Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else getting Fobs with late number VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no indication from Tesla that the announced but not yet available Model 3 fob will be included with the price of the car. Tesla has stated that they will be available for purchase.

I was referring to new car purchased going forward. I'm sure people that already own their cars will have to purchase them. But it sounds like, once they're available, they will be included as one of the key options with all new cars. When that starts? Is anyone's guess.

The whole door handle, phone key, key card situation is laughable. How do you screw up door handles and entry/exit functionality on a car? Every single time I take someone new in my car I have to explain how to use the door handles, both inside and out, and they still have a low success rate.

"Push with you thumb and pull with your fingers like a claw."
"Just push the button."
"You really have to slam it."
"Push the button and then slam the door."
"The window is supposed to go down a little."
"Use this card and place it on the B pillar right below the camera, then you can get to the trunk."
"No, you have to use the app or the screen to open the frunk."
"Hold on I'm waiting for the app to wake the car up, sorry it's raining on us."
"I don't know why it's not unlocking, let me get the card out."
"I have to open the door before it lets me unplug."

There might be some connectivity issues with the cellphone, not the car. My Model-3 senses my cellphone within around 20 feet every time. Who else have experienced connectivity issues here?
Me.

My phone has *never* worked unless I put it into airplane mode and back out while within Bluetooth range of the car.

The phone key will stay connected while I'm driving, and the walk-away lock works great. But as soon as it locks that car, the phone key disconnects and won't connect again unless I do the airplane mode dance again.

Frustrating as heck!

It's an Android phone, and there are many Android variants - it's pretty clear that Tesla is doing things in a way that works on some phones most of the time, but in my case - it's broken.

My wife's phone: same story - different brand, but also Android.

There might be some connectivity issues with the cellphone, not the car. My Model-3 senses my cellphone within around 20 feet every time. Who else have experienced connectivity issues here?

So many people have this problem, both Android and iPhone, that Tesla is coming out with a key fob. Something they specifically tried to avoid doing when designing this car. You can just do a search on this site, but the fact that they're coming out with a key fob should tell you what a miserable failure the phone as key thing is. I love the concept. I'd love not to have a key fob. But the execution has been crap.

It's not just the key fob. I'd say a good 20% of the time when I get into the car in the morning, it doesn't wake up. Screen is just black. However, I just push the lever up into R and back out of my driveway. The only problem is, the stupid remote for the garage is screen based so I then have to sit there for a minute or two until the screen turns on before I can close my garage. It's not as much of an issue when I'm outside somewhere. I'm old enough where I learned on cars without backup cameras and all this fancy tech. I use my eyeballs and rearview mirror when backing up. I can get 1/4 of a mile down the road usually before the screen finally wakes up. Since I can drive, even with the screen not on, I just live with it. Especially as it's intermittent and only happens if the car has been in deep sleep.

It's not just the key fob. I'd say a good 20% of the time when I get into the car in the morning, it doesn't wake up. Screen is just black. However, I just push the lever up into R and back out of my driveway. The only problem is, the stupid remote for the garage is screen based so I then have to sit there for a minute or two until the screen turns on before I can close my garage. It's not as much of an issue when I'm outside somewhere. I'm old enough where I learned on cars without backup cameras and all this fancy tech. I use my eyeballs and rearview mirror when backing up. I can get 1/4 of a mile down the road usually before the screen finally wakes up. Since I can drive, even with the screen not on, I just live with it. Especially as it's intermittent and only happens if the car has been in deep sleep.

I feel you on this one!! M work around.....I velcroed my garage remote to the back of my screen, right in the middle. Hidden out of sight, but I can just reach under the screen, press the button and viola!. My reason was more because auto open/close is so hit and miss and I hate having to fumble through the screen to bring it up to close the door when I leave. Or when it inadvertently works when it's not supposed to. Just a nice backup to have that's always one touch away and hidden out of sight.

Come to think of it, would be nice if they used the lower back of the screen to sneak in a few buttons for the glove box, garage door, etc...

Opening the glove box is a pain in the rear when you're just going in the car to get something out of the box. Have to wait for the car to wake up, then hit the menu and the glove box button. Pain in the rear for something that should be so simple.

Have the same issues with the phone key too. The key card as your only key is simply ridiculous.

Since day 1 of my Model-3 purchase, I have used my cellphone every single time to open and lock the car.

You are very lucky.

There are numerous multiple page threads here documenting the very common issues people have with cell phone connectivity to the car.

My personal phone, an S8, has about an 80% success rate. The other 20% of the time, I have to dig the phone out of my purse and mess with the app to get the phone recognized by the car. My husband doesn't even bother with his iPhone X and just uses the key card exclusively since that always works.

Well I for one don't use the phone-as-key because if I want to lock my phone in my car, I can't unless I want to put it into a radio proof bag or something each time. As for the keycard, although convenient in a wallet, is annoying with things like the trunk. I'd prefer a fob personally.

Model-3 owners,

Sorry, but just want to be a wee little bit 'in your face' here, in today's modern advanced world, why do you need a fob when one carries a cellphone every time when leaving the house?
You showed the World that you are "forward thinkers", by buying a Model-3 which is full of technology that's way beyond today.
Already the Model-3 comes with a couple of card keys that can be kept flat in a wallet/purse as 'standby', just in-case your cellphone doesn't work.

Since day 1 of my Model-3 purchase, I have used my cellphone every single time to open and lock the car. Just have to walk toward it with my cellphone in the pocket & it opens. To lock, I just have to walk away for around twenty feet or so... it locks itself and gives a small beep too. Never have to fiddle with any fob or my cellphone.

So, what's the point to get a fob too for this car?

I don't have my car yet so can't comment on how reliable my phone will be, but I don't want to explain to valet how to get in and out of my car every time.

Model-3 owners,

Sorry, but just want to be a wee little bit 'in your face' here, in today's modern advanced world, why do you need a fob when one carries a cellphone every time when leaving the house?
You showed the World that you are "forward thinkers", by buying a Model-3 which is full of technology that's way beyond today.
Already the Model-3 comes with a couple of card keys that can be kept flat in a wallet/purse as 'standby', just in-case your cellphone doesn't work.

Since day 1 of my Model-3 purchase, I have used my cellphone every single time to open and lock the car. Just have to walk toward it with my cellphone in the pocket & it opens. To lock, I just have to walk away for around twenty feet or so... it locks itself and gives a small beep too. Never have to fiddle with any fob or my cellphone.

#1) because the phone doesn't work reliably for everyone.
#2) because I don't want to carry a phone every time I leave the house (guess I'm not a "forward thinker")
#3) because my running clothes don't have pockets large enough for a phone, sometimes not even large enough for the key card, but they all have a pocket that a fob fits in.
#4) I want to open the frunk without fishing out my phone, opening the app, and waiting for it to connect to the car.
#5) When I'm not carrying my phone, I want to be able to unlock the car without having to hold a key card up to the car

Can we put this to rest? I am so tired of people saying no-one needs the fob, because, for them, the phone works perfectly.

LOL. The phone works decently, but it definitely does not work perfectly.

And having to reach into your wallet and pull out a card to hold onto a reader to unlock your car is a design fail. Period.

If my phone is in my front pocket it works well. Almost perfectly. But failure rate when it’s in my back pocket goes above 50%.

Correction: "YOUR" phone works decently. Mine works perfectly.

Well I for one don't use the phone-as-key because if I want to lock my phone in my car, I can't unless I want to put it into a radio proof bag or something each time. As for the keycard, although convenient in a wallet, is annoying with things like the trunk. I'd prefer a fob personally.

Simple.

Lock your phone in your car by putting your phone in airplane mode.

Last edited:
Co-Worker of mine has MDL3 and more often than not when we go out to swap parking to charge he has to pull out his phone and unlock via the app. We have noticed that if he is connected to our WIFI when he approaches the car it will not unlock but when on LTE or 3G no issues arise. Seems weird as the car uses Bluetooth to communicate with the phone but that is what we have noticed.

Model-3 owners,

Do you have stats from somewhere that says everyone carries a cell phone with them every time they leave the house? Or that everyone has a phone glued to them 24/7? Despite a large majority of people being addicted to their phones, not everyone likes carrying around a bulky phone with them every step of their day.

Key fobs are much smaller and mostly go unnoticed in your pocket. Most of today's smart phones are bulky and uncomfortable to sit with in your pocket. Most people just want simplicity and user friendliness. With so many complaints about the current key phone and key card set up with the Model 3, it's quite obvious that just those two options don't work flawlessly as they should, for everyone. Entering and exiting your car should be one of the easiest things you do, so easy that you never even give it a second thought. That's not the case with the Model 3 for a lot of people, clearly. The key fob option is GREAT for those that don't like the other two options. The best thing about it, for those that argue till their blue in the face that the key card or phone key is the best thing since sliced bread and they don't need no stinking key fob......they don't have to get one!! Just Genius!! Lookie there, Tesla offers multiple "OPTIONS" and more people are happy! Since when is that a bad thing??

Reactions: Cyclone