Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Else Having Spotify Playlist and Playback Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone checked to see if the Spotify music player playing the same few songs over and over again when listening to a playlist in random order is fixed? I'm still waiting for the 2020.20 update.
I'm now on 2020.20.12 as of yesterday but I haven't driven the car since the update was installed. However, when I was on the prior version, 2020.20.5, the random setting was still not working as expected.

One thing I noticed was that turning random off and then back on again would kind of reset the randomness. Sometimes it would randomize a lot more songs or it would only randomize a few. It was like the random function was only selecting a subset of the songs in the playlist and then just randomizing those. It also seemed like it got progressively worse after each time I parked and turned the car off. The next time I got in the car the amount of songs being randomly selected got fewer and fewer. I haven't performed any specific tests of this. Just an observation.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I just received the 2020.24 update and sadly the Spotify music player is still broken, as it keeps playing the same songs over and over again :( If anyone else would like to also see the Spotify music player fixed, can you please contact Tesla Support and Spotify Support and let them know of this issue?

The issue is when you listen to a Spotify playlist in random order, it just plays the same few songs over and over even if the playlist has hundreds of songs.

You can contact Tesla support with this link: Tesla SSO – Login
Just select Vehicle and App features and software and firmware to report the problem.

The way to contact Spotify Support is to initiate a chat session. Ask the person you talk with to ESCALATE the matter and perhaps say that you signed up for Spotify just so you can listen to music in your Tesla and that the music player is broken. You can perhaps also include a link for this thread so they know other people are also affected and can also see all the details of the issue.

Support - Spotify

I hope one day the music player is fixed! :D

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I'm now on 2020.20.12 as of yesterday but I haven't driven the car since the update was installed. However, when I was on the prior version, 2020.20.5, the random setting was still not working as expected.

One thing I noticed was that turning random off and then back on again would kind of reset the randomness. Sometimes it would randomize a lot more songs or it would only randomize a few. It was like the random function was only selecting a subset of the songs in the playlist and then just randomizing those. It also seemed like it got progressively worse after each time I parked and turned the car off. The next time I got in the car the amount of songs being randomly selected got fewer and fewer. I haven't performed any specific tests of this. Just an observation.

You bring up a good point. When the Spotify Music Player plays the same songs over and over again, you can press the random button a couple of times and it adds a few additional songs to the mix. After a few more songs are played, the music player then again reverts back to playing the same few songs though :(

Anyone who would like to see the Spotfy music player fixed, please contact Tesla support with the link posted above.

• Disagree
2017 S with the MCU2 upgrade. I have intermittent issues updating Spotify where the in-car app does not immediately load changes I've made to my playlists from other devices. It generally resolves itself in 24 hours.

A workaround is to use the phone app to drive the car app, that is I am using my iPhone to tell Spotify in the car to play a specific song (NOT streaming Spotify from my iPhone → Car via bluetooth).

• Helpful
2017 S with the MCU2 upgrade. I have intermittent issues updating Spotify where the in-car app does not immediately load changes I've made to my playlists from other devices. It generally resolves itself in 24 hours.

A workaround is to use the phone app to drive the car app, that is I am using my iPhone to tell Spotify in the car to play a specific song (NOT streaming Spotify from my iPhone → Car via bluetooth).

Even if you select a specific song, the issue here is that the car app actually picks the next song to play. I listen to all my playlists in random order so the problem is when a playlist is in random order,m the Spotify app in the car keeps selecting the same few songs to play over and over again. It's almost like it has already cached a few songs and it prefers to keep playing those cached songs rather than play the entire playlist as it should.

I guess if I truly get the phone to play the music with Bluetooth it will but but I just can't get myself to using Bluetooth to further compress and degrade the audio quality of an audio stream that is already greatly compressed...

I have about 250 GB of uncompressed high quality music in a USB drive and this is my primary music source. The Tesla USB music player has a well known bug that has been around for 2+ years where it does not resume USB audio when you get back in the car. So for I signed up for a Spotify subscription, spent a month+ recreating my music libraries and playlists only to find out that the Spotify music player is even more broken than the USB music player :D:p:rolleyes:

I feel like I've already accepted the music quality being degraded by one level and would really like to avoid Bluetooth compression reducing the quality any further.

I'm starting to wonder if anyone in the Tesla development team listens to music given how obvious and significant the bugs are with the USB and Spotify music players :po_O

• Disagree
I mean Tesla rolled out some kind of fix for Tune In so it’s definitely something they can fix. Not sure what the hold up is.

I was happy when they made some fixes to Tune In but sadly the USB music not resuming bug after the car has been asleep is still there. The Spotify music player is just about unusable for me because if I play a playlist in random order (the only way I listen to music), it keeps playing the same few songs over and over again.

I just received the 2020.24.6.4 update and will report back if the Spotify music player is fixed.

Anyone else contacted Tesla about the Spotify music player not working?

I just received the latest update 2020.24.6.4 and I’m noticing Spotify is working much better. When my car wakes up Spotify will load my music much faster than before. I used to have to wait about 6 minutes after waking the car up to load my music. Now within 30 seconds or so which is a vast improvement. Hopefully it continues working this good.

I just received the latest update 2020.24.6.4 and I’m noticing Spotify is working much better. When my car wakes up Spotify will load my music much faster than before. I used to have to wait about 6 minutes after waking the car up to load my music. Now within 30 seconds or so which is a vast improvement. Hopefully it continues working this good.

Have you tried playing a Spotify playlist in random?

The Spotify music player still keeps playing the same handful of songs over and over again when playing a playlist in random :(

Just installed the latest update. The Spotify music player is still broken :(

The only way I listen to my Spotify playlists is in random order so I don't hear the same songs in the same order but when listening to a playlist in random order, it plays the same few songs over and over again.

So I'm stuck between the USB music player that does not resume music when I get in the car and the Spotify music player that keeps playing the same handful of songs over and over again.

*sigh* for all the software updates and features they add, just wish they would fix the music player.

It's like they'd work on anything but fixing the music player!

I'm starting to wonder if anyone in the Tesla development team listens to music given how obvious and significant the bugs are with the USB and Spotify music players
Yeah it makes no sense that if Elon allegedly still drives a Model-S that he can hop in the car and think Spotify or USB media controls work acceptably for a luxury flagship model. The media player on another car in our garage (a 20K Japanese car) works better, is stable and has more features than the Model-S and also has the option for CarPlay/AA if you desire as well :oops:

Yeah it makes no sense that if Elon allegedly still drives a Model-S that he can hop in the car and think Spotify or USB media controls work acceptably for a luxury flagship model. The media player on another car in our garage (a 20K Japanese car) works better, is stable and has more features than the Model-S and also has the option for CarPlay/AA if you desire as well :oops:

I can't imagine how any executive at Tesla could put up with such broken music player that I feel they don't use Spotify or the USB audio player, which has now been broken with well known bugs for years.

Yet, we receive software updates where they make improvements to random games so it's not like they don;t have development resources.

We used to own a 2008 Mercedes that had a 240GB iPod connected to it with all of my lossless music. The music would resume flawlessly every single time I got in the car. I don't understand why resuming USB audio when you get in the car is such a hard problem to solve. It just plain sucks if you were listening to an audio book to go back and find where you were last at while driving the car.

Do they not realize how awful it is to not have a functioning music player in a car that is as advanced as the Model S?

They can likely fix the music player issues in about a week if they just spend some time to track down some of the more significant bugs like the Spotify music player playing the same handful of songs over and over again if you listen to a playlist in random order. Then there is the Spotify load error where it just gives up playing music altogether or keeps playing the same song and you have to switch to another music source and return to Spotify to resume music but then you have to go back and find what you were listening to earlier.

The music player should be the one car app that just works.

Then there is the Spotify load error where it just gives up playing music altogether
As you probably know other countries had Spotify long before the US got it, it has never been stable, never! The 'Loading Error' or spinning circle of nothingness has plagued it ever since I've had my car (a 2017 model). There was one 'update' that if you selected Spotify at least 50% of the time it would lock up the MCU and cause it to self reboot, how does that even get past software QA?

I can't help but feel the Spotify (and USB controls) of the software are held together with rubber bands and sticky tape ready to break at any moment and Tesla knows this which is why they won't go near it.

I believe this is why most manufacturers have moved to AA or CarPlay support now, it takes the burden off them for making things like streaming services and USB players work.

• Informative
How many songs in your playlist play before it repeats? I just did two 3-hour drives, using the MCU2 upgrade, and it's not repeating. Can you duplicate by skipping to the next track?

Just wondering if there is something different about my playlists or something.

How many songs in your playlist play before it repeats? I just did two 3-hour drives, using the MCU2 upgrade, and it's not repeating. Can you duplicate by skipping to the next track?

Did you listen to the playlist in random order?

It's when you listen to a playlist in random order that it plays the same handful of songs over and over again.

I only listen to playlists in random order, sort of making my own radio station, and I like not knowing what song is next.

This should be so easy for them to fix.

fwiw in my case I also DON'T have any problem shuffling a long playlist without repeating just a handful of songs. (MCU1, 2020.24.6.11) The playlists I listed to most often are the ones Spotify automatically generates for me (Daily Mix 1,2,3..., Discover Weekly, etc), I think most of those tracks are about 50 songs long. I can listen for >1hr without unexpected repeat (haven't had a chance to do any long 3hr drives lately however)

So like many other music player bugs, there seems to be variability of bugs/symptoms across users. OTOH until one of the previous couple software updates, Spotify would every day/several times a day suddenly stall and refuse to play again until switching audio sources to something else and back to Spotify. But lately that problem is gone and Spotify seems much more stable; still occasionally stalls (loading error?) but not every day, and will now usually resume by selecting any Spotify playlist without having to switch to another audio source like before. --knocks on wood--

ps I have no doubt others are having these or other shuffle problems with Spotify, but like the USB music player bugs after all these years I have zero confidence that Tesla has any interest or ability to fix the many longstanding music player problems. Pity, because as others keep saying, it *should* be simple to fix. zit's such a basic feature that you should be able to rely upon without the contortions everyone has to endure, just to enjoy music while driving.

fwiw in my case I also DON'T have any problem shuffling a long playlist without repeating just a handful of songs. (MCU1, 2020.24.6.11) The playlists I listed to most often are the ones Spotify automatically generates for me (Daily Mix 1,2,3..., Discover Weekly, etc), I think most of those tracks are about 50 songs long. I can listen for >1hr without unexpected repeat (haven't had a chance to do any long 3hr drives lately however)

So like many other music player bugs, there seems to be variability of bugs/symptoms across users. OTOH until one of the previous couple software updates, Spotify would every day/several times a day suddenly stall and refuse to play again until switching audio sources to something else and back to Spotify. But lately that problem is gone and Spotify seems much more stable; still occasionally stalls (loading error?) but not every day, and will now usually resume by selecting any Spotify playlist without having to switch to another audio source like before. --knocks on wood--

ps I have no doubt others are having these or other shuffle problems with Spotify, but like the USB music player bugs after all these years I have zero confidence that Tesla has any interest or ability to fix the many longstanding music player problems. Pity, because as others keep saying, it *should* be simple to fix. zit's such a basic feature that you should be able to rely upon without the contortions everyone has to endure, just to enjoy music while driving.

Try a custom playlist you created in random with over 50 songs. You'll be hearing the same 5 songs over and over and over again :(

Try a custom playlist you created in random with over 50 songs. You'll be hearing the same 5 songs over and over and over again :(
well that still doesn't seem to be the case at least in my car...

a couple questions:
- Would the “Liked Songs” playlist behave the way you say?
- does your problem still happen if you FFWD / skip songs. i.e. can you replicate the problem (repeating songs) if you FFWD/skip through the playlist? not just listen to entire songs

in my case, as I said I usually listen to those auto-generated playlists I mentiond. But I also have the "Liked Songs" playlist where I manually added songs on my iPhone or desktop app, tagging with the 'heart' icon. I have about 1400 songs in this playlist - I created it as a rough replacement for the flakey USB player, though it only contains maybe 20% of the tracks I have on USB.

This playlist shows up in the Tesla as "Songs" in the main menu area of Spotify. In past when shuffle-playing this Liked Songs playlist in the car, I've never noticed songs repeating after just a handful of songs. They always seem to shuffle as expected.

also, if you can replicate your repeating-songs problem even when FFWD'ing/skipping songs, then again my experience is different than yours. I just tested my Liked Song playlist - I didn't have time at the moment for a longer drive, so while parked in my garage I listened to the Songs playlist in shuffle mode, and every few-to-5seconds I clicked on the FFWD button on the steering wheel. Doing this, just now I successfully played over 60 different (portions of) songs in this manner without a single repeat.

I suppose I can manually create another >50song playlist and further test it out on an actual drive in the coming days, but that's what I've observed so far. Curious whether your problem still occurs when skipping quickly through a playlist in this manner - if so, my car definitely behaves differently