Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having "Loading Error" with Slacker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a ton of recent posts about this, but I have a 2016 MS 75 and I've have the 'loading error' problem for quite some time. For most podcasts in TuneIn, I can follow the normal steps of just reloading or switching back and forth the next episode and eventually it works fine (I see this with StarTalk and Talking Tesla pretty often). However, for a couple podcasts (e.g., Stuff You Should Know and TechStuff) there is literally NOTHING I can do to get them to play anymore.

I've tried all the suggestions (rebooting both screens, flipping through ALL the episodes, removing them from my favorites, using the 'search' bar, switching to the radio & slacker and back, using WiFi, refreshing over and over, etc...) I even called Tesla support about this issue and they said there was probably just something going on with that particular podcast(s). Its been going on for over two months now and every now and then (like tonight) I'll sit in my car for 5-10 minutes trying to get them to play again with no luck. Perhaps these podcasts were removed from TuneIn?

Tesla also suggested that I call TuneIn to open a case with them, but I feel like this is a lost cause. I used to listen to both of these podcasts on a daily basis until this happened. Any ideas? I was going to try the suggestion from DoYouEvenTrap to perform a full factory reset, but I don't want to go through the hassle of reprogramming all my custom settings if this isn't going to do a damn thing.

Not a huge deal, but would love to get this fixed eventually...

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you've done all the right things ... my car is in the body shop so I can't check those shows to see if I have the problem, perhaps someone else will

We experienced Loading Errors while on our recent trip down CA-101 to Santa Ynez Valley area. Some of the time we were kind of way out nowhere or driving near mountains so figured that was the reason. Sometimes when we've had this error we could get the switch from Slacker to TuneIn and back to work, other times not. Next time we go for a longer trip will think to bring along a playlist on our phone or USB drive for those in-between times. Will say that we've had the car since March and listen to Slacker all the time and really hadn't noticed this to be a problem until recently.

I had the loading error a hundred times driving Southbound from Jackson, Wyoming today.

What is the hard reset mentioned here? What else does it reset? What settings are lost?

Also, isn't the car supposed to cache some of the audio? I tried the favorites but no luck.

Has anyone else noticed that if you try the radio in this case and then select the "next" button from the steering wheel you get the frozen streaming loading instead of the next radio station? Does Tesla have any testers in or simulating rural areas? Doesn't appear so.

I really wish the glass roof had the XM radio option in cases like this. I haven't figured out the play over USB thing yet.

That's why I have my music on flash drive instead.
I can't go 3 miles without a "loading Error" on Slacker AND USB as well. I paid over 100 grand for this car and I don't think it's too much to ask to have a freaking radio that works. Rebooting doesn't help one bit. I have already contacted Tech support and they have no idea what's wrong.

Question: Is this issue happening on NEW Teslas or just us OG's?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Same here; I've switched to USB music after getting fed up with "Loading Error" on Slacker.

Then in the last month I've started seeing "Loading Error" for USB music. WTF?
Ever since one of the last 2 or 3 software updates I've been getting frequent USB Loading Errors, so many that USB is basically now unusable e.g. often can't get through a whole album, although exact timing is random, and a song that fails one time will playback fine another. Didn't get them on USB before. Have tested multiple USB flash drives of various sizes and brands, with different collections of music - same problem. Meanwhile I do get the occasional Slacker loading error and was happening long before USB problems, perhaps since day 1, but relatively infrequently and so not a bother unlike USB.

I can't go 3 miles without a "loading Error" on Slacker AND USB as well. I paid over 100 grand for this car and I don't think it's too much to ask to have a freaking radio that works. Rebooting doesn't help one bit. I am bringing it into for Service soon and hopefully it will be addressed at that time.

UPDATE: I just dropped off the car at the Service Center and the Service Advisor said the solution to the Slacker and USB loading error problem, is to not use them until Tesla can find a fix. I wish I were kidding but that's it. :(

last few days it's been almost continuous Slacker loading errors for me, while on LTE. several other threads people are reporting same. seems to work fine if connected on wifi in the garage however.

and yeah still getting lots of USB loading errors too (for past several months / since past few software updates) After further testing of various different USB flash sticks and different sets of files I notice the media player seems to sometimes barf on random .m4a AAC files (used to work perfectly fine under previous software versions). And no, rebooting the screen doesn't fix the loading errors (either kind, slacker or usb).

UPDATE: I just dropped off the car at the Service Center and the Service Advisor said the solution to the Slacker and USB loading error problem, is to not use them until Tesla can find a fix. I wish I were kidding but that's it. :(

well at least they're not denying the problem... let's hope they fix it soon

Reactions: bareyb
I've found loading error with only some songs on USB. I haven't investigated further.

Yes, "Loading Error" also happens when Slacker doesn't get its needed bandwidth too. And seems to have increased in that last few software 'upgrades'. I don't recall seeing the USB problem AT ALL last year (and sadly it is the exact same USB drive in the car, no changes - I just haven't updated the song set on it) so it must be something they screwed up with a newer software.

It seems to have gotten better in the past day. Given the widespread nature of the problem reports, my feeling (and professional opinion) is that it is a problem with the Slacker (Streaming) app and AT&T LTE network. I think someone changed something in the most recent release - probably trying to optimize bandwidth. I don't think reboots will help much.
I am not seeing Loading Error now, but now seeing Song Artwork not keeping up with the current song. It sometimes shows images from previous songs or no image at all. The image on the dash screen is sometime different than what is showing on the center screen.

Reactions: bareyb
It seems to have gotten better in the past day. Given the widespread nature of the problem reports, my feeling (and professional opinion) is that it is a problem with the Slacker (Streaming) app and AT&T LTE network. I think someone changed something in the most recent release - probably trying to optimize bandwidth. I don't think reboots will help much.
I am not seeing Loading Error now, but now seeing Song Artwork not keeping up with the current song. It sometimes shows images from previous songs or no image at all. The image on the dash screen is sometime different than what is showing on the center screen.

Odd. Same here, Softwizard. I got my car back from Tesla yesterday, and so far it hasn't done it once since I got it back. They told me they didn't do anything, but they did update my software... so, after reading your post, I am cautiously optimistic. :)

I'm sure now that I've stated this publicly, it will start happening more than ever, but for now, for whatever reason, It has not had a Loading Error in two days. That NEVER happens. Normally, it happens constantly.

Odd. Same here, Softwizard. I got my car back from Tesla yesterday, and so far it hasn't done it once since I got it back. They told me they didn't do anything, but they did update my software... so, after reading your post, I am cautiously optimistic. :)

I'm sure now that I've stated this publicly, it will start happening more than ever, but for now, for whatever reason, It has not had a Loading Error in two days. That NEVER happens. Normally, it happens constantly.

Lol. Yep. Had several in a row in the first mile after posting the update. It's not fixed. At all... :(

I still cannot listen to What You Missed in History Class. Constant Loading Error. No change with recent update at service center or OTA update two days ago. Called Tesla awhile back, they acknowledged the problem but had no timeline for a fix.