Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you think about Xpeng version? :D
l_600224bb02129.jpg

China's EV Startup Xpeng Unveils the Beta Version of its Advanced Self-Driving Feature Called ‘Navigation Guided Pilot'

So, who at Tesla should I complain to about this? Do I make a service appointment, and demand that they undo the update on my car?

People who tried a service appointment reported that their appointments got cancelled.

My Tesla Advisor recommended email to [email protected], which bounced as other people noted (I wish they'd restore it); then he recommended the Tesla Contact form, which appears to be just for powerwall, solar roofs, & energy installers, and it got no response; and now to call the HQ number 650-681-5000 and ask for the desired department.

The other option is to tweet to Elon. He said they get read randomly. He occasionally replies.

Yup. Going 30 in an 80 zone. That's all too real and not sarcasm or a parody.

Of course, visualization would show that they're camped in the left-most/passing lane as well. :mad:

Maybe they can make it look like this?

View attachment 627637

Can anyone who knows Elon Musk get him on the blower to see if he will hire @kpeng on as chief designer? I bet if he did the cyber truck wouldn’t have ball issues either...

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
So, I finally got through to chat support, and was unsurprisingly told "LOL NO" when I asked if they could just install the old version on my car until they get a . They also canceled my service appointment and cited the manual at me, stating I'm required to install any update they want me to as soon as possible.

Beyond the insult of the software itself just being half baked, it basically means I can't trust Tesla to not just reach into my garage and make the car worse in the middle of the night from now on. Like, do I even own this car?

I actually test drove a 2020 model V8 Camaro yesterday, and liked it. My girlfriend didn't like it because it has tiny windows like the Batmobile and it's loud and zoomy, but it felt like an old friend. I'm sort of tempted to jump ship.

I got this update the same day I got my car. Seeing as how charged up people are about the new UI I am glad I didn't get to experience it much.

My biggest issue with the UI is how far away the defog is. It's really annoying to try to find it while still learning the new UI and driving.
The wipers on auto seems to be "ok" but always starts later than I would like. I find myself manually doing 1 wipe pretty much every time I need them.

Hate the smaller map, hate the new aliased car graphic, hate the huge driver panel, hate the right turn signal is in no man's land while the left is lost in a sea of icons. The new UI is garbage.
I noticed this morning that they did something to the position of any "Beep beep beep!" warning messages where I now have to move my head to see around my right hand in order to see them. Like, maybe they're an inch or so lower on the screen?

It's subtle, but obnoxious. Same thing with all the idiot lights, half of which are now obscured by my right hand.

I got this update the same day I got my car. Seeing as how charged up people are about the new UI I am glad I didn't get to experience it much.

My biggest issue with the UI is how far away the defog is. It's really annoying to try to find it while still learning the new UI and driving.
The wipers on auto seems to be "ok" but always starts later than I would like. I find myself manually doing 1 wipe pretty much every time I need them.
The wiper thing is just the nature of automatic wipers. My Tesla is my third or fourth car that's had automatic wipers, and I'm yet to experience one that actually behaves 100% the way I expect it to. The Tesla is arguably the best I've seen so far, but it's not quite perfect.

Reactions: Transformer
The wiper thing is just the nature of automatic wipers. My Tesla is my third or fourth car that's had automatic wipers, and I'm yet to experience one that actually behaves 100% the way I expect it to. The Tesla is arguably the best I've seen so far, but it's not quite perfect.
This is my first car with auto wipers and I've found them pretty terrible and inadequate.

Wondering, since you have presumably driven other makes, did the non-Tesla cars with auto wipers have full functionality on the stalk to allow you to adjust the speed using the stalk itself? My biggest issue with the wipers is not that they are automatic/function poorly, but that to adjust speed permanently, you are forced to look at the screen. The driving conditions in my area (mist/fog/rain/dark combo) make it unnecessarily dangerous to take my eyes off the road. It's incredible to me that after this many years, Tesla has been unable to improve the wipers via software, which is supposed to be their strength and the source of their value.

You can use voice commands as well using "speed up wipers" "slow down wipers" "turn off wipers" or "set wipers speed to 1/2/3/4"

Voice commands aren't perfect, but at least you're not looking down at the screen in that case.

It rains pretty much non-stop here so my wipers get a lot of use. I have found auto works well, and adjusts up/down decently. It's really just been that starting point that seems to be consistently coming in late. That said, 1 click on the left stalk has been a pretty easy adaption and I've used auto wipers other than that without a problem.

This is my first car with auto wipers and I've found them pretty terrible and inadequate.

Wondering, since you have presumably driven other makes, did the non-Tesla cars with auto wipers have full functionality on the stalk to allow you to adjust the speed using the stalk itself? My biggest issue with the wipers is not that they are automatic/function poorly, but that to adjust speed permanently, you are forced to look at the screen. The driving conditions in my area (mist/fog/rain/dark combo) make it unnecessarily dangerous to take my eyes off the road. It's incredible to me that after this many years, Tesla has been unable to improve the wipers via software, which is supposed to be their strength and the source of their value.

Short answer: Yes. The second best one I remember was, oddly, a 2005 BMW, which worked almost exactly as one would expect, with the caveat that you had to take the wipers out of "Auto" and into "off" and then back into "auto" in order to get it to actually wipe. In other words, you couldn't just leave it in auto - you had to turn them on every time you got in the car.

The stalk that it had was a normal stalk, though, with a wash, mist and intermittent setting, but that was before the days of screens.

I've had a Ford and a Mazda that had auto wipers as well, and my only gripe with those is that they weren't quite sensitive enough, and I'd always have to do the first wipe manually.

I agree with you 100% that this is a function that should have a manual control of some kind, but that's more of an overall philosophical disagreement with Tesla than a gripe with this particular version of the software. I've only been in a Model S a couple of times, but I seem to recall that at least the early ones have an actual wiper stalk, so there is some precedent for Teslas having them.

Reactions: ladysbff
You can use voice commands as well using "speed up wipers" "slow down wipers" "turn off wipers" or "set wipers speed to 1/2/3/4"

Voice commands aren't perfect, but at least you're not looking down at the screen in that case.

It rains pretty much non-stop here so my wipers get a lot of use. I have found auto works well, and adjusts up/down decently. It's really just been that starting point that seems to be consistently coming in late. That said, 1 click on the left stalk has been a pretty easy adaption and I've used auto wipers other than that without a problem.
For whatever reason I've always had issues with voice commands in my 3 :( Thanks for the tip, though. I'll have to try again.

Short answer: Yes. The second best one I remember was, oddly, a 2005 BMW, which worked almost exactly as one would expect, with the caveat that you had to take the wipers out of "Auto" and into "off" and then back into "auto" in order to get it to actually wipe. In other words, you couldn't just leave it in auto - you had to turn them on every time you got in the car.

The stalk that it had was a normal stalk, though, with a wash, mist and intermittent setting, but that was before the days of screens.

I've had a Ford and a Mazda that had auto wipers as well, and my only gripe with those is that they weren't quite sensitive enough, and I'd always have to do the first wipe manually.

I agree with you 100% that this is a function that should have a manual control of some kind, but that's more of an overall philosophical disagreement with Tesla than a gripe with this particular version of the software. I've only been in a Model S a couple of times, but I seem to recall that at least the early ones have an actual wiper stalk, so there is some precedent for Teslas having them.
This is exactly where my apprehension lies with Tesla's intense focus on FSD. It seems novel issues can arise relating to core car functionality due to the implementation of new technologies - your 2005 BMW's functioning auto wipers seems to be an example of that. The wipers and Tesla's preference to solve via software over hardware is one specific area I think could harm them moving forward. It seems to me like a stalk with a few more buttons/twists wouldn't be that expensive to implement, and would be safer than screen control or voice command, but because Tesla might see that as moving backwards when it comes to software solving hardware issues, I don't see it happening.

Philosophical disagreement, as you said.

I noticed not one, but two new (to me, anyway) bugs today:

1. Under certain circumstances, the hood/trunk/charge door buttons apparently remain pressable, even if there's something taking up the whole screen on top of them. I tried to reproduce it, and couldn't, but the frunk definitely opened when I touched the screen in that general area once, and I definitely had to get out of the car and close it.
2. The Youtube app is apparently considered "insecure" by Google, so it won't let you log in now.

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd and ladysbff
The youtube thing is pretty annoying, it is because it is just a web interface.
You can go to the browser and face the same problem. I ended up using some 3rd party website and do a log in to google from there and then that session was ultimately honored by the youtube app since it's just a web interface.

Hopefully something they fix/change soon. It really bothers me that I have to have my google logged into and accessible via the browser to have my youtube account logged in within the entertainment system.

• Informative
Reactions: ladysbff