Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having screens blanking out since V9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Listings
At least 3 times since V9 the screen behind the steering wheel first shows the side avatar of the MX and then goes blank, then the center screen goes out. Have to do a scroll wheel reboot to get them back. Has not happened until the V9 update? Just checking with anyone else?

Yeah. Had something similar happen to me for the first time last night that sounds like this issue- Had the dash display go dark on me first, the center display stayed on. Never happened before like that. They always went dark/rebooted in tandem. I rebooted via the usual method.

Now, my wife is telling me she heard loud buzzing sounds from the audio system that she couldn't identify. Might be the same thing these folks are reporting --> Strange sound after V9 Update

42.2 with MCU2.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
I was having that issue on 42.2 with MCU2. I had a previous service appointment already set up and mentioned it while I was there. They checked into it when I gave them a timestamp for it. They said it was an issue with my car running slightly older firmware. They gave me an update to 42.3 and I haven't seen it since.

I'm unclear if 42.3 fixed it or if there's some additional firmware update that they have to do at the service center.

But the way I was fixing it when it was happening is you scroll wheel reboot, wait a bit until it would have come back normally, then reboot again. That seems to fix it until it happens again.

(Specific symptoms were the car on the CID would appear like it was parked, even while driving. It'd then crash a few seconds later. MCU would freeze but display an image. Rebooting would cause the CID to come back for a moment, but the MCU wouldn't come back until a second reboot is performed.)

I just had something like this happen.

I was driving along and the temperature display in front of me went to "--.-". Then about 5 seconds later the entire driver display went black. The center display stayed up, but the moving map quit updating position and changing orientation when I went around a corner. This went on for several miles.

I was wondering if it was a power problem so shutdown the front seat heaters. Immediate the driver display came to life and the navigation on the center display updated the position and orientation. We left the seat heaters off and the displays functioned properly the remainder of the trip, which was about 3 minutes longer.

I am not sure if this was a power problem or just that I interacted with the center display. I added it to my list of things for Tesla to look at my service appointment next month.

2018 X75, MCU 2.

Yeah. Twice I’ve taken the car out. Twice had it happen within 15 minutes of starting the trip.

Both times the center console stays on but I lose th instrument cluster. I then do a scroll wheel reset (next time I will try just the buttons above the scroll wheels) and then it comes back after restarting the center console.

I’m on 42.2 with an MCU2.

On the way into work last week today I had my IC just shut down all together while I was traveling 70MPH on the interstate. Kind of scary. It came back online after about 3 minutes. Running 42.2

AP was still driving the car, but I disengaged to take control of the car while the IC was off. The center main screen remained on and tracking just fine during all this.

Yes. It happened once, on 10-31-18 with my MX on a road trip running 42.2. I haven't received any updates, still on 42.2. I pulled over at the first exit several miles from when my display went black. Did a full reboot, and it hasn't happened since.

I had this problem with 42.2 but I also noticed the IC would say ‘Power Off’ as well before blacking out. I updated to 42.3 and it was ok for the few days before I dropped it off at the service center. Checking on the App it says it’s ready for 42.4. The Service center on drop off said the screens blacking out could be due to the car being in the middle of a update download even though I did not initiate it. The car has been in the SC for since last Monday.

On 42.2.

Yesterday, while driving on a highway at 65 MPH under NOAP, the dashboard display changed from AP showing the adjacent lanes to just showing our car (like when the car is parked). Then the dashboard displayed blacked out and didn't come back. The console display was still showing navigation - but wasn't updating - so I tried rebooting dashboard & console while the car was moving. Both displays stayed black for a much longer time than normal during a reboot - and when they did come back, we didn't get the LTE data service for minutes afterward.

After that, everything worked fine for the remaining 280+ miles of our drive.

On 42.2.

Yesterday, while driving on a highway at 65 MPH under NOAP, the dashboard display changed from AP showing the adjacent lanes to just showing our car (like when the car is parked). Then the dashboard displayed blacked out and didn't come back. The console display was still showing navigation - but wasn't updating - so I tried rebooting dashboard & console while the car was moving. Both displays stayed black for a much longer time than normal during a reboot - and when they did come back, we didn't get the LTE data service for minutes afterward.

After that, everything worked fine for the remaining 280+ miles of our drive.

42.3 seems to fix that. I haven’t seen that issue since the service center pushed the update.

As far as LTE not coming back for several minutes after a reboot, that seems par for the course. I don’t recall observing different behavior when rebooting our 3 or old MCU1 S.

Just yesterday, had a issue but think i determined the cause.

Took the fiance to get her hair done (5 hours of waiting for her to finish) i made a few trips to the car to listen to music etc. About 30-45 mins before i anticipated her to be done, i used the app to start preheating the car, it was really cold out.
After about 15 minutes i returned to the car and saw an Alert id never seen:
Warning touchscreen unresponsive please do a reset.
Which i did.. but the message stayed, and the touchscreen was indeed non responsive it showed everything but wasnt touch activated.
I reset a total of 3 times the 3rd reset i also used the brake pedal. Which ultimatly fixed it. That being said, upon testing the screen when it unresponsive i noticed it was fairly hot. And by the time i had finished the resets it had cooled.

Leads me to think this was caused by the heater
I still plan to occasionally preheat my car, but will monitor it much more closely.

Update, spoke to the SC today, they confirmed multiple reports of this issue since V9. Someone on here mentioned buzzing from the audio, I hear it several times today listening to FM.....most likely the same thing

Yes! I have been having the same issue (and another weird one) with my 2018 Model X. I have been corresponding with Tesla on this. Here are my symptoms from the email I sent:

• Intermittent loud “buzz” from audio system (I think only when on radio, not streaming). Couple times a day. Sometimes the buzz is sustained and results in further issues (see last bullet).
  • Intermittent periods where voice control doesn’t work… as if microphone is not picking up my voice… then will work when I try it again later.
  • Some time on November 18th in the afternoon: Tried Arati games. 17” screen locked up as the game was loading. No buttons would work. After 30 seconds or so, the front passenger door and rear hatch both opened on their own simultaneously. I re-booted (held scroll wheels down) and when the 17” screen came back, I was able to close the passenger door and hatch.
  • Around 5:30 to 6:00 PM on November 14th while driving, sustained loud buzz from the audio. Center dash flipped to “car off” mode (no speedo; side view of car) and said “Car is Off”. Tapping brakes did nothing. Then the center dash went dark, but 17” screen stayed on. I was still able to drive but no audio, no LTE and no GPS (map arrow not moving). Center dash came back on after a few minutes and GPS, LTE, audio etc. came back. Happened again at approximately 7:50 AM on November 15th and again at 8:32 AM today (November 20th). On November 20th (today) I sent a “bug report” via the voice control system.