Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who doesnt have FSD or plan to get it, I am pretty frustrated with the design changes. Why did they make all the GLANCABLE relevant information so much more smaller and harder to read locations?

Also now it just looks like my car is floating in a giant white space while driving. It doesnt even look like its movingm its very jarring...The model of the car is now very low quality with no anti-aliasing and jaggy edges all over. It looks terrible.

Why are there 2 different #s for the speed I'm going ? I dont understand why they thought this was good.

I don’t understand the need for the visualization. Seems gimmicky. If you don’t have FSD, you don’t need it. Once FSD is real, you don’t need it. You should be watching Netflix or sleeping. Seems like a developer mode that is shown to the consumers for the wow factor.
It's like 0-60 times. No one needs that kind of acceleration but it sells cars--just another form of wow factor.

This release is a bit of a disaster. I wear progressive lens in my glasses and this redesign really messes the usability for me. The speed number is much smaller and the large info panel with less information (?) moves the map and media details firmly into the distance part of my vision requiring a bigger head turn to see them. Overall it's a big step backward.

I don’t understand the need for the visualization. Seems gimmicky. If you don’t have FSD, you don’t need it. Once FSD is real, you don’t need it. You should be watching Netflix or sleeping. Seems like a developer mode that is shown to the consumers for the wow factor.
Exactly! Either can’t use or don’t need.

To me this looks like one great big marketing release.

As someone who doesnt have FSD or plan to get it, I am pretty frustrated with the design changes.
I agree. It seems to be an update aimed at FSD Teslas. We don't need all that space for the few visualizations we get, and the map is now smaller.
Elon replied to a request on twitter that there will be options for choosing your layout.

This release is a bit of a disaster. I wear progressive lens in my glasses and this redesign really messes the usability for me. The speed number is much smaller and the large info panel with less information (?) moves the map and media details firmly into the distance part of my vision requiring a bigger head turn to see them. Overall it's a big step backward.

I used to wear progressive lenses and completely understand your frustration. Let’s not let them off with just screwing glasses wearers over though.

Vertical design elements just don’t belong on a screen that people quickly scan. As a species we’re pretty heavily weighted to horizontal scanning. We evolved scanning the horizon for threats and food. Driving is pretty close to a 100% horizontal scanning activity.

Even if I’m not interested in the stacked up information throwing a vertical design element along with a horizontal design element into my field of view is disruptive.

Bad design! Go to your room!

What did he say?
upload_2020-12-30_15-54-31.png

and a day later with more detail:
upload_2020-12-30_15-55-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-30_15-54-39.png
    upload_2020-12-30_15-54-39.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 116
  • upload_2020-12-30_15-54-56.png
    upload_2020-12-30_15-54-56.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 111
GUI definitely going in the wrong direction. Instead of A 3/4 useless screen, it is now 7/8 useless. And takes longer to boot. All the info I actually want to see is now in an area smaller than my old iPhone 4S screen as shown below. Mind you, this phone is almost a decade old. I NEED THE OPTION TO INCREASE FONT SIZE. Doesn't Tesla know that the majority of people over 40 have presbyopia? And I want to be able to choose and reposition the GUI elements where I want them, since obviously some people prefer having pretty pictures taking up the entire screen. Even my nine year old phone can do that, as well as every modern OS. I do not need or want a picture of my car and what is immediately around it. I can see that by looking out the windows. That display does not give me useful information. I don't usually use the map, and when I do, I am constantly fighting it to get the correct zoom level since it always changes back to some idiots idea of what it should be rather than what I need at the moment. And wipers - a safety item, still doesn't work reliably in auto - though at least it is much better than it was. Collision and lane departure - still almost useless. It gives me zero confidence that the software team knows how to create anything but "glitz" software, and I would therefore never even consider FSD since they can't even get the "easy" stuff right and are still going the wrong direction. I haven't seen any useful improvement to the software since dog and sentry mode were introduced nearly two years ago. If I could, I'd roll back to that earlier software version and prevent future "updates".

Attachments

• 20201231_001011_resized.jpg
    20201231_001011_resized.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Why are there 2 different #s for the speed I'm going ? I dont understand why they thought this was good.

There aren’t. There is the current vehicle speed, the cruise control / autopilot set speed and the current speed limit. This information has been rearranged (annoyingly), but isn’t new or materially different.