Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having Auto Piliot issues? (Swerving during lane changes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Mid Range M3 // Delivered New on 02/15/2019 // First occurance 02-2019 - latest occurance 08-2019

While Navigating on Auto Piliot (NOA) my model 3 swerves during lane changes periodically. I have taken it to the SC for this and other issues and have not had it fixed or even aknowledged as a problem with a possible solution besides being told "keep timestamps of when it happens, A software update will fix it." the car will begin a lane change and get 1 to 3 wheels into the adjacent lane before swerving back to the original lane. This happens between 1 and 3 times per single lane change. There will be no obsticle to avoid because there wil be light to no traffic and nothing in the adjacent lane to explain the rappid movement back to the original lane.

Has anyone else seen or experienced this?

Yup, it happens sometimes. The only time I've noticed this is when the lanes are merging/unmerging (one lane becomes 2 lanes, 2 lanes become 1 lane) and it's in the middle of a lane change. It freaks out because the lane gets really big (because it sees the 2 lanes as one 'jumbo' lane when the lines go away) and seems to not know what it's doing...

Yet another thing that hopefully will get fixed as we march on...

I've had it happen two times so far. It seems like its when it gets nervous during a lane change and tries to go back into the lane then over corrects.

The funny thing is that this has only happened to me while I had other people in the car. Gives them a great impression of the car. . .

2018 Mid Range M3 // Delivered New on 02/15/2019 // First occurance 02-2019 - latest occurance 08-2019

While Navigating on Auto Piliot (NOA) my model 3 swerves during lane changes periodically. I have taken it to the SC for this and other issues and have not had it fixed or even aknowledged as a problem with a possible solution besides being told "keep timestamps of when it happens, A software update will fix it." the car will begin a lane change and get 1 to 3 wheels into the adjacent lane before swerving back to the original lane. This happens between 1 and 3 times per single lane change. There will be no obsticle to avoid because there wil be light to no traffic and nothing in the adjacent lane to explain the rappid movement back to the original lane.

Has anyone else seen or experienced this?
Used to see it a lot more often. I can't recall the last time I saw it but I feel like maybe once in the last month? Does the "lane change aborted" or something message come up on your screen?

I've had a few aborted lane changes with 2019.28.3.1 during a road trip. Maybe 10% of attempted lane changes. One seemed to be due to an adjacent truck two lanes over. One with no apparent reason and no nearby cars. One that was in traffic and could have had reason I didn't see.

While it is disconcerting, and I wouldn't want to do it in front of the Highway Patrol, new firmware should make it more surefooted. Still early for this feature.

Used to see it a lot more often. I can't recall the last time I saw it but I feel like maybe once in the last month? Does the "lane change aborted" or something message come up on your screen?

I don't get a message of any kind. The car just attempts to change lanes, fails and attempts again. It happens like every other week. I don't use autopilot to often

Yup, it happens sometimes. The only time I've noticed this is when the lanes are merging/unmerging (one lane becomes 2 lanes, 2 lanes become 1 lane) and it's in the middle of a lane change. It freaks out because the lane gets really big (because it sees the 2 lanes as one 'jumbo' lane when the lines go away) and seems to not know what it's doing...

Yet another thing that hopefully will get fixed as we march on...
I would be OK with that and accept it as a learning curve. I'm talking about driving on an open freeway and the car swerving 1 or 3 times before it decides its OK to change lanes. 2 or 3 wheels will be in the adjacent lane then the car goes back to its original lane.

I would be OK with that and accept it as a learning curve. I'm talking about driving on an open freeway and the car swerving 1 or 3 times before it decides its OK to change lanes. 2 or 3 wheels will be in the adjacent lane then the car goes back to its original lane.

Definitely take a video. That sort of thing happening multiple times in a row on an open freeway with no onramps/offramps or other complexity is definitely unexpected.

I assume you are using NoA with you commanding lane changes (no completely auto lane change - I can't remember all the exact option names)? Or is this NoA with Unconfirmed Lane Change? Some details on configuration would be good.

2019. 28.3.1, has been an issue since the week I got the car and it's continued.

If this is really that bad, your cameras may need to be calibrated. It's rare, but not unheard of. I would make a service appointment, and they may find your cameras are a bit off.

Definitely take a video. That sort of thing happening multiple times in a row on an open freeway with no onramps/offramps or other complexity is definitely unexpected.

I assume you are using NoA with you commanding lane changes (no completely auto lane change - I can't remember all the exact option names)? Or is this NoA with Unconfirmed Lane Change? Some details on configuration would be good.

If this is really that bad, your cameras may need to be calibrated. It's rare, but not unheard of. I would make a service appointment, and they may find your cameras are a bit off.

I have had a lot of recording issues so it has made it very dificult to catch the swerves in action. i have managed to save some of the more subtle swerving occurrences. the really bad ones i was unable to record.