Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate the new layout. Empty white space is now a glaring hole on the left side of the screen, while useful information like the map, backup camera, and speedometer are smaller. I don’t need a huge cartoon of what I can already see in real life right in front of me. I need the information I can’t see, and it needs to be easily understood.

I completely agree. While the image of our Model 3 is nicer to view, the speed is much smaller than before and much of the important data is crammed to the right side of the screen, much like the very first UI back in early 2018. WHY?

I also received a notice about a message from my iPhone, but I could not read it at all, without stopping and leaning in to read (by then it would have disappeared). Either increase the font size or read it to the driver!

Just want to add my voice that I hate the new UI, too. I want the bigger map and speedometer reading back! Only thing I like is having the wiper option easier to access along the bottom.

Awful update on my Model S
Why make the fonts all smaller? Don’t they realize our vision gets worse every day we get older? The Speed indicator is essential for safe driving....now it’s half the size it used to be.
On the model S they moved the “P- D - N - R” to the left of the dash screen. It used to be on the right side directly above the gear shifter. That was perfect. Why move it?

Battery level graphic is also smaller and harder to see. Why?

Please offer options on dash view...continuing the traditional (like I’ve used for four years) should be my choice not theirs.

I don't care for the new UI either. I'm another one that doesn't have FSD and won't, unless the price drops. I should have snapped it up with the $4,000 deal a couple months ago but oh well. I will have to get used to the new UI but my initial reaction is I don't care for it.

I hate the new layout. Empty white space is now a glaring hole on the left side of the screen, while useful information like the map, backup camera, and speedometer are smaller. I don’t need a huge cartoon of what I can already see in real life right in front of me. I need the information I can’t see, and it needs to be easily understood.
I could live with the whole 1980s TRON look of the car graphic while in park, but once I'm in gear and the car graphic shrinks and aligns with the center-line of the vehicle, that wide white space should automatically narrow.

New display is terrible, and I concur with all of the negative comments above. On MS, Red car, I cannot see if brake lights are on, and the third light is invisible on the UI. Hard to define where the car is relative to the road markings! New UI requires focus on the display rather than the road if find information. If I am not getting FSD, why must my UI be diminished in size and readability?

Let's hope some "woke" developer within Tesla design dept. drives a Tesla MS so that he will understand that the re-design is a FAIL!

Is there any actual way to provide feedback to Tesla? I have heard about 'tweeting Elon', but is that actually a thing? Is there any other established method? I am actually contemplating it to provide my (negative) 2 cents about the UI changes.

You can tweet just about anybody. The question is if @elonmusk or @tesla will give a damn and read it, let alone act on it :-(

At least the former has answered a few 'common folk' tweets.

I had huge usability issues with the new UI . I am left eye dominant - which means that the upper left most part of the display is blocked by my hand when driving - so items moved there are now not visible - also with bifocals I can no longer read the mileage remaining and other items which have been downsized. Most of the oversized vehicle display is similarly worthless (being blocked by my hand and arm) - however now that the car and the night time simulation of lights is bigger and brighter - the headlight display becomes much more distracting at night. I also noticed they downsize the backup display to make room to enlarge the car simulation - how unbelievably lame. A dog's breakfast of bad decisions.

I requested Tesla support to restore the prior version, but currently they have no way to go back. Every time I have to drive with this it makes me angry that they released this on us. I am sitting on a model Y that I hadn't accepted and hating to drive my model 3 now is giving me additional concerns about whether I will.

Last edited:
The latest UI is garbage. For the most part, the rearranged layout, reduction of font size, and growth of the visualization panel are unacceptable. Please, Tesla, either let us revert to the previous layout - which I liked and had grown accustomed to - or provide the capability for a user-specified layout. In particular, the bigger visualization at the expense of the map/backup camera is horrible. I neither require nor desire a huge visualization; my eyeballs are focused on the road ... where they belong!

Reactions: Transformer
Actually I am starting to like the new layout, all important things while driving are nice and compact grouped, smaller speedo not much an issue in reality. The only thing that seems off is the amount space the left side takes up now, but it looks like room is being made for new UI items. (Oh, and the battery needs to be green again)

I'll add my +1 for hating the new UI. I'm new to my M3 (Got a 2021); and despite only having it a few weeks ALREADY miss the old UI. I have FSD, but am not interested in watching the cartoon of the car if FSD actually works...that's just dumb. I'll either be looking out the window with my coffee in my hands monitoring or, if not required to pay attention, would probably be reading the news on my phone...

So yes, the fancy display seems really gimicky...and yes, the car image in park looks awful.

Reactions: navguy12
Not at all surprised to hear about the UI regressions. Tesla may have the best electrical engineers but damn do their software engineers suck!

How can you say that? Haven't you tried the fart sounds? My phone may not work reliably as a key but I can instruct my car to make a fart sound when I activate the turn signal.

On a more serious note, I don't think their software engineers suck. But I think there's a distinct lack of attention placed on usability. And what attention there is placed on usability is often done with blinders on. That's a management issue.

I don’t understand the need for the visualization. Seems gimmicky. If you don’t have FSD, you don’t need it. Once FSD is real, you don’t need it. You should be watching Netflix or sleeping. Seems like a developer mode that is shown to the consumers for the wow factor.
I think the visualisations are there to give you confidence in what the car can see. Personally, I think it needs a lot of work if that is the case. Sometimes it will show cars there and sometimes it will not show them. If two cars go past then often it only shows one car. Even in the FSD Beta you can see objects appearing and disappearing even though it would seem they should be visible to the cameras.
As an aside, it is also interesting that they don't appear to do predictive path analysis, for instance if an object is occluded by another object then a predictive path analysis should still place the object (maybe as a ghost image) as a prediction because the object doesn't just disappear (unless it changed direction while hidden) and so should be predicted that it will come back into view based on the previous direction and velocity, etc.

I've slowly come to the conclusion that, despite having more cameras, sonar, radar, and whatever else, my Model Y has no blind-spot warning system... except the visualization of my car and its surroundings. Every other modern car has lights and flashing on the side view mirrors and such, but not my Tesla. So anything that makes my driving visualization better could help the blind-spot warning issue. That said, I'm not likely to glance at the screen when I contemplate changing lanes on the highway. I'm instead looking in side mirrors, rear mirror, and maybe taking a quick peek turning my head. So this isn't a great development.

Agree, I can only assume that this UI is getting ready for a general FSD release, but for sure it is not pretty as is at the moment. The speed font needs to be bigger. Also, not sure why the Energy Percentage/Mileage is now dark grey instead of Green, looks ugly, and of course it would be helpful to have the real Mileage Range left on the Top screen instead of two clicks hidden below. And where the heck is the realtime Odometer -- it remains hidden and only reachable with three or four clicks or wipes. Seems like Tesla should be proud of their cars and their mileage since they could have screens that say how much one has saved on maintenance, oil changes, gas at the 10,000-mile, 25,000-mile markers, etc. And, the user could set up prompts to note important milestones, like 50,000 miles or whatever. Ironically, I was just at the recent SpaceX Crew-1 launch at KSC in November with my Model 3 and the person who gave me directions for the credentials shack said, paraphrasing, get of i95, go three miles East to Route 1 then five miles north and it will on the right -- so, for sure, the Odometer is still important on any car as that shack, and it is a shack, is not easily found on any maps. Great launch by the way!

Reactions: navguy12