Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have issues with their 2021 refresh Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I'm in a tough spot and could use some advice. I had a 2018 Model 3 Performance and now a 2021 Model S (refresh) Long Range. I really, really like the Tesla. I love the technology, the performance, etc., but is everyone else also having problems with their vehicles or do I just have the worst of luck?

My Model 3 Performance had constant electrical issues, from the steering wheel refusing to adjust properly, to the navigation, lane departure, etc. all just dying one day, to even once the whole car died / bricked during a software update and had to be towed in. Soft resets, hard resets, I went through it all, and the last time I brought it in for service Tesla sat on it for two weeks and said they can't find anything wrong with the car so they reset the battery and hopefully the issues won't happen again. Long story short, I filed a lemon law claim and won.

When it came time to turn the lemon Model 3 in, I bit the bullet and bought a brand new 2021 Model S (refresh) long range. At $106k with tax it was nauseatingly expensive, and easily the most expensive car that I ever bought. Then on my way home from picking up the car I tried to turn on the air conditioning (I live in Florida) and it wouldn't work. Instead, I got a warning that said "cabin climate control system requires service - cabin heating / cooling limited or unavailable." Of course, the first service appointment I could get was three weeks later, but to make matters worse on day three of ownership I get a warning that says "safety restraint system fault - service is required." Then on day eleven I get a warning "steering assist reduced - steering may require increased effort." Add to that the first time I charged the car I discovered that the motor on the charging door won't close properly, and I have barely had the car for three weeks!

So, here comes the question. Am I just really, really unlucky, or do many of you have these kinds of problems? When I get rid of this Model S do I bother buying another one, or do I get something like the Porsche Taycan? Any advice / stories of similar experiences would be welcome.

• Informative
Reactions: Irvine
Definitely in the same boat. I have a 2022 Plaid that I won't drive if I'm going more than 10 miles bc I'm afraid it will just stop working. Every error code flashes on the drivers screen and shows all the same errors as you at once. Then it won't let many functions like lane keep assist, etc to work. The service center pushed the current update again and the problem is still there. I posted about this yesterday. This is my first Tesla and I would've returned it already if I didn't take it straight in for Xpel and ceramic coating. I feel Tesla worries more about meeting quarterly quotas than the quality of their products. If these errors stopped I'd LOVE the car.

My Teslas have been just the opposite! A 2018 Model 3 Long Range and a refreshed Model S long Range and neither has had and problems that weren't with my intelligence. After I decided to read the WHOLE manual the problems I thought I had were gone. This is surely NOT the cure for what Jordanko mentioned!

My first thought about OP issues is I’m surprised they got a 2021 model S with such low production numbers and filing a lemon law lawsuit. Tesla holds grudges and I’m surprised their order didn’t get pushed until 2023 after Elon gets out of “production hell”

Has anyone found a real solution to the “wind whistle” that occurs around the driver side window?? Well documented on others youtube reviews but haven’t found a solution yet. It becomes apparent at 70+ MPH and is super annoying! I have already had my entire door seal replaced but it still occurs. I am wondering now whether the driver side mirror is creating the sound…there are small gaps around the top assembly (where the mirror pivots) that I suppose could cause the noise.

Reactions: Pcuz
I’ve had issues with my Teslas too. I also had a 2018 Model 3 Performance and just got a Model S LR this past Saturday.

My Model 3 had one major issue- about a year after purchase it had multiple errors and was essentially un-drivable due to a power steering module that failed. I had to get it towed to a service center.

Two days ago, on day 2 of owning my Model S LR, I had another list of errors and my automatic emergency braking, brake hold, regenerative braking, adaptive suspension, and traction control were disabled. I made it home, but when I got back in the car a few minutes later, the errors were gone. Hoping it’s a software issue, but I made a service appointment anyway.

A number of people have reported similar issues with the refresh Model S (LR and Plaid). It does seem (anecdotally based on what others are saying) to be tied to some kind of common issue (maybe a bad ground connection) and Tesla does know how to resolve.
On the new Plaid and LR, I have already encountered similar manifestations - due to problems with microsd cards (for GW) in the MCU - in 5 cases out of 12 inspected machines, while in 2 of them the card was not installed. Tesla uses 8 GB, it's better to put 32 or 64 - everything works fine

Definitely in the same boat. I have a 2022 Plaid that I won't drive if I'm going more than 10 miles bc I'm afraid it will just stop working. Every error code flashes on the drivers screen and shows all the same errors as you at once. Then it won't let many functions like lane keep assist, etc to work. The service center pushed the current update again and the problem is still there. I posted about this yesterday. This is my first Tesla and I would've returned it already if I didn't take it straight in for Xpel and ceramic coating. I feel Tesla worries more about meeting quarterly quotas than the quality of their products. If these errors stopped I'd LOVE the car.
I had a very similar issue for the first time two nights ago. Went to jump in the car, and all sorts of alarms: adaptive steering, traction control, regen braking, stability control etc. I did a few two button reboots and even powered off the car completely for 30 min. No luck. Then magically 2 hours later all the errors went away. this is VERY concerning and makes it hard to drive anywhere without being a bit scared the car will just die.

Reactions: kingkondo
On the new Plaid and LR, I have already encountered similar manifestations - due to problems with microsd cards (for GW) in the MCU - in 5 cases out of 12 inspected machines, while in 2 of them the card was not installed. Tesla uses 8 GB, it's better to put 32 or 64 - everything works fine
First I've read about this...is the card easily accessible? We aren't talking about the Sentry USB are we?

First I've read about this...is the card easily accessible? We aren't talking about the Sentry USB are we?
Of course no )
It is necessary to remove the inner trim of the right front sill, the right side trim of the center console, bend the carpet on the passenger side and remove the protective plastic trim at the passenger's feet. There is a mcu, it has 2 slots - for sim and microsd

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and JediJD
In the photo I indicate the SIM slot, the microsd is to the right

photo1642773207.jpeg

Attachments

• photo1642773159.jpeg
    photo1642773159.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: aerodyne and JediJD
Hi everyone. I'm in a tough spot and could use some advice. I had a 2018 Model 3 Performance and now a 2021 Model S (refresh) Long Range. I really, really like the Tesla. I love the technology, the performance, etc., but is everyone else also having problems with their vehicles or do I just have the worst of luck?

My Model 3 Performance had constant electrical issues, from the steering wheel refusing to adjust properly, to the navigation, lane departure, etc. all just dying one day, to even once the whole car died / bricked during a software update and had to be towed in. Soft resets, hard resets, I went through it all, and the last time I brought it in for service Tesla sat on it for two weeks and said they can't find anything wrong with the car so they reset the battery and hopefully the issues won't happen again. Long story short, I filed a lemon law claim and won.

When it came time to turn the lemon Model 3 in, I bit the bullet and bought a brand new 2021 Model S (refresh) long range. At $106k with tax it was nauseatingly expensive, and easily the most expensive car that I ever bought. Then on my way home from picking up the car I tried to turn on the air conditioning (I live in Florida) and it wouldn't work. Instead, I got a warning that said "cabin climate control system requires service - cabin heating / cooling limited or unavailable." Of course, the first service appointment I could get was three weeks later, but to make matters worse on day three of ownership I get a warning that says "safety restraint system fault - service is required." Then on day eleven I get a warning "steering assist reduced - steering may require increased effort." Add to that the first time I charged the car I discovered that the motor on the charging door won't close properly, and I have barely had the car for three weeks!

So, here comes the question. Am I just really, really unlucky, or do many of you have these kinds of problems? When I get rid of this Model S do I bother buying another one, or do I get something like the Porsche Taycan? Any advice / stories of similar experiences would be welcome.

I'm having similar problems with my 2021 Model S Plaid. The safety restraint system fault is one. The navigationbl marker drifts far away while I'm driving and show me flying through neighborhood streets when I'm actually on the highway. My front passenger door doesn't close easily. And I have a really loud clicking noise when turning the wheel at low speeds.

This is my 5th Tesla. My others were all fine. This is my first model S and I'm really surprised at how many problems there are in such a short time.

:(

My Teslas have been just the opposite! A 2018 Model 3 Long Range and a refreshed Model S long Range and neither has had and problems that weren't with my intelligence. After I decided to read the WHOLE manual the problems I thought I had were gone. This is surely NOT the cure for what Jordanko mentioned!
Big John, how do you like S compared to the 3?

Has anyone found a real solution to the “wind whistle” that occurs around the driver side window?? Well documented on others youtube reviews but haven’t found a solution yet. It becomes apparent at 70+ MPH and is super annoying! I have already had my entire door seal replaced but it still occurs. I am wondering now whether the driver side mirror is creating the sound…there are small gaps around the top assembly (where the mirror pivots) that I suppose could cause the noise.
The issue is not the seal. Its how the glass meets the seal. You basically have to open the door panel, loosen the 10mm bolt that holds the glass to the regulator, then slide the glass back and fourth until is perfectly even on the rubber seal when the door is closed. So open door, move glass slightly forward or back, close door slowly, make sure the rubber meets the glass evenly on both sides, open door again, tighten, close, and done.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
The issue is not the seal. Its how the glass meets the seal. You basically have to open the door panel, loosen the 10mm bolt that holds the glass to the regulator, then slide the glass back and fourth until is perfectly even on the rubber seal when the door is closed. So open door, move glass slightly forward or back, close door slowly, make sure the rubber meets the glass evenly on both sides, open door again, tighten, close, and done.
This is exactly right; the angle of my driver’s window was off and mobile service corrected. However, there can also be an issue with the small triangular glass where it meets door seal. Above 70 mph I have wind noise and determined the bottom front edge of glass does not seal against door gasket. If I push the rubber on inside into that corner it changes the noise. So I’m trying to figure out how to adjust. I know some have replaces the triangular window.

Reactions: Irvine