Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else getting Fobs with late number VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't count on actually getting the key fobs when you pick up the car. According to many, including my own personal call to Tesla, key fobs are not yet available and likely won't be until sometime in 2019. They're probably included in the price of your car and like the emblems and spoilers for Performance versions, will likely be delivered to you at a later date when they come in. Let us know if you do actually get them, but wanted to pre-warn you so you're not disappointed. I personally don't think you'll actually get them at the time of delivery.

Reactions: GuyDude
I was at the Santa Clara, CA Service Center yesterday. I asked about the fobs and was told "end of quarter". So maybe sometime in January?

On a side note: I was charged $20 for each new keycard (bought two more).

I was at the Santa Clara, CA Service Center yesterday. I asked about the fobs and was told "end of quarter". So maybe sometime in January?

On a side note: I was charged $20 for each new keycard (bought two more).

Huh, I thought they were $10 each? Good to know. Anyone know if the fobs are supposed to be free or how much are they?

Huh, I thought they were $10 each? Good to know. Anyone know if the fobs are supposed to be free or how much are they?

When I called, and reading posts from others that have called, Tesla still isn't saying what the cost will be. Keep in mind, service center workers typically have no more clue than we do when it comes to things yet to be officially released. It blows me away at how good Tesla is at keeping secrets. How they can surprise so many so often with new features, new models, new option packages, new pricing, etc, etc and nobody every gets advance word of it. Key fobs apparently will be no different. Tesla Service centers will know when they're available and how much they cost when they open the box that's delivered to them. In turn, that's when we'll likely find out too.

• Helpful
Reactions: gambit48
Hopefully - "In addition to the cards".

I love the phone and my cards. They both work perfectly.

LOL. The phone works decently, but it definitely does not work perfectly.

And having to reach into your wallet and pull out a card to hold onto a reader to unlock your car is a design fail. Period.

If my phone is in my front pocket it works well. Almost perfectly. But failure rate when it’s in my back pocket goes above 50%.

Model-3 owners,

Sorry, but just want to be a wee little bit 'in your face' here, in today's modern advanced world, why do you need a fob when one carries a cellphone every time when leaving the house?
You showed the World that you are "forward thinkers", by buying a Model-3 which is full of technology that's way beyond today.
Already the Model-3 comes with a couple of card keys that can be kept flat in a wallet/purse as 'standby', just in-case your cellphone doesn't work.

Since day 1 of my Model-3 purchase, I have used my cellphone every single time to open and lock the car. Just have to walk toward it with my cellphone in the pocket & it opens. To lock, I just have to walk away for around twenty feet or so... it locks itself and gives a small beep too. Never have to fiddle with any fob or my cellphone.

So, what's the point to get a fob too for this car?

Model-3 owners,

Sorry, but just want to be a wee little bit 'in your face' here, in today's modern advanced world, why do you need a fob when one carries a cellphone every time when leaving the house?
You showed the World that you are "forward thinkers", by buying a Model-3 which is full of technology that's way beyond today.
Already the Model-3 comes with a couple of card keys that can be kept flat in a wallet/purse as 'standby', just in-case your cellphone doesn't work.

Since day 1 of my Model-3 purchase, I have used my cellphone every single time to open and lock the car. Just have to walk toward it with my cellphone in the pocket & it opens. To lock, I just have to walk away for around twenty feet or so... it locks itself and gives a small beep too. Never have to fiddle with any fob or my cellphone.

Because walking to your car and fiddling with your phone or opening the app when the car doesn't realize you are there or not connected is annoying. A fob always works.

Model-3 owners,

I honestly think its a trust thing, I have never had an issue using my phone. Occasionally if I am in a hurry and walking briskly I will get to the door and it wont open, try again a second or two later and I'm good. My guess is people want to push the button on the vob and hear an audible sound. It's actually an American thing, some of the same model cars in Europe wont beep when locking and unlocking. People just seem to need to feel more secure, maybe its all the fear mongering.

Reactions: SeanM
Because walking to your car and fiddling with your phone or opening the app when the car doesn't realize you are there or not connected is annoying. A fob always works.

There might be some connectivity issues with the cellphone, not the car. My Model-3 senses my cellphone within around 20 feet every time. Who else have experienced connectivity issues here?