Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Else Experiencing Regular 21" Arachnid Tires "Thumping" Loudly When Turning While Backing Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2021+ Model S in December 2021. It is equipped with regular 21" Arachnid tires. From the beginning, whenever I back out of my driveway and start to turn (either left or right) at the bottom of the drive, I ALWAYS experience a "thumping" or "banging" as my front tires are turned. The Tesla shop folks insist everything is normal, while I remain concerned the tires are being damaged. Has anyone else -- driving a 2021+or 2022 Model S equipped with 21" Arachnid tires -- experienced this same issue?

Yes, mine does it too. Like you, I was a little surprised at first, but this thread explains it nicely. It’s basically just a little wheel hop when turning at or near full lock.

• Helpful
Reactions: nilesborg
I haven't changed out my 19's for the Arachnids yet, but my 911 does this as well. It's called the Ackerman effect and the wide wheels + Arachnid summer tires seem to be the culprit. The good news is that it only does it when it's cool/cold out but it goes away once the temps rise. It happens for about a month in the spring after I take my car out of storage from the Ohio winter but then completely goes away until late fall when the temps drop again.

• Informative
Reactions: nilesborg
Yes my Plaid does it also. Previously P85D didn't. I suspect the wider tires and maybe tire compound that is more sensitive to cold temps is the cause. Ackerman effect sounds better than "chunking" which is what I always heard it called.