Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else extremely frustrated with getting Model S in for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are listening. The Bay Area has been challenged and we are increasing capacity with centers, technicians and a better process to minimize wait times. We've also increased loaner availability. Each service center now has a 'fast lane' to address minor issues in an expedited way. If you are experiencing an issue that you feel needs to be escalated, please private message me here and my team work to resolve it for you. We want you to be completely happy with your service experience.

We'll have 4 to 5 times the number of Teslas on the road at the end of 2018 than we do now if Tesla achieves their goal. They'll need four times the Service Centers to even maintain their current level of service, which can charitably be described as "overbooked". There are about 60 SvCs in the US now. If we are to have 240 to 300 SvCs by the end of 2018, Tesla needs to be opening about 200/2.5 = 80 a year, or one every 4.5 days, just to keep up. Are there any indications this is happening?

No, there are no indications of this whatsoever. This is Tesla's single biggest weak point, and I've been saying so for years. They need about 60 more for minimal geographic coverage in the US alone, and 120 would be better. After that, it may well make sense to have much bigger service centers for the biggest cities rather than more service centers, but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

However, I think they're finally paying attention to it and reading these threads. So maybe there will be some signs of progress? Perhaps service centers in the smaller major metro areas (hint hint Syracuse NY hint)? Perhaps much bigger service centers in the biggest metro areas (apparently they are actually building a big service center in SF)?

I would say in addition to the necessary geographic coverage so nobody's ever more than 150 miles away from an SC, the biggest cities need mega-service centers distributed in all compass directions around the center of the city (this should be more cost-effective than lots of smaller service centers, while avoiding the most expensive land). NYC needs three really big mega-service-centers, one in Long Island, one in New Jersey, and one north of the city; SF needs one mega-service-center for the city and the north end of the Peninsula, one for the East Bay, and one for the southern peninsula and South Bay, plus a smaller service center for the North Bay. Et cetera (I haven't worked out exactly what's appropriate for LA, or Chicago, or Philadelphia, or DC, but you get the idea.) Here's hoping we hear some announcements of progress soon.

We are listening. The Bay Area has been challenged and we are increasing capacity with centers, technicians and a better process to minimize wait times.

For what it's worth my 2016 70D just crossed 10,000 miles and has had zero issues and not needed a single visit to a SC. Of course I realize it's 5 years after the Model S began being built.

So, one silver lining for Tesla in general may be this: the quality level of the newer cars seems to be light years better than the earlier cars, according to Musk's claims and web polls here on TMC. If this is the case then hopefully the service backlog is largely due to ongoing quality problems with earlier year cars and the still-teething first year Model X's.

If most 2016 Model S's are like mine - as in, zero problems - perhaps this is an indication that Tesla plans/hopes to fix the service center backlog issue simply by building better cars.

In theory this should be possible, given that there are so many fewer things to go wrong in an EV vs an equivalent gas car - even one as complicated as a Tesla.

Of course this won't fix the problems currently of owners waiting for service - I'm only holding out a ray of hope that as service centers get built out AND quality improves, these two forces should combine over time to get wait times down.

One would think that in the long run Tesla can get by with far, far fewer facilities devoted to service than ICE manufacturers need.

Precisely. Higher reliability has made a huge difference in capacity need.

For what it's worth my 2016 70D just crossed 10,000 miles and has had zero issues and not needed a single visit to a SC. Of course I realize it's 5 years after the Model S began being built.

So, one silver lining for Tesla in general may be this: the quality level of the newer cars seems to be light years better than the earlier cars, according to Musk's claims and web polls here on TMC. If this is the case then hopefully the service backlog is largely due to ongoing quality problems with earlier year cars and the still-teething first year Model X's.

If most 2016 Model S's are like mine - as in, zero problems - perhaps this is an indication that Tesla plans/hopes to fix the service center backlog issue simply by building better cars.

In theory this should be possible, given that there are so many fewer things to go wrong in an EV vs an equivalent gas car - even one as complicated as a Tesla.

Of course this won't fix the problems currently of owners waiting for service - I'm only holding out a ray of hope that as service centers get built out AND quality improves, these two forces should combine over time to get wait times down.

One would think that in the long run Tesla can get by with far, far fewer facilities devoted to service than ICE manufacturers need.

Precisely. Higher reliability has made a huge difference in capacity need.

I am sure I speak for many in thanking you for following threads devoted to questions and concerns about service centers.
When GBlankenship posted on TMC
A couple years ago it made a world of difference to many that someone at HQ heard concerns and was addressing them.

Thanks

I am sure I speak for many in thanking you for following threads devoted to questions and concerns about service centers.
When GBlankenship posted on TMC
A couple years ago it made a world of difference to many that someone at HQ heard concerns and was addressing them.

Thanks

Anyone know if other automakers count cars in transit, or just those physically delivered to dealers?

I have been remiss:eek:: Jerome was also excellent in responding to his customers when they had service issues/concerns with their Ss.;)

I have been remiss:eek:: Jerome was also excellent in responding to his customers when they had service issues/concerns with their Ss.;)
You are confusing me with quoting my post from the Short Term thread. Had me worried I am beginning onset of senility and posting in the wrong place. I'd like to enjoy my X for a few more years before they take away my license. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Genshi
I love my SC and I've always received top notch service from Tesla. They always fit me in, and I always get an MS loaner. My suggestion is to find a tech you like working with, build a rapport with them, find out what they like to drink, leave a bottle of that in the frunk of your loaner upon return, and then discreetly notify the tech upon return that the frunk hinges were "a little squeaky" and that they should check that out personally and as soon as possible.

I'm not saying causation equates to correlation, but I've always received top notch service from Tesla.

Reactions: madodel
While I have always been treated extremely well and the turnaround times at each SC visit has been fast, some of the quality of the work has been done on my car has been poor. You can read about it in my other discussion here 6th drive unit replacement and more

If you have to swap out the same part (drive unit) 6 times (7 times if I count the double swap they did in one visit) there is something fundamentally wrong. If they can't fix an alignment issue in 4 visits, then what else is left?

I just recently had a really bad experience with service--

I had scheduled an appointment months in advance to drop off my car on a Friday before a week long vacation. My service advisor said it would likely take a couple days to complete. When I got back a week later my service advisor emailed to say that they hadn't even looked at the car to begin service (it was "still in queue"). ANOTHER WEEK passed and my car was still in queue. *17 days* after I dropped off my car they began the service and emailed to tell me that they'd need to order some parts. Once the parts came in it just took a day of actual work time to get everything fixed up.

Pretty ridiculous to book an appointment months in advance and for the car to just sit there at the service center collecting dust for weeks before it's even looked at. I've never experienced similar maintenance delays with a private garage or dealer in the past. Really quite a shame.

Exactly the same experience here (@ Palo Alto): Scheduled an appointment for my annual service + one minor issue. Got an appointment four weeks out (no problem). When I came in to drop off my car they didn't have a loaner for me. First they wanted to give me a rental and exchange that for a loaner once available, but shortly after changed their mind and sent me back home - "we'll call you when we have a loaner for you". Got a call a day later, dropped my car off, got a loaner S, and then.... nothing. For a long long 2 weeks. When I called in to request an update my SA said something like "I've got good news (!) for you, your car moved up in the queue from number 34 to 12.". That was after my car sat there, (literally) collecting dust, for TWO WEEKS. Another week passed by, and I got my car back. Service has been done, the other issue has been unresolved ("couldn't be reproduced"). Car sat outside for 3 weeks and was completely covered in dust and bird droppings. I made it very clear to my SA that I'm not happy about that at all (after paying $840 for a service that, at pretty much every other OEM, typically takes not more than a day and costs zero for the first 4 years). He offered I could schedule another appointment to have my car detailed. Not sure I want to take the time to do that...

Bottom line, you could call that growing pain, but, given their projected sales growth, makes me wonder how this will go in one or two years from now...

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SFPD
Bottom line, you could call that growing pain, but, given their projected sales growth, makes me wonder how this will go in one or two years from now...

Yep, that is the biggest concern. How is all this going to be when there are another 300,000 Teslas out there that need service, body repair, loaners etc...as much as they fight against it I can see franchise service centers in the future..

I waited 2.5 months to get the car [serviced at Tesla] [Gizmotoy - the OP]
Guess it wasn't that scary a deal, but I'm curious just what it was that they discovered with all the clunking and scraping going on. o_O
--
They replaced the friction shims and bolts for the steering rack. I believe they found that the bolts were loose and the sound was the assembly shifting back and forth slightly on the loose bolts as the chassis flexed going down a hill one wheel at a time. It did seem to work for a few days, and another member posted about the exact same issue and the same fix completely resolved their problem, so I was hopeful. Unfortunately mine recurred a few days later. Given they seem to already have the cause identified, I suspect they'll be trying to figure out a way to make that previous fix more permanent.

As they promised, I dropped off my car at the SC this morning and got a loaner. I was able to reproduce the issue this morning, so we'll see what they figure out.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and TaoJones