Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else find TACC still not trustworthy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TACC does NOT see stopped vehicles it wasn't tracking before. The tech reason is that it uses the doppler that is not zero to filter out
all the 'chaff' of trees, overhanging signs etc.. It knows your speed and ignores stuff at 0 relative to you.

AFAIK, if you come around a corner and there is a stopped car, TACC will not stop. AEB will engauge when the radar return is so huge that it's pretty sure you are in trouble..and then slow you down. But it will not be able to stop in time to avoid a crash.

Thats my understanding.
Although this is a common belief on the forums, it isn't correct. Automotive radar uses a Continuous Wave technique to locate targets and digital signal processors to calculate the 3D position, velocity, and approximate size. There is no difference between moving and stopped targets.

In my experience, on AP, the car will stop smoothly and reliably if it comes up on a car already stopped, even if it wasn't tracking it previously.

In my experience, on AP, the car will stop smoothly and reliably if it comes up on a car already stopped, even if it wasn't tracking it previously.

That's been my understanding, but I've wondered whether AP (or TACC) would slow down and stop in time to avoid crashing into a stopped vehicle in front of me. Case in point, I was on I-90 driving thru South Dakota recently when I encountered traffic in front of me slowed to a crawl by a construction zone. At the time I was traveling at 85 mph and construction traffic was traveling under 20 mph. I saw the slowdown in plenty of time (heck, SD is so flat you can almost see one end of the state from the other) so I tapped the brake and slowed down. So my question is, would AP have noticed the slowed/stopped traffic in time to avoid the crash?

I have used TACC in numerous instances with stop and go traffic on the turnpike.... it works splendidly.
My only complaint with TACC is when I am on a highway and in the right hand lane moving along with traffic, say 60+ MPH.
When the car in front of me decides to take a right hand exit, TACC really slows my car down much more than I would have.
When the car exiting is finally out of the lane TACC picks my speed back up.

To me, It is just that aggressive slow down that I do not enjoy. So I have anticipated this at times and have gently applied the
GO pedal in this instances and it works.... But TACC does not learn this behavior....
I am on setting 4 for trailing distance BTW.

Oh, I am on 2.28.19 BTW.

That's been my understanding, but I've wondered whether AP (or TACC) would slow down and stop in time to avoid crashing into a stopped vehicle in front of me. Case in point, I was on I-90 driving thru South Dakota recently when I encountered traffic in front of me slowed to a crawl by a construction zone. At the time I was traveling at 85 mph and construction traffic was traveling under 20 mph. I saw the slowdown in plenty of time (heck, SD is so flat you can almost see one end of the state from the other) so I tapped the brake and slowed down. So my question is, would AP have noticed the slowed/stopped traffic in time to avoid the crash?

Yes. And it would automatically pick back up and slow down, as conditions warranted.
What is your trailing distance? You may need to adjust it, if you feel your comfort zone was tested.

I'm familiar with that behavior -- used it many times in city traffic. Still wondering about suddenly encountering stopped traffic when I'm doing 85 on the open road.
I've encountered stopped traffic on a highway after topping a hill going 75 and the car very smoothly slowed down and came to a complete stop without any intervention. I generally have my following distance set at 4.

This behavior was not the case with the first release of AP. We had one very scary incident similar to what I described, except the car didn't slow down on it's own. Both my wife and I always watch AP like hawks so were able to stop safely. Subsequent updates however have completely cured the problem and now the car does very well.

• Informative
Reactions: rhumbliner
I'm familiar with that behavior -- used it many times in city traffic. Still wondering about suddenly encountering stopped traffic when I'm doing 85 on the open road.

Hi rhumbliner, yes that was my answer to your I90 description. There are cautionary warnings about unique situations encountered when traveling at higher speeds so vigilence is key, but I've personally found unexpected freeway traffic jams and sudden stops to be well navigated and the previously set speed resumed once clear in most cases without intervention. I can't speak to 85 exactly as I hover around 80, but my trailing distance for freeway driving is 6 which provides me ample time to feel and trust the deceleration or decide to take control. What is your trailing distance?

I agree with each of you that when used properly, both TACC and Autosteer work just fine. Likewise when it comes to situations i know AP does not handle well i always take control. The problem is NOT PAYING ATTENTION like the driver in China was not doing. He is to blame for his accident, not the AP.

And btw from personal experience a setting of 5 works best on distance keeping slowing at a more gradual pace. Then from a stop, I start reaccellerating manually and then let TACC resume driving to keep close enough not to be cut in front of.

Reactions: davidc18
Hi rhumbliner, yes that was my answer to your I90 description. There are cautionary warnings about unique situations encountered when traveling at higher speeds so vigilence is key, but I've personally found unexpected freeway traffic jams and sudden stops to be well navigated and the previously set speed resumed once clear in most cases without intervention. I can't speak to 85 exactly as I hover around 80, but my trailing distance for freeway driving is 6 which provides me ample time to feel and trust the deceleration or decide to take control. What is your trailing distance?

In this scenario I believe trailing distance is not a factor. If I'm happily cruising along at 85 (or 80, or 70), not following any traffic, and 200 yards ahead of me traffic is at a dead stop, will TACC sense that in time to avoid the crash? I realize that cresting a hill or rounding a curve can create an extreme condition, but if I'm simply on a flat stretch of road the question is whether or not TACC is "looking" far enough ahead to slow to a stop in time. Perhaps a more accurate question is, "How far ahead can TACC recognize a non-moving object?".

I believe a typical distance for automotive radar is about 150 - 200 m, and that's about what I see in our car as well. There's no difference if the target car is moving or stopped.

EDIT: The Bosch unit that I believe is in the Tesla has a range of 160 m.

Last edited:
  • Informative
In this scenario I believe trailing distance is not a factor. If I'm happily cruising along at 85 (or 80, or 70), not following any traffic, and 200 yards ahead of me traffic is at a dead stop, will TACC sense that in time to avoid the crash? I realize that cresting a hill or rounding a curve can create an extreme condition, but if I'm simply on a flat stretch of road the question is whether or not TACC is "looking" far enough ahead to slow to a stop in time. Perhaps a more accurate question is, "How far ahead can TACC recognize a non-moving object?".

I am unable to definitively quantify that for you, sorry, but I've never encountered a situation so fast + so sudden + without any movement (truly stationary) which I think you are describing. I guess the official answer may be "zero" since the manual does state the following:

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control can not detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object, bicycle, or pedestrian is in front of you instead. Always pay attention to the road ahead and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action. Depending on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death. In addition, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing Model S to slow down unnecessarily or inappropriately.

• Informative
As I understand, stationary items are a special case. There are lots of stationary items: signs, fences, cows, .... The problem is distinguishing which are problematic and need action, and which should be ignored. The two accidents with vehicles stopped in the left lane are illustrative, as was the truck accident. The newer 3D approach with the radar that EM tweeted about should improve this ++.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
I have used TACC in numerous instances with stop and go traffic on the turnpike.... it works splendidly.
My only complaint with TACC is when I am on a highway and in the right hand lane moving along with traffic, say 60+ MPH.
When the car in front of me decides to take a right hand exit, TACC really slows my car down much more than I would have.
When the car exiting is finally out of the lane TACC picks my speed back up.

To me, It is just that aggressive slow down that I do not enjoy. So I have anticipated this at times and have gently applied the
GO pedal in this instances and it works.... But TACC does not learn this behavior....
I am on setting 4 for trailing distance BTW.

Oh, I am on 2.28.19 BTW.

This seems to have improved. Although I typically drive at distance 5-6. I had the same complaint (and emailed Tesla about it). We are on 2.30.33.

Try going to your closest Service Center/Sales Center to get in the geofence to see if you can get an update.

I am afraid I have to dissent here and say that I have encountered a small number of instances in which the car did not slow down when approaching a stopped vehicle. In particular, if the vehicle ahead of you leaves your lane and the next vehicle ahead is stopped, my experience is that the car may not stop in time. This is mentioned as a situation the car may not handle, in the owner's manual. So, vigilance is essential, especially when vehicles change lanes ahead of you...

I am afraid I have to dissent here and say that I have encountered a small number of instances in which the car did not slow down when approaching a stopped vehicle. In particular, if the vehicle ahead of you leaves your lane and the next vehicle ahead is stopped, my experience is that the car may not stop in time. This is mentioned as a situation the car may not handle, in the owner's manual. So, vigilance is essential, especially when vehicles change lanes ahead of you...

Agreed....also, have had 3 occasions (spread out over 3 1/2 months) while driving on I95 in Ga and FL where vehicle has unexpectedly severed violently left and then right before I took over. In first case, truck on right side; second & third cases, no vehicles near by.

IMO, anyone driving with this product on should be continuosly vigilant.

Agreed....also, have had 3 occasions (spread out over 3 1/2 months) while driving on I95 in Ga and FL where vehicle has unexpectedly severed violently left and then right before I took over. In first case, truck on right side; second & third cases, no vehicles near by.

IMO, anyone driving with this product on should be continuosly vigilant.
YES!! What he said!

You should never expect TACC to detect a stationary object in your path. Just don't. You are in control at all times and responsible for the vehicles path and trajectory at all times. Drive smart and safe. TACC is amazing but is just a tool to aid in the safe operation of the vehicle.