Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got the initial .26 update I hated the layout. Then this morning I got a .30 update and after spending the last 12 hours driving today in my Model Y I can say I like the new layout. They put all the "need to know" info at the top and close together which reduces the amount of time you need to look at the screen to find what you want. The warning lights and the less common indicators are all down the left side. I see no problem with this. I also really like the fact that they moved the wiper button to the bottom. Biggest thing I noticed is the updates to how Autopilot reacts and handles situations. It was solid for over 500 miles. Seems the phantom breaking is gone and the jerky movements have been greatly reduced. Only deactivated autopilot when I had to change lanes and when the radar system temporarily went down.

Reactions: RNHurt
When I got the initial .26 update I hated the layout. Then this morning I got a .30 update and after spending the last 12 hours driving today in my Model Y I can say I like the new layout. They put all the "need to know" info at the top and close together which reduces the amount of time you need to look at the screen to find what you want. The warning lights and the less common indicators are all down the left side. I see no problem with this. I also really like the fact that they moved the wiper button to the bottom. Biggest thing I noticed is the updates to how Autopilot reacts and handles situations. It was solid for over 500 miles. Seems the phantom breaking is gone and the jerky movements have been greatly reduced. Only deactivated autopilot when I had to change lanes and when the radar system temporarily went down.
I think you have summed up the interface change perfectly. If you an Autopilot driver you will like the changes, if you are a diy driver then not so much.

My eyesight isnt the best but I can deal with the smaller speed readout, however its always better to have the most important information most accessible (car speed). While there might be some justification in the reduction in the speed font size, I can see no reason for making the battery display gray, particularly as elsewhere in the refresh Tesla has greatly increased the use of color (the proximity sensors for example). Overall I don't think much thought went into the changes other than "make the visualization screen bigger ready for FSD".

Reactions: navguy12
:):)
Parked: The car visualization seems like it's for showrooms. Otherwise it's an overdesigned way to open the frunk.

Reverse gear: Nobody's going to look at the car visualization. It should not take space away from the backup camera view. (Model 3)

Driving: I haven't found much value in the visualization and I'd much rather see more map (and a blind spot indicator in the side view mirrors). If the screen showed the side camera when the turn signal is on, that could help.

Safety warning indicators: They need to not be hidden behind a hand on the steering wheel! Is the gray "horn" symbol with an "x" trying to indicate I set the horn to no-sound? Why is that even allowed?

Clearly the text, indicators, and tap targets need to be larger, high contrast, and no thin-strokes.

Battery gauge: Make it larger. Show both battery % and estimated distance.

There should be a way to adjust the fan speed, temp, and wipers that requires as little eyes off the road as possible. Auto-wipers mostly work now but still.

Some things did get better, like the placement of the rear-view and wiper-panel buttons.

My bet: They were still debugging the next batch of changes but Elon promised a
emoji_u1f525.png
emoji_u1f525.png
holiday release so they rushed out the Santa glitz, some finished parts, and in-progress untested UI changes.

I sure hope they normally do enough usability testing to discover design details that people can't quickly read while driving on bumpy roads or that people have trouble understanding.

Reactions: Gratulin

Scanning through this thread I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn’t mind the new interface.

I haven’t spent as much time driving as you have, but I completely agree with your assessment - the important information is more accessible and closer together. I also like the new location of the wiper control.

maybe it’s not an issue in the Y vs other models but I haven’t noticed the smaller font. I also have progressive lenses and don’t have an issue. To each their own, I guess.

Reactions: STBR0510
I recommend all of you who are unhappy to reach out to Tesla and provide them constructive feedback. I too am upset with smaller camera view, maps, and icons. I just went on the website, logged in, and chatted with support. Only took a few mins.

i requested service to revert the software. They told me it couldn’t happen (tech is coming out for other things, we will see). I told them the UI was a safety hazard as it’s hard to see speed and gear indicator and I hoped no one had a crash and sued them over it.

Scanning through this thread I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn’t mind the new interface.

I haven’t spent as much time driving as you have, but I completely agree with your assessment - the important information is more accessible and closer together. I also like the new location of the wiper control.

maybe it’s not an issue in the Y vs other models but I haven’t noticed the smaller font. I also have progressive lenses and don’t have an issue. To each their own, I guess.

My assessment is the same as “sleepydoc”. Maybe next week when I make a 1000+ mile trip, I’ll have a more thorough experience. I’m 70 and wear progressive lenses and can read the fonts. Yes, bigger would be nice but I’ll give the designers more time to prove they know what is best for the majority of their owners.

Don't mind the new interface at all. Would be nice if you could change font size for those that need it but other than that
I am happy with it.

I would be happier if the FSD was released at the end of last year like they said. Seems they keep moving the goal post on that one.
Would also be happier if they fixed the USB cover art bug. I also got several auto-reboots since the update, not sure if its just me on that one, Nice to have new games but let's fix whats broken please.

Tesla owners: “We want a car that is always on the cutting edge of technology, as long as they don’t change anything once we get used to it!”

Bad take.
I’ve had my car(s) 2 years. In that time, I’ve been through multiple software updates that have changed and moved things around. Owners who have owned longer have seen even more.

Tesla owners are used to change.

Tesla owners are intolerant of half baked stuff. Always have been. Whether it be smart summon sucking, bad auto parking, hesitant NOA lane changes, whatever, these forums have always called a spade a spade. This is 110% not a case of simply not accepting change. We WANT change. But only good change.

Don't mind the new interface at all. Would be nice if you could change font size for those that need it but other than that
I am happy with it.

I would be happier if the FSD was released at the end of last year like they said. Seems they keep moving the goal post on that one.
Would also be happier if they fixed the USB cover art bug. I also got several auto-reboots since the update, not sure if its just me on that one, Nice to have new games but let's fix whats broken please.

I am happy with the direction the layout is taking. But the execution sucks. The fact that it’s infinitely easier to read in dark mode tells me it’s poorly thought out.

Reactions: Kenners

(comments for M3, though some also apply to MS/MX...)

The changes are probably not as bad as some make out (any change will have its detractors), though aesthetically the display feels unbalanced: the basic data top-left "corner" (speed, AP etc) feels cramped, while the car visualization feels open and overlay spacious (though this will probably change with FSD). Functionally, placing all the basic data in the top-left is probably good (as noted by other posters), and I do find that the speed is closer to my peripheral vision than before (good) but I do agree that the font reduction is a step backwards.

I see no reason to remove the color from the battery icon. Green for "good" and red for "warning" seemed a logical and clear way of indicating state. Possibly the green battery might just be confused with a green traffic signal in the car visualization display, and so the green was removed to avoid any chance of that.

I'm also (as others) not keen on the loss of space to the map and backup cameras. Probably when using FSD the larger driver visualization area will be justified, but when not using FSD (which will probably be the majority of the time even after wide FSD availability) this seems detrimental to clarity and safety (especially the backup camera). Some kind of variable arrangement would seem a better idea, with the screen split changing based on the driving mode (backup/manual/AP).

Where was the UX designer on this one?? The development team that implemented such small font should be replaced. If this change was necessary an option to return to the previous layout and size should have been accommodated. Date, time, miles of remaining charge, and set speed are illegible.

The UI team is prolly coding on 36" monitors.....

btw: I've seen a lot of speculations that the increased left side of the monitor is for future FSD visualizations. And that may be true. But how many people actually use/watch the visualizations while they are actually driving as opposed to watching dancing cars while at a stop light? (I'd start a poll if I had the technical knowledge.)

Last edited:
YES, Its disater,. Don;t know who suggested to go with such a small Font size and layout for Auto Pilot team developers/designers..Is there a way we can inforn this to Tesla? Earlier in tesla.com there used to be a feeback option to ubmit, but Now its TOo bog company, they removed that "Submti feedback" option! (BTW, "Submit bug" on Steering wheel also doesn't work with me--Need to scehdule service..separate issue with build quality)

Reactions: Transformer