Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon replied to a request on twitter that there will be options for choosing your layout.

This goes to show how much chaos Musk causes at Tesla and how reactionary he is. He just put engineering teams suddenly in a position to continue supporting multiple layouts indefinitely because it was obviously not in the plan to begin with or it would have shipped as an option. Things are rarely on time, he over promises with almost everything he says, and the feature development wrt the dash unit is pretty clunky

Parked: The car visualization seems like it's for showrooms. Otherwise it's an overdesigned way to open the frunk.

Reverse gear: Nobody's going to look at the car visualization. It should not take space away from the backup camera view. (Model 3)

Driving: I haven't found much value in the visualization and I'd much rather see more map (and a blind spot indicator in the side view mirrors). If the screen showed the side camera when the turn signal is on, that could help.

Safety warning indicators: They need to not be hidden behind a hand on the steering wheel! Is the gray "horn" symbol with an "x" trying to indicate I set the horn to no-sound? Why is that even allowed?

Clearly the text, indicators, and tap targets need to be larger, high contrast, and no thin-strokes.

Battery gauge: Make it larger. Show both battery % and estimated distance.

There should be a way to adjust the fan speed, temp, and wipers that requires as little eyes off the road as possible. Auto-wipers mostly work now but still.

Some things did get better, like the placement of the rear-view and wiper-panel buttons.

My bet: They were still debugging the next batch of changes but Elon promised a
emoji_u1f525.png
emoji_u1f525.png
holiday release so they rushed out the Santa glitz, some finished parts, and in-progress untested UI changes.

I sure hope they normally do enough usability testing to discover design details that people can't quickly read while driving on bumpy roads or that people have trouble understanding.

This UI is a huge improvement IMO. I like the dead space around the car because I can see more traffic around me, especially the rear of the car. I've been waiting for that card to disappear forever. Blind spot visual is much improved. Also like the smaller fonts and the arrangement of speed and other status further out of the say providing better situational awareness of vehicles in the driving visualization.

Let’s be honest. This update sucks. On many levels. Whoever thought these changes improve the UI must secretly work for Volkswagen.

The MCU cannot even render my deep blue metallic paint color any more. Means nothing, of course, but symbolic of an amateurish and regressive firmware update of which I am constantly reminded.

Let’s see how long it takes Tesla to acknowledge and fix this misstep. Remains to be seen if the promised configuration utility will even address the major display issues.

And I am a diehard fanboy of the M3.

First off, I agree with many of the negative points regarding the overhaul of the Tesla 3 screen. People are dreaming thinking that an omission of error will be acknowledged and a rollback will occur. Never happens. Same with new look IOS that you are going to love. The screen is being designed for people to play games whilst paying little attention to the FSD taking them to where they want to go. The fact that in this country FSD approval is a fair way off, or you never intend to use it, is of little importance to Tesla. Disagree? Think about how hard it would have been to give options better suited to the human driver. Instead resources are devoted to FSD integration and games for occupants.

Last edited:
First off, I agree with many of the negative points regarding the overhaul of the Tesla 3 screen. People are dreaming thinking that an omission of error will be acknowledged and a rollback will occur. Never happens. Same with new look IOS that you are going to love. The screen is being designed for people to play games whilst paying little attention to the FSD taking them to where they want to go. The fact that in this country it is a fair way off, is of little importance to Tesla. Get with the program. You will eventually be manipulated into paying for FSD, just like I just was with premium connectivity, which would not work properly whilst connected to the wifi hotspot on my phone.

how does this ui manipulate people into buying fsd? The part of the screen designed to play games and videos is smaller in the new update...

There aren’t. There is the current vehicle speed, the cruise control / autopilot set speed and the current speed limit. This information has been rearranged (annoyingly), but isn’t new or materially different.

You're helping make the guy's point here. Tesla inexplicably shrunk the *SPEEDOMETER* and stuck it in a row next to the other stuff, where it gets easily lost in the visual noise of other speed-related numbers. It's terrible, ill-considered, and presents a safety issue. Just awful.

I almost wonder if we can get the NHTSA involved. If we had physical speedometers, this update would be the equivalent of Tesla coming to our driveway at night and forcibly removing it, shrinking it, and putting it in a new location next to other, smaller gauges with similar info on it.

When I bought my Model Y, it was based partly on the fact I was comfortable driving it with the layout of information, unconventional as the lack of a traditional instrument cluster is. It never occurred to me that in offering "new features and improvements," Tesla might make wholesale changes to **where the speedometer is***, shrinking it and burying it next to other indicators.

I hate the new layout. Empty white space is now a glaring hole on the left side of the screen, while useful information like the map, backup camera, and speedometer are smaller. I don’t need a huge cartoon of what I can already see in real life right in front of me. I need the information I can’t see, and it needs to be easily understood.

agree with the large white area that is useless

disagree on the backup camera. Previously the backup camera with side view mirrors took up the full vertical area, which meant you always had to drag it down in order to access the button for garage door. This is relevant to me as when I use the rear gate of my neighborhood, I have to click the button (its geofenced to open the front gate and my garage door).

but you are right, smaller isn't better for the cameras, and they should also apply the same camera filters in the side view mirrors as the rear camera as they are darker and a bit harder to see as a result. They should also make the side view mirror go full screen when you turn on your blinker (at least have this as an option).

You're helping make the guy's point here. Tesla inexplicably shrunk the *SPEEDOMETER* and stuck it in a row next to the other stuff, where it gets easily lost in the visual noise of other speed-related numbers. It's terrible, ill-considered, and presents a safety issue. Just awful.

I noticed this but hadn't fully grasped that they took arguably the most important piece of information on the screen and de-emphasized it. Very bad for safety.

I almost wonder if we can get the NHTSA involved. If we had physical speedometers, this update would be the equivalent of Tesla coming to our driveway at night and forcibly removing it, shrinking it, and putting it in a new location next to other, smaller gauges with similar info on it.

When I bought my Model Y, it was based partly on the fact I was comfortable driving it with the layout of information, unconventional as the lack of a traditional instrument cluster is. It never occurred to me that in offering "new features and improvements," Tesla might make wholesale changes to **where the speedometer is***, shrinking it and burying it next to other indicators.

let’s not get the government involved pleased. They’ll just **** everything up...

let’s not get the government involved pleased. They’ll just **** everything up...

Well, other than building the interstate highway system, building Hoover Dam, putting a man on the moon, NASA successfully exploring the solar system including Mars landings, cleaning up our air and water massively since the 1970s, winning WWII, eradicating polio, sending letters across the country in a few days for 50 cents, instituting and enforcing car safety standards where there used to be none, etc....sure...yeah, Govt. will mess things up. Whatever, dude.

I noticed this but hadn't fully grasped that they took arguably the most important piece of information on the screen and de-emphasized it. Very bad for safety.

I would argue that the digital speedo lettering on the Tesla is not the smallest numbers I've seen on a speedo face.

But they should have layout options like most cars have now, with one layout that makes a big speedo.