Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the black/dark accents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the chrome delete look works on a red car, but not with any other color...just my opinion. I have a 2020 M3 in blue with beautiful "chrome" trim and those gorgeous 19 inch "chrome" wheels. Personally, I think it would look ugly and cheaper with black trim and wheels, but again...just my opinion.

I think the chrome delete look works on a red car, but not with any other color...just my opinion. I have a 2020 M3 in blue with beautiful "chrome" trim and those gorgeous 19 inch "chrome" wheels. Personally, I think it would look ugly and cheaper with black trim and wheels, but again...just my opinion.

I think my M3P w/ black trim and gunmetal Uberturbines looks bad a$$, but to each his own.

Tim

IMG_2420.jpeg

There should be no doubt that the majority of the population still prefers some chrome accents on their vehicles. Just look at every major (or even the smaller) car manufacturer and you’ll notice that chrome accents are used almost across their entire vehicle line-up. The obvious reason is car manufacturers do their research and know what most buyers want… some chrome-like accents to make the vehicle look a little nicer and feel more “premium”. Of course, car manufacturers do also offer some models/trims with a blacked-out look, but that is normally used on just a few specific models/trims they wish to market as “sporty”.

Personally, I don’t like the blacked-out look, and like others have said, I too associate black trim as being/looking cheap. Also, every time I see a vehicle with black rims/wheels, I think to myself… man, that person needs to clean/detail his wheels! A vehicle with black wheels always looks dirty (not clean) to me.

Having said all this, I still like to see vehicles on the road with black trim/wheels. Would be kind of boring if every vehicle looked the same. Besides, those “dirty” blacked-out vehicles just make mine look even cleaner/nicer!! :cool: ;)

The obvious reason is car manufacturers do their research and know what most buyers want… some chrome-like accents to make the vehicle look a little nicer and feel more “premium”.
Empirically, there are many things that manufacturers do that MANY buyers dislike, because they're overriden by manufacturer dictates be it for cost reasons or engineering reasons or simply management discretion.

There's nearly unanimous disdain for BMW M3's new gigantic grills; pervasiveness of glossy black plastic interior trim; heavy use of capacitive buttons e.g. in new VWs. Nobody wants those things.

Empirically, there are many things that manufacturers do that MANY buyers dislike, because they're overriden by manufacturer dictates be it for cost reasons or engineering reasons or simply management discretion.

There's nearly unanimous disdain for BMW M3's new gigantic grills; pervasiveness of glossy black plastic interior trim; heavy use of capacitive buttons e.g. in new VWs. Nobody wants those things.
Yeah, we can definitely agree BMW’s new massive grille design looks pretty bad/ugly.
Thankfully, very few other car manufacturers have gone this bold route.… I guess because most manufacturers understand/realize super big grilles are not universally accepted/liked. Not to say large grilles don’t look good, cause I do think some of the larger grille designs out there right now look great.

So, I think my point is… usually when every car manufacturer has/uses the exact same particular feature in all their vehicle line-ups (like chrome accents), that‘s a clear indicator they have identified that most consumers still prefer/want that particular feature in their vehicles. Sure, 1 or 2 car companies may miss the mark on offering a feature or style. But, when all car manufacturers have/offer the same thing (like chrome accents), there should be no doubt that feature is what most buyers want.

Last edited:
Im in agreement with the original poster. I just got my brand spanking new 2023 3 Standard / White with the 19" sport wheels, and I didn't realize that they got rid of the chrome handles, window trim and side camera. F'n love the car overall, but I like a balance between sporty and luxury and prefer the silver/chrome accents.

Instead of all the griping, what im not seeing discussed here are solutions. I've looked around and while I've found some options for door handle covers, most of them are all designed to cover the chrome handles (LOL). So they come in every possible color except chrome 🤦‍♂️

What im looking for now is if the OEM replacement parts using the models that still had chrome. Looks like they started going all black in 2021. So 2020 is the last year that chrome handles, window trim, and side camera covers were used. The big question will be if these OEM parts from the 2020 model will fit a 2023. If so, then it should be a fairly easy fix while keeping the car completely OEM. I'm also looking to do the same for the window trim.

If anyone has any info or way to validate the above, would be super helpful. I know there are options to get these parts vinyl wrapped, but I'd really like to keep everything OEM as much as possible.

You can buy a bunch of old door handles on Ebay, the window trim and cameras are a bit more involved, and the rear quarter windows are very involved. Expect to spend close to $2K and in the end you'll have anodized aluminum (not chrome) which is already somewhat middle-aged at ~4 years old.

A very popular and effective "mod" is to cover the bright trim with black vinyl, but any good vinyl shop should be able to do the inverse for you, covering your black with a metallic vinyl.

But the best solution may just be to get wheels that are appropriate for your black trimmed car.

Im in agreement with the original poster. I just got my brand spanking new 2023 3 Standard / White with the 19" sport wheels, and I didn't realize that they got rid of the chrome handles, window trim and side camera. F'n love the car overall, but I like a balance between sporty and luxury and prefer the silver/chrome accents.

Instead of all the griping, what im not seeing discussed here are solutions. I've looked around and while I've found some options for door handle covers, most of them are all designed to cover the chrome handles (LOL). So they come in every possible color except chrome 🤦‍♂️

What im looking for now is if the OEM replacement parts using the models that still had chrome. Looks like they started going all black in 2021. So 2020 is the last year that chrome handles, window trim, and side camera covers were used. The big question will be if these OEM parts from the 2020 model will fit a 2023. If so, then it should be a fairly easy fix while keeping the car completely OEM. I'm also looking to do the same for the window trim.

If anyone has any info or way to validate the above, would be super helpful. I know there are options to get these parts vinyl wrapped, but I'd really like to keep everything OEM as much as possible.
Not sure what is your ultimate goal for going OEM (is it for resale value?), but I doubt you will get your money's worth for doing so, as some bits (especially the window trim) is quite involved and may cost a lot (for some the trim is part of a much more expensive part, for example the rear quarter windows). IMO your car would be worth less money if you swap in OEM chrome bits. Your best bet is just to chrome wrap the trim and be done with it (and it will be reversible).

Not sure what is your ultimate goal for going OEM (is it for resale value?), but I doubt you will get your money's worth for doing so, as some bits (especially the window trim) is quite involved and may cost a lot (for some the trim is part of a much more expensive part, for example the rear quarter windows). IMO your car would be worth less money if you swap in OEM chrome bits. Your best bet is just to chrome wrap the trim and be done with it (and it will be reversible).
It's a simple matter of me liking to keep things to factory spec as much as possible, versus modifications that can eventually wear away, degrade, or not work properly over time since they were not originally designed to the same spec as the manufacture. It has NOTHING to do with retaining value, etc.

That's not to say Im not into some modifications. But again, I would prefer buying and installing OEM handles and trim in the color I want, vs some vinyl wrap that may either degrade over time, or may not have the exact factory look Im after.

And for the other poster suggesting I get black wheels to match my M3SR (or now considered M3R?), why would I do that? I already stated I DONT like the black accents.

Basically I want my 2023 M3R to look like this bad girl right here. IMO it's the perfect balance of class, luxury with sex sport appeal. That's how I like my cars.

Attachments

• B2C46AB6-F72E-42EE-9D10-6D398023A45A.jpeg
    B2C46AB6-F72E-42EE-9D10-6D398023A45A.jpeg
    894.8 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: OldEvo and danarcha
I just ordered a white 2020 m3P and luckily that year had the best looking OEM wheels with the 20" gun metal sport wheels😎
but unfortunately the last year of the chrome trim.:oops:

one of my first mods will be deleting the chrome.....that is for sure

IMO, the black trim is so much better looking on a sporty car....

Used-2020-Tesla-Model-3-1610110956.jpg

can't wait!!!

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
It's just my opinion but I think the black trim only looks good on a red Tesla or a white one. It looks horrible on blue, gray and black cars. I have a blue 2020 LR and the chrome handles and trim look great. I also have the 19" come wheels which I think are among the best looking wheels out there. The aero wheels just look grim. But, again, that's just my own taste

It's just my opinion but I think the black trim only looks good on a red Tesla or a white one. It looks horrible on blue, gray and black cars. I have a blue 2020 LR and the chrome handles and trim look great. I also have the 19" come wheels which I think are among the best looking wheels out there. The aero wheels just look grim. But, again, that's just my own taste

To me, chrome feels old and dated. Kind if like gold bathroom fixtures from the 90s. Chrome looks better on ICE cars. ;)

Agreed, and love your blue 2020, looks super sharp!

It's a simple matter of me liking to keep things to factory spec as much as possible, versus modifications that can eventually wear away, degrade, or not work properly over time since they were not originally designed to the same spec as the manufacture. It has NOTHING to do with retaining value, etc.

That's not to say Im not into some modifications. But again, I would prefer buying and installing OEM handles and trim in the color I want, vs some vinyl wrap that may either degrade over time, or may not have the exact factory look Im after.

And for the other poster suggesting I get black wheels to match my M3SR (or now considered M3R?), why would I do that? I already stated I DONT like the black accents.

Basically I want my 2023 M3R to look like this bad girl right here. IMO it's the perfect balance of class, luxury with sex sport appeal. That's how I like my cars.
I'm in full agreement with Holografique on this subject. Has anyone found a way to delete the chrome delete that will hold up over time?