Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have issues with their 2021 refresh Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, sorry you've had all those issues. I've been lucky with our two Teslas, no big issues whatsoever. This one is persistent but I wouldn't call it "big" (yet). But if I were in your shoes, yeah, I get it.

Nameless went into the shop Friday afternoon for the airbag issue, and they gave me Uber credits with an estimate of being done Monday. Well, yesterday (Monday) after 5pm when it was scheduled to be done, they say "After attempting to diagnose, the root issue is still unknown at this time and has been escalated to a senior engineer to resolve,"

And that's where we stand. Sigh.

Nameless went into the shop Friday afternoon for the airbag issue, and they gave me Uber credits with an estimate of being done Monday. Well, yesterday (Monday) after 5pm when it was scheduled to be done, they say "After attempting to diagnose, the root issue is still unknown at this time and has been escalated to a senior engineer to resolve,"

And that's where we stand. Sigh.
I am set up for a visit on 12/20. Tesla says they have no idea what is causing the "passenger airbag fault" but I can make it happen and go away with simple foot pressure / movement in the upper left section of the drivers side footwell. So annoying that you have to avoid any foot movement / pressure to avoid it

Reactions: zoomer0056
I am set up for a visit on 12/20. Tesla says they have no idea what is causing the "passenger airbag fault" but I can make it happen and go away with simple foot pressure / movement in the upper left section of the drivers side footwell. So annoying that you have to avoid any foot movement / pressure to avoid it
After 2 unsuccessful attempts, now they said that they have to fully replace the Airbag Harness behind the front dash. I was supposed to drop off the car this past Saturday and so I asked if they have the part in their possession and how long would it take. Turns out the part is ordered and not yet delivered…well..then why would you ask me to drop my car off and have it sit on your lot? Tesla is running a *sugar* show for Customer Service..nobody to talk to live..wait for hours and sometimes days to get a response to chat. Horrible.

It has gotten worse in the year since I took delivery. I'm inclined to give them a pass for one issue if it gives them trouble, but I have a good friend who wouldn't touch anything with Tesla's quality/service situation. I mean, they're intertwined and interdependent. If quality goes on walkabout and service can efficiently handle the extra load, it's close to acceptable. When both go on walkabout is when there's real trouble.

After 2 unsuccessful attempts, now they said that they have to fully replace the Airbag Harness behind the front dash. I was supposed to drop off the car this past Saturday and so I asked if they have the part in their possession and how long would it take. Turns out the part is ordered and not yet delivered…well..then why would you ask me to drop my car off and have it sit on your lot? Tesla is running a *sugar* show for Customer Service..nobody to talk to live..wait for hours and sometimes days to get a response to chat. Horrible.
Seems so odd that Tesla would have to replace an entire wiring harness. You can press your left foot on the carpet / floorboard and cause the error and press randomly around and make it go away. Really seems like a simple loose connection. But like others I have had it in for this twice and scheduled for a 3rd so whatever it takes…🤷🏻‍♂️

So, summary: Nameless went into Service on Friday Dec. 2nd for an airbag error (3rd time in for the airbag issue). Original estimated completion was Monday the 5th at 5pm.

It wasn't done, I was informed "the root issue is still unknown at this time and has been escalated to a senior engineer to resolve." No updated completion date at that time.

Yesterday (the 7th) I asked for an update, and they said they had multiple techs out due to illness. Car was not touched all day.

Just now (Thursday Dec 8th) I noticed the estimated completion date is now saying December 14th (!!!!!!!!!!) at 9:30am. I haven't asked, but I interpret that to mean they're expecting required parts in that morning and it would be quick to install them.

Sigh.

Man lot of unlucky people on here. I’m in San Diego. No issues besides a rattle in the rear passenger headrest. Fixed with a couple of inches of weather striping.

My wife’s model X had falcon wing issues after 3 times they replaced the top glass and all is perfect..

Maybe it’s me but here in San Diego I’ve had zero issues with the service. All SA and techs have been great.. they answer almost immediately when I message through app.

I’ve had BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari I can say the worst experience have been through BMW hands down..

So, summary: Nameless went into Service on Friday Dec. 2nd for an airbag error (3rd time in for the airbag issue). Original estimated completion was Monday the 5th at 5pm.

It wasn't done, I was informed "the root issue is still unknown at this time and has been escalated to a senior engineer to resolve." No updated completion date at that time.

Yesterday (the 7th) I asked for an update, and they said they had multiple techs out due to illness. Car was not touched all day.

Just now (Thursday Dec 8th) I noticed the estimated completion date is now saying December 14th (!!!!!!!!!!) at 9:30am. I haven't asked, but I interpret that to mean they're expecting required parts in that morning and it would be quick to install them.

Sigh.
Please keep us updated. My 2021 refresh S is scheduled for the same (3rd time) error and I will certainly use any information you have as reference to help.

Thank YOU Izolman

OK, I've got Nameless back. The delay seems to have been a combination of the two best techs both being out sick for the past several days, and the fact that after they reset the fault they could not reproduce the issue.

Final diagnosis was a "poor ground connection" and they said they've now corrected it.

We'll see!

This issue reminds me of the issue I had with the rear right door opening by itself. The SC "inspected" it and could not repro or find an issue (when they were addressing the other 8 issues I found after delivery). The next week mobile tech came out to fix some of the stuff they did not complete at the SC, and looked at the door again, since it opened itself again. They also could not find any issues. Told me to log a service request when it happens. They would look at the logs??

At this point I decided to inspect myself. First thing I did was try open the door with the emergency cord, since I figured it may be too tight. The carpeting had not been broken through yet (odd that a safety release is hidden!!). When I opened the carpet, guess what!, the tag at tend end of the cord was stuck between the carpet and the metal, keeping the cord tense. After I fixed that it never happened again.

For something as dangerous as a door opening by itself you would think they would do a more thorough inspection!

OK, I've got Nameless back. The delay seems to have been a combination of the two best techs both being out sick for the past several days, and the fact that after they reset the fault they could not reproduce the issue.

Final diagnosis was a "poor ground connection" and they said they've now corrected it.

We'll see!
Wow seems so simple in the end. Please post invoice / details once you have nameless back 🙏🏻

Reactions: Mark II
That's all I was able to get out of them in terms of information! All warranty work so no invoice.

This is just speculation based on some things that were said, but I think the first two times I brought it in with the error code, they probably could not reproduce it then either but didn't say anything to me, they just reset the error. Knowing this was the third time, though, they probably worked a little harder to brainstorm it and someone came up with the ground fault theory. I just hope they found something actually loose and tightened it.

Last edited:
This issue reminds me of the issue I had with the rear right door opening by itself. The SC "inspected" it and could not repro or find an issue (when they were addressing the other 8 issues I found after delivery). The next week mobile tech came out to fix some of the stuff they did not complete at the SC, and looked at the door again, since it opened itself again. They also could not find any issues. Told me to log a service request when it happens. They would look at the logs??

At this point I decided to inspect myself. First thing I did was try open the door with the emergency cord, since I figured it may be too tight. The carpeting had not been broken through yet (odd that a safety release is hidden!!). When I opened the carpet, guess what!, the tag at tend end of the cord was stuck between the carpet and the metal, keeping the cord tense. After I fixed that it never happened again.

For something as dangerous as a door opening by itself you would think they would do a more thorough inspection!
Another similar kind of thing, but it wasn't a Tesla: I leased an '18 WRX and there was this incessant rattle/ticking noise coming from behind the dash. I had it in for service twice for the issue and they could not find anything wrong. After getting it back the second time with no action taken, I popped the hood and just visually inspected the area between the turbo intake and the firewall...and there was a 2-inch twig sticking out of the back of the air intake. I plucked it out and no more noise. Yeesh.

Reactions: Mark II
That's all I was able to get out of them in terms of information! All warranty work so no invoice.

This is just speculation based on some things that were said, but I think the first two times I brought it in with the error code, they probably could not reproduce it then either but didn't say anything to me, they just reset the error. Knowing this was the third time, though, they probably worked a little harder to brainstorm it and someone came up with the ground fault theory. I just hope they found something actually loose and tightened it.
At least on my ‘21 S you can simply move your foot pressure around in the floorboard area and cause the error. Likewise similar pressure will stop it.

Definitely sounds like a loose wire / connector / ground. So annoying that you have to keep your left foot tucked up close to the seat to keep from causing it.

Gets kinda lame on my 1+ hour each way commutes.

taking my S in tomorrow morning for the airbag fault. Do you mind sharing your SC location and if you know the name of a Service Advisor that my center could message with? Looks like my SC is going in for exploratory surgery 🤦‍♂️

IMG_6592.jpeg

FYI, dropped my vehicle off at the Dedham SC on Saturday. They said they have all the parts (I had them confirm before I dropped the car off). Expected completion is Tuesday evening. This is the 3rd attempt and they are changing the entire harness. I will update this thread once I have the vehicle back.

Reactions: boonedocks
My SC is Peabody. No contact names I can give you, I wasn't directly in communication with the techs. The service rep I talked to just brought up my page and read stuff to me from it.
Sounds like they have a handle on your issue, and it's not the same as mine, as AFAIK nothing was actually replaced. But I'm not sure they gave me all the info they actually had on the issue. As long as the warning doesn't return, honestly, I don't care.