you're going to see people wanting to do a black trim delete with chrome wraps. 😄

As in most things to do with colors, styles, mods etc...its all down to personal taste. For me I think Chrome looks ghastly. I also think black door handles on white look ghastly. I had my chrome delete done in the same color as my dark gray 2020 P wheels and the handles done in same white as the car. For me it looks fantastic...but I know that others would hate it. Do I care? Nope!

What's the point of this thread? Seems like it was created to create a stir to those who chrome deleted their cars (calling them base models, cheap-looking, etc). Everyone has their own taste. If you don't like it, you shouldn't need reinforcement for your OPINION to be valid. Like what you like, do what you want.

To each their own. Personally, I really don't like the black wheels and the black trim. I bought my M3 LR in September of 2020. I was happy to pay the extra bucks and suffer the slightly reduced range in order to have the 19" "chrome" wheels. Now that Tesla has done away with chrome, I'm not even sure I would buy a new one. Glad I got mine when I did. But it would be nice if Tesla would give buyers the choice of chrome or black trim.

1618748237676.jpeg

Interesting thread here. I do think black trim looks cool in some instances. But in general, not a big fan. Here’s why. In manufacturing, where I spent most of my career, generally black plastic is the cheapest to produce. You typically used to see base model vehicles with black trim, handles, bumpers, etc. because of low cost of materials. Thusly, those in ‘my generation’ always associated the blacked out components as cheap. But those in “today’s generation” see it as super cool and upscale looking. Same thing applies to vehicles with matte finish. To me it looks like primer on an unfinished or repaired car.
So those ‘older’ people like me, we tend to stick to the shiny chrome and glossy finishes. Younger generations go for the chrome deletes and matte finishes. I totally respect both trains of thought.
What do I drive? A Super glossy black Model 3 with lots of shiny chrome!!
Hope I didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings here.

I have a 2020 loaner with the cheap chrome plastic trim. I hate it. I'm not a "younger generation" but I'm in the middle somewhere. Chrome today is not chrome of yesterday. It's for the most part cheap plastic they throw on any base model and you have to pay for the black accents now. Look at any GM product now.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I don't know what brand your 2020 loaner was, but if the "chrome trim" was plastic, then your loaner wasn't a Tesla Model 3. Of course, the chrome trim on my 2020 Model 3 isn't chrome either, but it's definitely metal. And for the record, real chrome (as in chromium) trim hasn't been around for decades. Why? Because it was expensive to put real chrome plating on all those parts and the chrome plating tended to rust, pit and flake off after awhile. Thank God that as you say, "Chrome today is not the chrome of yesterday."

I mostly agree. I think the black trim only looks good with certain colors, and it's the reason I bought MSM. I like blue but thought the blue/black wasn't a good look. I don't know that I love the chrome, but at least it 'matched' every color equally.

I mostly agree. I think the black trim only looks good with certain colors, and it's the reason I bought MSM. I like blue but thought the blue/black wasn't a good look. I don't know that I love the chrome, but at least it 'matched' every color equally.

Funny, I love the blue / black look. Was also the same upper end trim on the Cadillac CT5-V I was considering. I think chrome with lighter colors, like white, looks ghastly. To each his own I suppose!

Tim

I just ordered a white on white M3P, I've always liked the "lightness" of the white, and while I like the chrome delete around the windows, I'm not a fan of the dark wheels and black door handles. Thinking of getting white handle covers and silver 20" wheels, but hate the idea of having to do anything on a brand new $60k car! I know many like the dark wheels, which I don't mind on dark cars, but hate the black and white zebra look...I just wish they'd have door handles that color matched the car, so much cleaner IMO...
I like my parent's current model 3 2021 dark accents, it looks luxurious and extraordinary.

I hate chrome delete. Chrome has its place in contrasting a bit against any dark color. Chrome delete with everything black just cheapens the entire vehicle. Not everyone is a fan of the Hooligan menacing look.

Reactions: Shelburne