Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Else Have Bluetooth Issues on the Newest Model S Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
I should be more specific because there's been a few different Bluetooth issues introduced recently.

The latest update (2019.40.2.3) on both of our MCU1 Model S has a bug now where it will cause the volume on our phones (Pixel 3 on latest firmware update version) to decrease whenever we're streaming podcasts or music from the phone. You then have to locate the phone, get it in your hand and physically press the volume rocker to turn the device volume back up to 100% where it normally is allowing you to use the steering wheel controls to turn the volume up or down as needed like we've done for years.

It's guaranteed to do it at the initial connection even though it was previously at 100% and then it will also do it randomly while listening. It's triggered by message notifications, track changes and (most annoyingly) seeming by nothing at all. Just random.

I've narrowed it down to Tesla's firmware issue because I've not only replicated it with both of our phones in both cars but I can't replicate it with the same phones across various Bluetooth devices we use to stream our audio. This started about a week ago I believe and I'm pretty sure it was about the same time we upgraded both cars to 2019.40.2.3 firmware.

Reactions: cyphear
I have an iPhone XS and similar problem here, although mine is that the car turns my ringer volume down. i’ve already discussed it with a mobile service tech and they seem to be aware of the problem. Hopefully they will fix it soon in an upcoming software update!

There’s a new one today but i’m not sure if MCU1 AP1 cars are getting it. Camping mode would work no problem, but not sure about text message integration.

I have an iPhone XS and similar problem here, although mine is that the car turns my ringer volume down. i’ve already discussed it with a mobile service tech and they seem to be aware of the problem. Hopefully they will fix it soon in an upcoming software update!

There’s a new one today but i’m not sure if MCU1 AP1 cars are getting it. Camping mode would work no problem, but not sure about text message integration.

I hope they fix this sooner than later because it's super frustrating. It kind of sucks that they focus so much resources on new things features while they can't seem to keep basic functionality operating smoothly.

Reactions: alexucf
I have a model X, and a OnPlus 7 Pro phone. The phone had been connected but now it won't. I can't test to see if volume is an issue, but for a second, the phone connected, I got a text message, the car read it (with the code in the header and footer) but now it won't connect. I tried to delete the car from the phone and vise versa, no luck finding the phone. I'd sure like to know if anyone is having similar issues and what - if anything - I can do to fix it?

I have version 2019.40.50.1 by the way.

Original Model X with MCU1 on latest firmware with Pixel 4 on latest firmware and experiencing the same problem.

When switching between music, the Bluetooth volume drops to about 10% then goes back up to 60% .

Starting with my Bluetooth volume at 100%, I did some testing, and here is what I have found:

1) The "Disable absolute volume" setting in the Pixel's Developer options doesn't seem to have any impact, problems are the same with it turned on or off (turned on/off Bluetooth each time I changed it to make sure the change took).

2) In the Google Play Music app , volume goes 100% --> 10% --> 60% when using Back/Forward to switch tracks. However, if you click on a song in your playlist, it doesn't do the volume change.

3) In the YouTube Music app, it doesn't do volume change when switching tracks.

4) Phone calls are unaffected, they will stay at 100% volume.

This is extremely frustrating. I'm will be switching the YouTube Music app for now, but not looking forward to rebuilding my playlists. Tesla please fix!

Last edited:
I’ve had the blue tooth fail to unlock twice this week and then one day after I got in it it popped up saying it needed my key card to drive. Moving my phone seemed to make that go away. I’ve never seen that message before after already being in the car. This is with an iPhone 8 and a AWD model 3.

I haven’t typically had issues besides just after the iOS 13 release.

I’ve rebooted both my phone and the car.

I have the same issue. Reported to Tesla on 12/20 via email. They responded with try rebooting the cars computer. It didn't work.

I tried turning off absolute volume via developer controls on my Pixel 3 XL. No joy.

I originally thought it was my Android since it also just recently updated. So I tried on my iPad and iPhone, same "automatic" volume adjustment over Bluetooth resulting in hearing basically nothing with the car volume set to 8-9.

The annoyance is most pronounced when listening to spoken word tracks like podcasts or audiobooks, especially during track change.

I just don't connect my Bluetooth now and blast the phone on speaker, hopefully they will fix in the next update.

I have a 2015 Model S and a Pixel 4. Same issues with lack of volume control, even after the most recent update was installed today by the mobile service team today 1/15/19. This is unbelievably frustrating as it drops the volume to 10% anytime it senses a very short lull in audio. This happens when playing podcasts on Spotify (have to do it via the phone because there's no podcast option in the car app) and the podcasts transition to their own ads. It also happens between tracks sometimes when listening to music via the Google Play music app. I also tried changing the absolute volume control Bluetooth settings on the phone to no avail.

Extremely frustrating with no end in sight.

Update - I also received a Pixel update today. I changed the absolute volume control settings before installing that update and restarting the phone, and now it works again without issue. Now I don't know if it was the Tesla update or the Google Pixel update since both occurred in the same day, but I'm happy regardless!

I have a 2015 Model S and a Pixel 4 XL. Same issues with lack of volume control, even after the most recent update was installed today by the mobile service team today 1/15/19. This is unbelievably frustrating as it drops the volume to 10% anytime it senses a very short lull in audio. This happens when playing podcasts on Spotify (have to do it via the phone because there's no podcast option in the car app) and the podcasts transition to their own ads. It also happens between tracks sometimes when listening to music via the Google Play music app. I also tried changing the absolute volume control Bluetooth settings on the phone to no avail.

Extremely frustrating with no end in sight.

I have a pixel 4 and this issue! Mcu1 car on 2019.40.1. I've tried everything with the phone.

You say you got it to work... Which was is the absolute volume control set? On/off after latest updates?

I got the Jan Pixel update today, but no luck.

Update - I also received a Pixel update today. I changed the absolute volume control settings before installing that update and restarting the phone, and now it works again without issue. Now I don't know if it was the Tesla update or the Google Pixel update since both occurred in the same day, but I'm happy regardless!

Last edited:
Just an update to say that it's not phone dependent as my wife and I recently traded out our Pixel 3's for Samsung Galaxy S10e phones and this bug persists even on the new devices. Sounds like others have experienced it on iPhones and pretty much every other form of phone too so I don't believe the solution is an Android update unless Google has figured out a way to fix Tesla's bug which I firmly believe this is.

Fixed!!

Ok knowing it was not my phone and that at least one person got a fix I did this to get mine working;

1)Tell the car and phone to forget each other in Bluetooth.

2)Set the absolute volume toggle in developers options on.

3) reboot phone and car.

4) re pair.

I fixed it last night and it worked great again today. Hopefully it sticks.

Fixed!!

Ok knowing it was not my phone and that at least one person got a fix I did this to get mine working;

1)Tell the car and phone to forget each other in Bluetooth.

2)Set the absolute volume toggle in developers options on.

3) reboot phone and car.

4) re pair.

I fixed it last night and it worked great again today. Hopefully it sticks.
I've tried pairing/unpairing/forgetting numerous times with no luck. I haven't yet messed with the absolute volume in between though so I'll try exactly as you've described.

Any negatives yet? I'm afraid maybe my Bluetooth headphones will start up at 100% volume next time I connect them and blow out my eardrums. I usually listen to those at about 50% and keep the Tesla streams at 100% since I control volume via car controls.

I spoke to soon....

Yes I had a "negative" - Oddly on day 2 (a few drives later) my media components would not respond at all. I could not switch from Phone Audio to streaming, FM or TuneIn. The buttons "pressed" on the screen, but nothing happened. When I played from my phone it sounded like one speaker. Never had anything like this before. I rebooted the car, no love. I by chance made a phone call. AFTER the phone call it started working again. So it was like it was stuck or something? I had called Tesla they recommend the full reboot (power off from MCU, sit in car 2 min thing).

And, the problem with audio volume going down is back again.... sigh. The louder I want it, the more it lowers it.

I've tried pairing/unpairing/forgetting numerous times with no luck. I haven't yet messed with the absolute volume in between though so I'll try exactly as you've described.

Any negatives yet? I'm afraid maybe my Bluetooth headphones will start up at 100% volume next time I connect them and blow out my eardrums. I usually listen to those at about 50% and keep the Tesla streams at 100% since I control volume via car controls.

Thought I was going crazy, experiencing the same issue for the last month or so. I've also tried all the pairing/unpairing, absolute volume disable, checking apps one by one. Definitely a Tesla issue. I don't have problems with my other car, friend's car, or headphones. Killing me.

I'm going to the service center on Friday (Jan. 31, 2020) for a brake fluid flush. Going to ask them about this. Hopefully they'll have something of value to tell me. I think this is the most annoying issue I've had with my Model S (2015). If they do know about it (which it sounds like they do), they'll fix it -- the sooner the better.

By the way, this doesn't seem to happen with my wife's iPhone XR (iOS 13.3)

Specs:
Phone -- Google Pixel 3a (Android 10)
Vehicle -- 2015 Model S 85D (2019.40.2.3)

Reactions: CaliMS
So I had one of the techs at the service center said that this is an issue on the firmware side, specifically with Pixel phones (although others in this thread have said otherwise). He did say that Tesla is aware of the issue and working on a firmware fix - no details on a release date. Fingers crossed it will be fixed soon.

So I had one of the techs at the service center said that this is an issue on the firmware side, specifically with Pixel phones (although others in this thread have said otherwise). He did say that Tesla is aware of the issue and working on a firmware fix - no details on a release date. Fingers crossed it will be fixed soon.
He's wrong because both devices have "firmware" and the behavior is displayed on more than just Pixel devices. The only thing this proves further is just how inept the "experts" are that we're asked to lean on whenever we have problems.

Tesla customer service is the worst.

He was referring to the firmware on the car.......
So? He's still wrong because it's NOT a Pixel issue. Also, saying it's "on the firmware side" is also a lot of trying to make it sound like you know what you're talking about when you're actually saying nothing. Both devices have "firmware" so saying it's "on the firmware side" is pointless and further proves how many inept "experts" Tesla has working for them.

Summary: Tesla customer service is the worst.