Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else drive an EV from the lower 48 to Alaska?

GuyHall

Jan 16, 2014
Granite Bay, CA
Two years ago as part of my T5 (Tesla Tijuana to Tundra Tour) I made the trip from Phoenix to Fairbanks (via B.C. and the Yukon). Has anyone driven from the lower US to a Alaska w/o taking the ferry or being towed? Technically you could say the Alaskan panhandle could count, where's the challenge in that?

I had an 85 S at the time. It should be easier two years later, but I'm not sure I want to do it in our X. The reliability needs to shake out a bit....

Comments on either point?

Guy

Attachments

• IMG_20140809_190046 A.jpg
    IMG_20140809_190046 A.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 31

green1

Mar 25, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A few years back I drove from Vancouver BC up to Inuvik NWT, it was NOT in a Tesla, but from my recollection of the trip, I can't imagine where you'd find enough charging to do it, there are a lot of very long stretches of nothing up that way, and even looking just for L2 charging I think you'd be stuck (for that matter, even finding a 120v outlet may be a challenge sometimes!)

I'd have no concerns from a reliability stand point (though I might be a little worried about my tires on the Dempster Hwy! (and maybe even the Cassiar))

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
Did you write a blog our forum post about your adventures?

If not, do you have enough notes to make one now?

This is something is like to do sometime, but a casual look through plugshare made it seem pretty difficult on the charging front even if you weren't in a hurry.

I've read that Elon said they plan to Supercharge it eventually, with no timeline attached.

GuyHall

Jan 16, 2014
Granite Bay, CA
A few years back I drove from Vancouver BC up to Inuvik NWT, it was NOT in a Tesla, but from my recollection of the trip, I can't imagine where you'd find enough charging to do it, there are a lot of very long stretches of nothing up that way, and even looking just for L2 charging I think you'd be stuck (for that matter, even finding a 120v outlet may be a challenge sometimes!)

i found electricity almost everywhere. RV parks where best, followed by auto shops, arc welding shops, etc. Absolute worst case is having to knock on someone's door like you would asking for a cup of sugar (never had to do this, but came close...).

GuyHall

Jan 16, 2014
Granite Bay, CA
I'd have no concerns from a reliability stand point (though I might be a little worried about my tires on the Dempster Hwy! (and maybe even the Cassiar))

I had no problems with the reliability of the Model S during the trip to Fairbanks. However the model X gives me some concerns. I'd hate to encounter a situation where I can't open the door because of a Phantom object or I can't close it.

GuyHall

Jan 16, 2014
Granite Bay, CA
Did you write a blog our forum post about your adventures?

If not, do you have enough notes to make one now?

This is something is like to do sometime, but a casual look through plugshare made it seem pretty difficult on the charging front even if you weren't in a hurry.

I've read that Elon said they plan to Supercharge it eventually, with no timeline attached.
I'll see where some of my notes are.

GuyHall

Jan 16, 2014
Granite Bay, CA
I was hoping that someone else would be interested in making this trip, and considering there should be more power in route, so I made it a challenge.

However, and no one seems to be interested in making this trip that I've seen so far. It really shouldn't be hard to beat my time.

Trophy for Fastest BEV Time From US Washington/Canada Border to Fairbanks, Alaska

Trophy for Fastest BEV Time From US Washington/Canada Border to Fairbanks, Alaska

Fairbanks Daily News Miner Coverage of California to Alaska Road Trip

brucet999

Mar 12, 2015
Huntington Beach, CA
i found electricity almost everywhere. RV parks where best, followed by auto shops, arc welding shops, etc. Absolute worst case is having to knock on someone's door like you would asking for a cup of sugar (never had to do this, but came close...).

Seems like it should be easy to find plug-in facilities in AK. Nearly every car I saw was a plug-in. :)

s2k6pINJ7X1plxM4-YCbXU8u0SQBwWm5SBip6dFMVrbfoe_sTMg8xccbdJlHupyBQiXjuesGJi2I9dHZFVuZ2iE1gR8TZQPd-oVZHCXjcFtbhYJsG2pzrIYZqqT2q1_QqMlRWwuPMDhGjqgMddEDjsfmILtM6NuiIB6lljVu1cK_-QYLizz4yhgfyU9MdQ9JoJJ_Ck7omvsmHZIYQxLwgPg0OXqefnP5xhvA4kgUph7ApGXLcf4bGK_uXspIF_7-KAGf7DhNkHkDrsVU2WEfWnjV1KSQ-1053DnrJbeftI3mNohGyidftXA5c622t-P6Rm10SCEdrpRkomVWfm2JnxmJQdMZHerzysr0ueicItRUIvX_Fhu-Ucrs1aL0IEhLkBTOxno_uVXuWL4FkrG0GLnZtIYZNAIctjjPEmRQ81ap42eYd-symKfVZKstVutIsiO4-FAe7gJW9kc6Rb-bicQQco-86ePBKVmupWZmCtLvMhJIfPrymHhdOdIYMgEc8JFg_4BGt-i-mDCyYoOCP4ZeESS00135DdPYvGoMSY6QyhBEsRk7ZNaHUKOIWHgCFR-Yi6zi43rK6S8ZA3r3XEwvF7VRkD5Fj7cJlm5OagoRCkLD=s943-no

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: skrenes and Saghost

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC