Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where was the UX designer on this one?? The development team that implemented such small font should be replaced. If this change was necessary an option to return to the previous layout and size should have been accommodated. Date, time, miles of remaining charge, and set speed are illegible.

Mercifully someone listened. Thankfully I can again see the dash information I was used to seeing without employing any driver distracting maneuvers.

Really disappointed that so much commercial clutter (balloons for businesses) show up when I am trying to navigate somewhere. Makes it very difficult to spot where my car is on the map. I have a destination I want to reach, I don’t need the extraneous BS on the screen - that is fine when just driving, but not when navigating to, for example, a Supercharger.

Sad how it has been almost a year since they rolled this crap out, and they have done absolutely nothing to fix it (on the 3/Y). Really hoping for a good holiday update this year, but realistically only expecting more regression.
It is almost like they are trying to wean us off having this information. Something to do with the mania for pushing FSD? Every change to the UI has made more real estate for FSD. Really annoying to us Luddites who want only a good driveable enjoyable automobile ownership/driving experience and eschew FSD like I do the Plague and "Social Media". Sorry, that's redundant...

It is almost like they are trying to wean us off having this information. Something to do with the mania for pushing FSD? Every change to the UI has made more real estate for FSD. Really annoying to us Luddites who want only a good driveable enjoyable automobile ownership/driving experience and eschew FSD like I do the Plague and "Social Media". Sorry, that's redundant...
Yeah, it is not doing a good job of weaning me off of wanting to drive, but it is doing a damn good job of weaning me off of wanting another Tesla any time soon :)

• Funny
Reactions: rmh9 and Tundrok
I thought I would get used to it but this truly horrible UI is ruining the fun I should be having driving my Tesla. The last thing in the world I need going down the road is a big, obnoxious, useless picture of my car going down the road. The only thing it does is encourage me to NOT look at the road and I think eventually someone, after an accident, is going to sue on that point and they are going to win. I'm starting to think Elon doesn't drive much. So sad. So disappointing.

Reactions: rmh9
lets get our hopes up for holiday update part 2 and a resizable AP view.

Hopes are definitely up! Expectations are at an all time low.

Yeah, it is not doing a good job of weaning me off of wanting to drive, but it is doing a damn good job of weaning me off of wanting another Tesla any time soon :)

I'm in the same boat. That last holiday turd cracked my love of my car, and completely broke my love of Tesla itself. On the plus side, I'm no longer blindly infatuated and treat it as just a fun car, but I really loved it before. I'm a little bitter with my now ex-love and have no plans to ever buy another Tesla.

One thing I did to resolve my anger every time I drive was to add an aftermarket instrument cluster. That UI is static and unchanging, and I don't have to worry about them shrinking the fonts to unreadable so they can provide more white space. And no stupid car animation to distract me. On the main display I put a post-it note over the car animation because it's 100% useless and I don't need stupid stuff flickering and moving in my peripheral vision while driving.

I've also disabled any future updates because mostly they've sucked all year long. The easiest way to do this is remove your car from WiFi, even at home. It will notify about updates, but won't nag you all the time about wanting to install. This way you can decide when and if you want to chance it. I'm for damn sure going to wait to see what they do with the next update.

I am still on “2020.48.12.1 3095698” and so glad I skipped last years “update”

The only reason I want to upgrade now is for the enhanced sentry mode features but going to continue to hold out.

Really hoping we get a fix this Holiday season, I want more map and less car visualization. We need the Model S refresh software where it can be user defined.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Hopes are definitely up! Expectations are at an all time low.

I'm in the same boat. That last holiday turd cracked my love of my car, and completely broke my love of Tesla itself. On the plus side, I'm no longer blindly infatuated and treat it as just a fun car, but I really loved it before. I'm a little bitter with my now ex-love and have no plans to ever buy another Tesla.

One thing I did to resolve my anger every time I drive was to add an aftermarket instrument cluster. That UI is static and unchanging, and I don't have to worry about them shrinking the fonts to unreadable so they can provide more white space. And no stupid car animation to distract me. On the main display I put a post-it note over the car animation because it's 100% useless and I don't need stupid stuff flickering and moving in my peripheral vision while driving.

I've also disabled any future updates because mostly they've sucked all year long. The easiest way to do this is remove your car from WiFi, even at home. It will notify about updates, but won't nag you all the time about wanting to install. This way you can decide when and if you want to chance it. I'm for damn sure going to wait to see what they do with the next update.
The 'holiday update' shook my confidence in Tesla design and management, while the yoke blew it up with high explosives :) Them doing absolutely nothing to fix the holiday update in the last year was the real kicker though. Not even some font tweaks or contrast adjustments. I am just glad I got to my car in time to yank it off of wifi before that junk was downloaded.

Based on what I just saw posted on Twitter about 2021.44.25 I'm super disappointed. Tesla totally messed up the UI last Christmas and Elon said shortly after that the UI needs an overhaul, and led us to believe that there would be some sort of adjustment for screen real estate. I was expecting them to at least offer a "Classic" mode fairly quickly (virtually no re-programming required) to allow the superior, safer UI from before December 2020. One full year later and we still have that alphabet soup of a mess that makes the car less safe (distracting graphics, smaller fonts, warning icons hidden down the side of the screen behind your hand, etc. etc.). Seems like they are still taking advantage of a lack of competition.

I'm as confused as a milkman at a crematory...
I have a 2 week old Model 3, which came with 2021.35.something...
Also a 22 month old Model 3 which had 2021.36.something, IIRC.
Last Monday or so, both updated to 2021.44.6. Got the single door unlock option and that's about it.
However, comma, no change to the UI we have had for most of the year, none of the stuff listed as being in 2021.44.25, like the light show,
customizable launcher, simplified controls, etc.
The new one came (2 December) withdthe USB in the glovebox, two type Cs in the console well, which power things (haven't futzed with data yet), but I don't seem to have wireless charging. I pinges tesla about the latter, and they said I would be contacted. It's always something nutty going on.
Not sure who to believe anymore, except that I am over the moon with my new Tesla, as I still am with the first two. Kind of like Forrest Gump and his box of chocolates, I guess...

Reactions: navguy12
I'm as confused as a milkman at a crematory...
I have a 2 week old Model 3, which came with 2021.35.something...
Also a 22 month old Model 3 which had 2021.36.something, IIRC.
Last Monday or so, both updated to 2021.44.6. Got the single door unlock option and that's about it.
However, comma, no change to the UI we have had for most of the year, none of the stuff listed as being in 2021.44.25, like the light show,
customizable launcher, simplified controls, etc.
The new one came (2 December) withdthe USB in the glovebox, two type Cs in the console well, which power things (haven't futzed with data yet), but I don't seem to have wireless charging. I pinges tesla about the latter, and they said I would be contacted. It's always something nutty going on.
Not sure who to believe anymore, except that I am over the moon with my new Tesla, as I still am with the first two. Kind of like Forrest Gump and his box of chocolates, I guess...

you have 44.6. The holiday update is the next one 44.25. Not sure why are you are confused. Its literally numbers.... 6,7,8,9,10, (....) 25

you have 44.6. The holiday update is the next one 44.25. Not sure why are you are confused. Its literally numbers.... 6,7,8,9,10, (....) 25
Great Zot! I'm thinking in fractional notation. 44 and two and a half tenths vs 44 and six tenths. <insert face palm here>
You just cleared some of the fog out of an old man's harbor.
Thanks!

Unless I am missing something, 44.6 is greater than (and presumably newer than) 44.25. My logic is that if I have 44.6 AND it is later than 44.25, I should have the features described in 44.25. But I don't. So there is a failure in my logic or in my knowledge of the chronology of the updates. You say 44.25 is the next update after 44.6.
Hence my confusion.
I'd really appreciate help in clearing the fog out of my harbor.
25>6
All cars do not get all updates simultaneously.