Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else get this gift certificate for jeans from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought Elon did not believe in marketing?
Tesla always had marketing. All Tesla memorabilia, the brochures they give out, gifts (like this one), and the Tesla stores themselves are marketing. Like Cosmacelf, Tesla haven't done advertising (yet). Eventually, Tesla will have to do some advertising (for Gen III for sure).

Unfortunately, this reinforces the stereotype of marcom people (Marketing Communications) as not being the sharpest people in the world. That's unfortunate because marketing as a discipline within a company is very important and very hard to do right.

I once said to a VP of Marketing for Wells Fargo (and friend):
"You're more interested in being heard than being right."
It was over some massive factual inaccuracy about ancient Egypt, a subject I'd studied in college.

I received the mailing as well. Seemed cheap, as Tesla usually sends physical gifts, especially to the Signature buyers. The V12 may indicate a previous campaign to Mercedes Benz owners, as their V12 vehicle is very expensive.

The surprise was reading reviews of the "7 for all mankind" jeans on the web. Many buyers are not happy especially when discounts are available at mass retailers. Glad to hear it was not a "gift" and only a promotion. I will continue to enjoy my 501 or Boot Cut Levi's while driving Model S.

These were very helpful and accurate without conjecture. I appreciate it.
According to the other forum, which I rarely check someone got this response from Tesla that it was a joint marketing effort!:mad:

I really hope this is not true:

hammy16 | AUGUST 31, 2013
I was not thrilled by it and that is why I contacted Tesla.
Here is the response I got. Judge for yourself
Hi xxxxxx
Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Motors. The recent gift card you received is part of a promotion with 7 For All Mankind. 7 For All Mankind is launching a premium denim line for men called 'Luxe Performance.' Tesla Motors has partnered with 7 For All Mankind and owners (in select areas) have received a gift card for a purchase at 7 For All Mankind stores. There is no obligation to buy or use the gift card as it is simply a gift.
Tesla managed the mailing of the envelopes with a third party so no customer information was added to any external mailing list. An Non-disclosure Agreement was signed by the outside company that mailed the envelopes to ensure this information was a one time use.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us again if there is anything else we can assist you with.
Best,
Brent Stutler | Ownership Experience Advocate
3500 Deer Creek Rd. | Palo Alto, CA 94304
[email protected] | 877.79.TESLA
P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

- - - Updated - - -

As was this...
So I just got a better email from Tesla regarding this. It was an attempt at cross marketing. The reason Tesla did this was to reach 7 for all Mankind's customers. Reading the email, it implies that Tesla got to send their marketing letter to 7 for all Mankind's customer list, while 7 for all Mankind got to send a promo to us. As the letter says, mistakes were made, lessons learned and time to move on. Here's the text:
----
Thank you for your comments regarding the 7 For All Mankind promotion.

Yes, we are aware that the V12 messaging was off brand for Tesla. This was an approval error made on behalf of the marketing department. We are taking the comments of our owners very seriously and have suspended future activities planned with 7FAM. I apologize for an inconvenience or confusion this may have caused. The intent was to provide a 'gift' to our owners while also introducing Model S to customers of 7 For All Mankind.

Again, we appreciate your feedback. Lesson Learned!

I'm not sure I agree with the negative sentiment for receiving a $100 off purchase of $250 gift card. The V12 message was idiotic and I think some low level staffer will probably get canned for agreeing to it. However, kudos for Tesla for rewarding their owners at minimal, if any, cost. More of this please!!!

I'm not sure I agree with the negative sentiment for receiving a $100 off purchase of $250 gift card. The V12 message was idiotic and I think some low level staffer will probably get canned for agreeing to it. However, kudos for Tesla for rewarding their owners at minimal, if any, cost. More of this please!!!
Um, no thank you. I get enough junk mail already.

If they want to offer this, put it on the web site and send out an e-mail to Tesla customers indicating how they can leverage the offer. I'm not a tree hugger but I don't need more paper in my physical mailbox.

I understand your complaint. However, for the record, in my 4 mos of ownership, I haven't received anything spam-ish that I could attribute to Tesla.
This card came in a Tesla "Thank You Card" sized envelope with Tesla's return address on it.
So I don't think the 7 Luxe Jeans marketeers have learned the location of my sock drawer.
I saw the envelope, ripped it open assuming it was my Hyperloop boarding pass, and was quickly deflated to learn it was some rag swag.
But, nice of Tesla to think of me.
I've not gotten a piece of mail either. So must be from another source.

I don't find "the denim equivalent of a v12 engine" line to be as off target as some of you think. But then again I'm a car enthusiast. I can appreciate nice cars. I don't go into convulsions when I have to drive our other car with an ICE.

I bought the Model S primarily for it's performance credentials. Although I'll probably never buy a car with an ICE again for myself. Heck my next vehicle purchase will probably be a Tesla. LOL Pass the Kool-Aid.

What should they have written instead??? I guess "The denim equivalent of a p85+" would have worked much better!

If we're ever in Yorkdale, my wife might end up using it. :)