TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone else drive an EV from the lower 48 to Alaska?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GuyHall, Sep 18, 2016.

1. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

Two years ago as part of my T5 (Tesla Tijuana to Tundra Tour) I made the trip from Phoenix to Fairbanks (via B.C. and the Yukon). Has anyone driven from the lower US to a Alaska w/o taking the ferry or being towed? Technically you could say the Alaskan panhandle could count, where's the challenge in that?

I had an 85 S at the time. It should be easier two years later, but I'm not sure I want to do it in our X. The reliability needs to shake out a bit....

Comments on either point?

Guy

Attached Files:

2. green1

green1 Active Member

A few years back I drove from Vancouver BC up to Inuvik NWT, it was NOT in a Tesla, but from my recollection of the trip, I can't imagine where you'd find enough charging to do it, there are a lot of very long stretches of nothing up that way, and even looking just for L2 charging I think you'd be stuck (for that matter, even finding a 120v outlet may be a challenge sometimes!)

I'd have no concerns from a reliability stand point (though I might be a little worried about my tires on the Dempster Hwy! (and maybe even the Cassiar))

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Did you write a blog our forum post about your adventures?

If not, do you have enough notes to make one now?

This is something is like to do sometime, but a casual look through plugshare made it seem pretty difficult on the charging front even if you weren't in a hurry.

I've read that Elon said they plan to Supercharge it eventually, with no timeline attached.

4. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

i found electricity almost everywhere. RV parks where best, followed by auto shops, arc welding shops, etc. Absolute worst case is having to knock on someone's door like you would asking for a cup of sugar (never had to do this, but came close...).

5. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

I had no problems with the reliability of the Model S during the trip to Fairbanks. However the model X gives me some concerns. I'd hate to encounter a situation where I can't open the door because of a Phantom object or I can't close it.

6. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

I'll see where some of my notes are.

7. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

I was hoping that someone else would be interested in making this trip, and considering there should be more power in route, so I made it a challenge.

However, and no one seems to be interested in making this trip that I've seen so far. It really shouldn't be hard to beat my time.

Trophy for Fastest BEV Time From US Washington/Canada Border to Fairbanks, Alaska

Trophy for Fastest BEV Time From US Washington/Canada Border to Fairbanks, Alaska

Fairbanks Daily News Miner Coverage of California to Alaska Road Trip

8. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

#8 brucet999, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Seems like it should be easy to find plug-in facilities in AK. Nearly every car I saw was a plug-in. :)

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

There's a guy who did a 50 state tour in his Tesla. Not much information on how he managed the leg to Alaska though.
    50 States in Model S

I don't know if this is someone else or not.
    The Electric Road Trip