Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking a moment out to wish you all a Joyous Christmas Day, or however you celebrate it. All us here at Confunction Junction with you the best in this Holiday season.

It's almost 9 in the morning, since 75% of us here are over 40, I'm the only one up and awake. I suspect the 13year old is awake, however. Just got a happy note that The Good Ship Venus is conditioned and ready to go, forgot to turn that off until Monday. And it's 62 degrees out there. So on the way to get the paper, I patted TGSV and TBB on the nose. And as well, I gave a loving pat to my '71 Karmann Ghia Convertible. The Teslas are the first hardtops I have ever owned. A Model 3 or Model S Convertible? Be still, my beating heart!

Warts and all, I love these two examples of Fremont's finest cars more than any I have owned since my first - a '65 Mustang Convertible, brand new right off the assembly line. I miss the Barracuda and the Chevelle, but doggone it, these fruits of the Fremont Tree just get to me. I hope all of you who own Teslas feel that way.

Enough rambling from a card carrying Geezer. I really hope Santa was good to everyone and you can enjoy the spirit of this time.

Clear Tracks Ahead!
-- Doc

Last edited:
Personally, I've never seen a new UI that lots of people didn't hate....
That's because most new UIs are not well thought out from the user's perspective. And that includes not being well thought out from the perspective of how users adapt to change. UI programmers have to start taking into account that they are dealing with human beings, with human needs and human failings.

I've been reading all the hate posts for the new UI (I'm one of the contributors) and being a UI developer I understand the challenge of satisfying all user needs. Car UI is especially challenging, the priorities for users are different based on where they live, the climate, daily routines, etc.... No way for a development team to convert all requirements into a workable UI that will satisfy everyone.

So I think .... the solution is: Configurable UI

Doesn't have to be complicated, just divide the screen into 4 quadrants (25% each) or 3 (50-25-25). One of the quadrants would be user configurable, whichever icon you want to see at all times, drag and drop into it. Problem solved.

I don't see why that would be hard for them to develop...... 🤨

I think I’ve driven enough over the last few days to have an informed opinion on the new interface…

BLUF: The defog/defrost controls absence from the main screen is a safety hazard and needs fixing ASAP; lack of odometers, especially trip odometers, is a royal PITA. The rest of the changes are mostly annoying but probably not safety issues.

I’ve been driving for over 40 years, and until now have never had a car where the defog/defrost controls were not one easy touch away. The ability to quickly and easily access this functIonality is safety-related. Tesla, this is an unconscionable eff-up that needs fixing right now in an immediate bug fix release.

And no trip odometers without covering the map…WTF? There’s all this unused real estate on the left, use it for something useful!

This is the kind of crap that will drive (no pun intended) current Tesla customers away as soon as there is adequate and reasonably mature competition in the market segment. I have a MY and a M3, which I like a lot and don‘t plan a move to another brand anytime soon, but 2-3 years from now may be a different story. I’m not chasing the mirage of self-driving, robotaxis, etc., either so I don’t care if Tesla gets to L4/5 autonomy in that timeframe (which I would lay long odds they won’t anyway; I’ve worked on highly autonomous systems over the last 15+ years and I’m not seeing anyone close to solving the autonomous car problem in the next 5+ years, probably more like 10+).

Tesla desperately need its own Gwynne Shotwell to put the damper on Musk’s meddling instincts so the whole car can consistently live up to its impressive drivetrain.

/rant :rolleyes:

I think I’ve driven enough over the last few days to have an informed opinion on the new interface…

BLUF: The defog/defrost controls absence from the main screen is a safety hazard and needs fixing ASAP; lack of odometers, especially trip odometers, is a royal PITA. The rest of the changes are mostly annoying but probably not safety issues.

I’ve been driving for over 40 years, and until now have never had a car where the defog/defrost controls were not one easy touch away. The ability to quickly and easily access this functIonality is safety-related. Tesla, this is an unconscionable eff-up that needs fixing right now in an immediate bug fix release.
I agree the defrost removal is a bad move and is safety related. They could easily fix this by introducing one function buttons that users can add to the bottom (instead of the current "app" shortcuts they have, that is of limited use for myself personally).
And no trip odometers without covering the map…WTF? There’s all this unused real estate on the left, use it for something useful!
This is actually from something others have suggested. There have been complaints that the old 3 cards on the bottom left was inconsistent with the rest of the UI and should be removed (and Tesla listened). If they add a widget system, they can add something similar back, but I doubt we will see something like that anytime soon.

I also dislike that they removed all the status related icons on the top right (bluetooth, wifi/LTE, dashcam/sentry). This again is something they can easily fix by adding status updating widgets/buttons (for example they have a bluetooth icon you can add, but AFAIK it doesn't change based on connection status).

Others have also pointed out they made a lot of other icons (like AP steering wheel) and font even smaller, which seems like a step back.

Oh Boy, what a mess! My 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor FSD Update Computer got 2021.44.25.2 update a few days ago. I don't love it but it works and has many new features. My 2019 Model S Long Range with FSD & Beta FSD got 2021.44.25.6 today Dec 28,2021. Most of the improved controls are completely missing. No camera blind spot monitoring, no video surveillance from cellphone, no automatic seat heaters, and WORST OF ALL, NO DANCING TESLAS! I'm willing to try to adjust to the new UI. However, why is it that I paid for 11/2 Model 3's and don't enjoy at least the same improvements?? Please Explain. Thank You.

The scheduling gets bollixed, especially from the app. Set a time and it changes the time to something random.
I've been screwing around with the scheduling, mostly because my wife, the main driver, commutes to work, but works Saturdays and is off one day during the week, so I need to keep changing it.

From what I've surmised so far, which is not at all apparent, is that it remembers at least two trigger times. And when you set a time, it sometimes doesn't "take" if it's not communicating with the car.

So, assuming you set a time, then decide to change that time. You can't just delete/edit the old time, you add a new one. And once you have two, if you turn it off, it only seems to turn off the next one, and will reenable itself for the second time.

For example, I set it to precondition at 7:15 AM. I had once set it to precondition at 5:15 PM, so now it preconditions at both times. I think I can change one or the other, but only the next one, and I have to wait for it to pass before I can change the next one. As it is, it preconditions morning and afternoon both.

Anyway, keep this in mind when you see the times changing. There may be some method in the madness.