Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have persistent cabin camera issues with 10.69.3.1 at night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 MYP and ever since installing the 10.69.3.1 update I seem to not be able to use FSDb for any distance at night (day time this issue doesn’t exist). The behavior when it happens is:

1. Screeching “take over immediately” alert

2. Once I take over, there’s a yellow bubble message that says “disengaged due to system error”

3. Immediately after that I get a blue bubble message that says “cabin camera blocked or obstructed”

I’ve tried cleaning the camera lens, taking off my hat I always where, driving on less dark of roads, nothing seems to help, except:

If I drive with the overhead cabin lights on, I’ll get a bit more distance (3-4mi vs 1-2mi) before it disengages, which ain’t much, but it is noticeably longer.

What’s interesting, is that every time it does that three step dance above, as long as I wait 10sec, it’ll immediately let me re-engaged FSDb again (only to then start the process over again).

Is this a known issue? Something I should consult service about? Any workarounds anyone knows of?

Similar difficulties with FSD at night being discussed on this thread

I have also had issues ever since joining beta back in June 2022. I even get kicked out of good old highway Autopilot for the same errors. My workaround has been to switch to a user profile that has FSD Beta toggled off, but i worry this workaround will disappear once legacy Highway AP/NOA is replaced with single stack AP/FSD.

Might try creating a service ticket for the issue.

I recently got FSD beta installed and I get kicked out at night for the same reasons.. i never got kicked out of standard autopilot. I am on 2022.44.25.5. Wondering whats going on

Apologies for not updating this thread, but my issue is two fold:

1. My cabin camera does NOT have IR illuminators, despite my car being built 6 months after that supposedly became standard (how the f$&@ does that happen!?!? ugh Tesla!)

2. My cabin camera sensor itself is defective as well. Using the Zoom app is like using a pinhole camera from the previous century.

It took a lot of back and forth with the SA team including having a mobile tech come out and basically try to b/s me that my EZ pass (for tolls) was the cause, but thankfully parts are ordered and they are supposed to return on 12/30 with new replacement parts to resolve the issue.

See attached photo from a test Zoom call. Given my garage lights are on, both overhead lights, AND I have the vanity mirror light pointed at me, it’s flabbergasting that this is the best the sensor can do. Maybe my experience in sensors, optics, and computer vision has me biased, but like I can’t fathom how something this bad could leave the factory floor. Without the overhead lights AND the vanity mirror both, nothing identifiable as me is visible in the view.

My suggestion, do your homework, record everything in detail with photos and videos, and don’t take any b/s they try to feed you.

Attachments

• E333D94B-45AD-477A-82ED-D06CE99BE7A2.jpeg
    E333D94B-45AD-477A-82ED-D06CE99BE7A2.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 187
Apologies for not updating this thread, but my issue is two fold:

1. My cabin camera does NOT have IR illuminators, despite my car being built 6 months after that supposedly became standard (how the f$&@ does that happen!?!? ugh Tesla!)

2. My cabin camera sensor itself is defective as well. Using the Zoom app is like using a pinhole camera from the previous century.

It took a lot of back and forth with the SA team including having a mobile tech come out and basically try to b/s me that my EZ pass (for tolls) was the cause, but thankfully parts are ordered and they are supposed to return on 12/30 with new replacement parts to resolve the issue.

See attached photo from a test Zoom call. Given my garage lights are on, both overhead lights, AND I have the vanity mirror light pointed at me, it’s flabbergasting that this is the best the sensor can do. Maybe my experience in sensors, optics, and computer vision has me biased, but like I can’t fathom how something this bad could leave the factory floor. Without the overhead lights AND the vanity mirror both, nothing identifiable as me is visible in the view.

My suggestion, do your homework, record everything in detail with photos and videos, and don’t take any b/s they try to feed you.
Interesting... Are we supposed to see the cabin with IR at night? When I try to view my cabin during sentry mode at night I see nothing but pitch black. My car was build in May 22.

CUpdate. Fought with the TS and forced them to replaced the cabin camera setup. They wanted to charge me. I said fine. If it doesn’t fix the problem I will pay and they said if it does fix it they will pay. Well, it fixed it. I can now use FSD/autopilot at night now. Also, I recommend not bringing up autopilot/FSD night driving issue with them. Tesla has tech bulletin that says it is a firmware issue and they are working on it…..for months.

I recommend complaining you can’t see the interior of the car in the dark via sentry mode. If your car has IR, it will work, if not, then you can’t see anything.

Here are my before and after photos of viewing the interior cabin via the app.

And here is the part they replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_4317.png
    IMG_4317.png
    516.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5687.png
    IMG_5687.png
    575.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5689.jpeg
    IMG_5689.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 52