TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone else having consistent app connection issues now?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by ttdanimal, Jan 6, 2020.

1. ttdanimal

ttdanimal Member

Overly last few days (almost since .7 upgrade) the Android app often won't connect to the car. Resetting car lets it connect once or twice, then stops again. Logging in and out of app does nothing.

Get "Vehicle Connection Error"

I'll have to log an issue with them if it continues. But wasn't sure if I was mostly alone.

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Likely a temporary server side issue. I’m also getting vehicle connection error in the app right now.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

This happened several times this summer. It was always a server issue on Tesla’s side.

4. ttdanimal

ttdanimal Member

After 48 hours of problems, last 24 been okay. So hopefully fixed and you all right.

It's annoying to not be able connect in the dead of winter. Almost had door frozen shut other day and couldn't heat up car!

5. Wnuk

Wnuk Member

Been hit or miss the last few days for me.

6. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I had problems today when it was connected to home WiFi. I powered down my WiFi access point and the car was then instantly fine.

no idea what that means. Other stuff in the house worked fine.

7. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

its kind of too bad that we can only 'get in' via cellular, and if the path from your phone to the public net, to tesla, then from them to your car - if any of that is not up at the moment, you're hosed.

much better to have a 2nd way in, like local wifi. then we could at least *get to* the car, via rf, even if the whole WAN network stuff is not fully up.

there are security issues in that, but it can be made safe with some extra effort.

8. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

The car unlocks via Bluetooth. Beyond that, if I’m close enough I’d rather just open the car and adjust whatever needs to be adjusted instead of opening up more potential security issues.

9. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

wifi can be secure; and its far more reliable than bluetooth, I'll tell you that much.

having wifi as a way in would be useful and I hope they consider it for a future release. as an option, you could choose if you want to allow the car to authenticate via wifi. in fact, I'd suggest that, so you can have more control over the rf protocols being used in the car.

10. jrweiss98020

jrweiss98020 Tessa's Tesla

It's gotten better for me with 50.7. After 40.something, I had to unpair and re-pair the phone to get it to work occasionally. After 50.1 and another re-pair, it was wroking MOST of the time, and after 50.7 it's working better.

11. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

I've found it very inconsistent, and I think it's related to our poor cell phone coverage here at home. If the car is elsewhere, the connection is much more reliable.

I've also concluded that many of these ideas, such as rebooting, re-pairing, switching off/on wifi, etc, don't make any difference. It's just that when we try one of those and it then happens to work, we are fooled into believing what we did fixed it. That is, correlation is not causation.