Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else find their MX unlocked when they don't expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just coming up on a month of ownership of a new MX and I'm concerned about the car's security.

I keep coming back to the car and finding that it's already unlocked before I get there. When this happens, I come to the car and the lights don't flash/turn on when I walk up. Nor does the Driver's side door open (I have PUP).

I've noticed this now in a few places:
- Most commonly is our garage.
- Just yesterday while we were parked outside of a friend's house.

The garage at home makes some sense, I could see that if we walk by the garage, if the fob is strong enough that it would be detected. The friend's house is prob 20 ft from the curb, so I suppose we could have been within range, but that is kind of crazy that if we were at someone's house that the car could just unlock itself while we're inside unknowingly.

The other odd part to me about how this is implemented is that we have the walk-away door lock on. I'm surprised that even if the car did get accidentally triggered by our being in the vancity that it wouldn't just lock itself after some period of time. (My 2004 Mazda did that)

Anyone else having this issue?

(Also: I know I could turn off passive entry, but that seems to kill one of the best features of this car, including the self presenting doors, for the times that it works)

Yeah, that definitely seems odd. You can use the app to check whether the car is locked or unlocked, as well as lock the car from the app, so checking while you are away from the car might both help give you a little peace of mind, and also help give you a bit more information about exactly when it is unlocking to help diagnose the problem.

Absolutely.... Thank goodness it's happened most in my office garage.... driver's door usually stays open after getting out.

I try to at least listen for the door to close now..... or I triple click the fob if I'm thinking it won't close itself.

-m

@soaring47. You may wish to check the proximity of the Key Fob to the X. It operates on Blue Tooth. Since the unlocking is occurring in your home and office, the closeness (even through walls and floors) seems a possibility. As an example, my phone will pair to the X when the phone is 50 feet away in the kitchen. Try moving your FOB further from the X when home and see if the issue still occurs. Also, you may experience premature battery degradation since the FOB is trying to communicate with the X.

The place I leave my keys is literally 8 feet from the front of the X and the car seems to always be unlocked. I solved it by putting the keys in a metal box (with lid) but still a bit further away. Without the metal box, the car still unlocks.

Our Model S has the opposite issue where often I couldn't even open the trunk until walking up to the passenger rear door area to unlock the car.