Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else done anything stupid when driving an ICE vehicle, now you are used to a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting close to two years driving my M3P now and so when I occasionally drive my wife or daughters ICE vehicles I’m prone to the odd brain fart.

The other day, I moved my daughters car to allow me to get my car out. It was after a couple hours away, that I returned to find that I’d left her car on the driveway unlocked, with the keys in the ignition and the engine still running. Oooops. That’s what happens when you get used to just walking away from your car after you drive it.

Anyone else prone to forgetting that ICE vehicles require a bit more thought? 😁

Forgetting a manual car doesn't have a lasting auto-hold when leaving the motorway up the slip road and stopping, then feeling the car start rolling back and hitting the brake.

Worst is cars that only auto-hold for a few seconds and then release. Thinking ah this one does auto-hold, then it doesn't.

Gone are the days of simply getting use to a different clutch.

Reactions: Stranger Dings
Yeah... driving along in 2nd Gear... forgetting I need to stir the gearbox occasionally.

Then forgetting to "get ready to brake" when lifting off the throttle...

Jumping out into traffic, to then remember you don't have 4x4 and 500 bhp...

The last one is a comfort thing... hate getting into a cold car, not prewarmed and toasty with all the windows clear.

Guess that's why they're called ICE cars 😁😁😁 ... good riddance

Modern ICE Turbo engines have made us forget just how responsive a naturally aspirated, fuel injected engine can be.
With a good auto box (NOT Double Clutch rubbish) they are almost as responsive as a M3.... until you remember there is no torque at low revs and you have to thrash them!

My most common error driving an ICE is forgetting to use the brakes to stop...

Not sure about the M3 but in our MX the drivers door either opens automatically as you approach or with a quick touch on the touchscreen to get out. It also closes automatically with a touch of the foot brake.
We have a small Abarth 695 as a local runabout and as a loaner for our kids when they’re over from Guernsey (as they have similar for us when we visit and I wouldn’t want anything bigger over there). If we’ve been using only the MX for a while and then go out in the Abarth I often find my wife just sitting in the car either with the door wide open if she’s just got in or with it shut if we’ve just arrived somewhere. I ask her why she’s just sitting there and she always says “oh I forgot we have to open/close these doors manually”!

Great timing for this thread, I drove my Mrs’ Audi Q7 for the first time in about a month today. Some have already been noted, but my mistakes were

1) taking foot off the accelerator when coming to a speed camera, then realising I wasn’t slowing
2) putting the foot down to gain speed for merge a motorway merge and suddenly wondering who had stolen all my torque
3) wipers instead of reverse
4) forgot to lock the doors after I parked up and came into the house

Reactions: UkNorthampton