Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else getting flashed a lot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am beginning to wonder if my headlight alignment is out as I am getting quite a few cars flashing high beam at me.
Earliest SC appointment for me is 29th Nov so I will look for a local MOT centre to see if they can at least test the level for me. I understand the adjustment is done via the console so hopefully they will let me adjust (if needed) whilst there.

Matrix LED headlights are another feature I really miss. I’ve been flashed many times because main beam is too slow to dip, and then I’m driving blind for a couple of seconds because it’s too slow to come on again afterwards. There are, unfortunately, many examples of the M3 lagging behind technology that other cars in a similar price range have enjoyed for years. The dreadful windscreen wipers are another example. Having said that, I don’t think I’ve ever been flashed when driving on low beam.

Didn't the M3 just get an award for the best headlights? Best is a relative term I guess. Those coming the other way may not be appreciating the goodness. :)
It’s an American market award, so it’s a fight in a fairly limited pool in a marketplace so far behind in headlight tech that it mandated that all cars must have sealed beam units until 1984. They’ve lagged behind European makers ever since. They still aren’t allowed matrix beams, a technology on my Audi that made its lights, by a huge margin, the best lights I’ve ever had.

Didn't the M3 just get an award for the best headlights? Best is a relative term I guess. Those coming the other way may not be appreciating the goodness. :)

I doubt it. As above post says. Better than our family Passat which rank as worse headlights ever but my last two cars far outshine it.

First LED headlights car we have owned and I think the beam spread drops off like a cliff edge. I could never see the point of turning lights but I can see the point in the M3. Turning right at abroubdabout is like driving into the unknown.

All made worse by auto dip being so bad. However I wonder if what we perceive as potentially dazzling oncoming cars is actually not a problem as the beam does not actually reach them at that point?

I am beginning to wonder if my headlight alignment is out as I am getting quite a few cars flashing high beam at me.
Earliest SC appointment for me is 29th Nov so I will look for a local MOT centre to see if they can at least test the level for me. I understand the adjustment is done via the console so hopefully they will let me adjust (if needed) whilst there.

Same, I have been getting flashed more often, I plan to get them checked when at the SC looking at other minor issues. I'd say the lights are on a par with my previous 2016 BMW 3 series that has standard LED lights. Both cars are similarly slow to dip, too slow, I gave up using it on both cars. It seems only the matrix type lights are truly handfree operation.

My headlights took it open themselves to suddenly go onto main beam whilst I was travelling in the dark and in the rush hour going up the A3 yesterday. I hadn’t just switched the lights on either. There were cars in font of me and cars coming in the other direction on the other side of the barriers, all with their lights on. It lasted about 2 seconds. I had the outside lane to myself for a short while everyone moved over and got out of the way. I assume they thought I was the fuzz. Interesting phenomena. Didn’t happen again, yet.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
Yes when I picked up my Model 3 I was flashed at by a lot of people. The dipped headlights were very high and bright. You can adjust them in the settings when parked though, so I moved them down a bit and it's helped.

Those tests seem to use the fact that any car that has high beam assist (ie Tesla) will help offset poor low beam performance. So poor low beam performance on a car with HBA will score higher than a car with same poor low beam performance but does not have HBA. Personally I would like to see the scores not taking HBA into account (may be there but I have not noticed them) since HBA on Tesla is quite hit and miss so many will not use it.

Also, they do not appear to mark tight turning circle performance, like turning around a roundabout. This is when I feel that due to the sudden drop off in light, the lights perform worst nd a turn light may help.

Funny how we are all noticing this since the clocks changed and it got dark. They look way too high on low beam and last night I was getting flashed all the time.

I'm going to do a basic wall test over the weekend and adjust if required. I think the basic technique is to park a few feet from a wall, mark the wall at the centre of the light and then reverse out on level ground to about 50 feet and see if the lights shine higher than the mark on the wall.

As mentioned above, I think the lights may be shining to the right for LHD EU vehicles.

I must admit that the headlights aren't as good as I expected them to be. One thing I really miss is adaptive headlights ie the ones that move in response to your steering. I had this in a 2007 Merc and also in a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee so the technology isn't new and has crossed the pond. I never realised how much I took them for granted.

Reactions: drewpost
exhibitionist-flasher-photodisc-getty-200305166-001-56a9d9e63df78cf772ab19bf.jpg