Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have this bulge/gap where the rear skid plate meets the battery cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

porad

Apr 15, 2023
SC
This picture is looking rearward on a 2023 LR AWD toward the back right wheel. I noticed that where the rear skid plate mates to the battery cover, there’s a bulge/gap in the exact same spot on both sides of the car where the skid plate isn’t flush with the battery cover. It almost looks like there’s a clip that needs to be pushed further in to make it flush, but I tried that with no luck (also didn’t want to force it).

My only concern is that these gaps face the front of the car and could act as scoops for water or debris. I know earlier builds had similar issues.

Anyone else have this? Is this a defect or by design?

Attachments

• 53B77C6A-AEE2-4A9C-9564-5DD6A32090CC.jpeg
    53B77C6A-AEE2-4A9C-9564-5DD6A32090CC.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 298
Thank you. Now that I know it’s supposed to be snapped in, I’ll try again and push it more firmly.
I would make sure it's a clip though and not a bolt.
The parts catalog and a removal guide for the old version shows that as a M6 bolt (1484170-00-A), although it's possible where the bolt threads in is what popped out.
Parts Catalog
DIY - Removal of the Rear Diffuser for spring change or cleaning or extra drain holes

Also if it's a clip that's like the ones used for the front aero shield, you may have to pull out the center circle first to be able to push the clip into the hole, then push the center circle back in. Trying to push it in with the center portion already pushed in does not work because the sides of the clip would already be expanded and wouldn't fit in the hole properly. The clips are designed to be pushed into the hole with the center out, then center is pushed in to lock the clip into place.

Here's a picture of the clips 1128034-00-B for the front aero shield in unlocked position:
25112_o-Z_1400x.jpg

There is another type 1006521-00-A used in the wheel arch liners (again in unlocked position):
s-l500.png

Reactions: DocHolliday
I would make sure it's a clip though and not a bolt.
The parts catalog and a removal guide for the old version shows that as a M6 bolt (1484170-00-A), although it's possible where the bolt threads in is what popped out.
Parts Catalog
DIY - Removal of the Rear Diffuser for spring change or cleaning or extra drain holes

Also if it's a clip that's like the ones used for the front aero shield, you may have to pull out the center circle first to be able to push the clip into the hole, then push the center circle back in. Trying to push it in with the center portion already pushed in does not work because the sides of the clip would already be expanded and wouldn't fit in the hole properly. The clips are designed to be pushed into the hole with the center out, then center is pushed in to lock the clip into place.

Here's a picture of the clips 1128034-00-B for the front aero shield in unlocked position:
25112_o-Z_1400x.jpg

There is another type 1006521-00-A used in the wheel arch liners (again in unlocked position):
s-l500.png
Really appreciate the thoughtful response! It seems to be a third type of clip that’s integrated into the skid plate itself. In other words, it’s not simply threaded through a whole in the plastic, but rather it seems to a part of the car-facing side of the skid plate.

Update: I’m now good to go. Using a fair amount of pressure in a really awkward position (it’s hard to generate much leverage when you have 5.5 inches of ground clearance to work with), I was able to snap both clips into place. Appreciate all the helpful replies!

we should not be doing this in the first place. Tesla quality still sucks, when I got my 2018 X it have tons of issues with rattling, still have it, noise never went completely away, THERE is no better vehicle on the market what tesla offers,... with charging network, tech, speed, and price for the 0-60 and range.

we should not be doing this in the first place. Tesla quality still sucks, when I got my 2018 X it have tons of issues with rattling, still have it, noise never went completely away, THERE is no better vehicle on the market what tesla offers,... with charging network, tech, speed, and price for the 0-60 and range.
Poor workmanship... hmm, the SpaceX rocket blew up this morning 4 minutes after liftoff. Maybe EM borrowed some Tesla workers. 😂