Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having consistent app connection issues now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overly last few days (almost since .7 upgrade) the Android app often won't connect to the car. Resetting car lets it connect once or twice, then stops again. Logging in and out of app does nothing.

Get "Vehicle Connection Error"

I'll have to log an issue with them if it continues. But wasn't sure if I was mostly alone.

its kind of too bad that we can only 'get in' via cellular, and if the path from your phone to the public net, to tesla, then from them to your car - if any of that is not up at the moment, you're hosed.

much better to have a 2nd way in, like local wifi. then we could at least *get to* the car, via rf, even if the whole WAN network stuff is not fully up.

there are security issues in that, but it can be made safe with some extra effort.

its kind of too bad that we can only 'get in' via cellular, and if the path from your phone to the public net, to tesla, then from them to your car - if any of that is not up at the moment, you're hosed.

much better to have a 2nd way in, like local wifi. then we could at least *get to* the car, via rf, even if the whole WAN network stuff is not fully up.

there are security issues in that, but it can be made safe with some extra effort.

The car unlocks via Bluetooth. Beyond that, if I’m close enough I’d rather just open the car and adjust whatever needs to be adjusted instead of opening up more potential security issues.

wifi can be secure; and its far more reliable than bluetooth, I'll tell you that much.

having wifi as a way in would be useful and I hope they consider it for a future release. as an option, you could choose if you want to allow the car to authenticate via wifi. in fact, I'd suggest that, so you can have more control over the rf protocols being used in the car.

I've found it very inconsistent, and I think it's related to our poor cell phone coverage here at home. If the car is elsewhere, the connection is much more reliable.

I've also concluded that many of these ideas, such as rebooting, re-pairing, switching off/on wifi, etc, don't make any difference. It's just that when we try one of those and it then happens to work, we are fooled into believing what we did fixed it. That is, correlation is not causation.