Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have delivery delay due to Tesla not being able to produce temporary tags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supposed to pick up my Tesla Model Y at the Lyndhurst, Ohio location today. As I like in Kentucky, I had booked a flight and hotel room ahead of time (flight to get there and hotel on the way back home). I get a call yesterday late in the day telling me they can't deliver any vehicles today or this weekend because they can't issue temporary tags right now. They are saying it may not be until mid-next week until the issue is resolved.

To say I am upset over this would be an understatement (mainly because they wait until the last minute to tell me about it and because there's no valid reason it should take that long to resolve the problem).

I was curious if others have experienced this or know what the actual problem is.

It is likely the DMV that is causing delays. Dealers have to get the temporary tag from them. Typically, a dealer cannot issue temporary tags, at least in the various states I've lived in.
Actually, dealerships can print tags online via the Ohio DMV website. I'm not sure that is how Tesla is doing it though. In any event, I think they should have been aware of the problem before yesterday. That's also true if they ran out of the materials to print them. My car has been sitting there for almost a week and they should have set a tag aside for it by now.

Luckily, they *say* they will reimburse my flight, but just a bad experience all around especially since I don't have a vehicle now for another week (until I can make it there next Friday).

I was supposed to pick up my Tesla Model Y at the Lyndhurst, Ohio location today. As I like in Kentucky, I had booked a flight and hotel room ahead of time (flight to get there and hotel on the way back home). I get a call yesterday late in the day telling me they can't deliver any vehicles today or this weekend because they can't issue temporary tags right now. They are saying it may not be until mid-next week until the issue is resolved.

To say I am upset over this would be an understatement (mainly because they wait until the last minute to tell me about it and because there's no valid reason it should take that long to resolve the problem).

I was curious if others have experienced this or know what the actual problem is.

That really sucks, sorry to hear that. I dont have anything to offer here except for empathy for your situation.