Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having to reprogram their side mirrors constantly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My side mirrors keep losing their memorized position. This is even when I only had one profile. Having 2 profiles now did not fix it either as switching between the 2 profiles does not return the mirrors to their original position.

I have managed to reproduce the problem and took a video of it and set up some markers to demonstrate that the position is lost. But I am curious if anyone else is having this issue. I found another thread for the Model 3 where someone was experiencing a similar issue and it ended up being a software update that fixed it. Tesla tech that I spoke with over the phone has never heard of something like this happening. Will schedule a mobile service appointment again for them to try to fix this but the tech I spoke with is making me worried they won't be able to fix it.

Reactions: beachmiles
Try the following:
  • While in park adjust the mirrors to correct position.
  • Go into reverse and then back into drive/park several times over and over.
  • Back into park
  • Are the mirrors still aligned?

If mirrors moved,
  • while in park adjust the mirrors again
  • disable the auto tilt the mirrors while in reverse setting
  • repeat that test of switching between reverse and drive/park and see. They should not move now, stay fixed.

I was having the same issue a while back and it was the mirrors adjusting when I switched into reverse and they did not return to the same position after a few iterations of this, accumulating loss over time. I thought it was fixed in later software version but I never checked to confirm, just kept that option disabled.

Reactions: beachmiles
I felt I had this issue with my Model 3 a while back and turned off auto tilting on reverse which seemed to help.
I had a hunch that it was related to moving the mirrors in the end ranges which would mess up the positioning calibration. Are you particularly tall/short?
Model Y I haven’t noticed the issue but I have auto tilt off now.

My left side mirror vibrates above 60mph though…

I have the same issues:

Took delivery of my MY a few weeks ago. I notice that my side mirrors need to be re-adjusted ever couple of days as they tend to slowly pitch down over time. Anyone have the same issue? This is kind of annoying as you continuously have to re-adjust them and re-save the configuration.

Furthermore, when driving at higher speeds (i.e. 60+mph), the driver side mirror tends to shake a bit. Thoughts?

Try the following:
  • While in park adjust the mirrors to correct position.
  • Go into reverse and then back into drive/park several times over and over.
  • Back into park
  • Are the mirrors still aligned?

If mirrors moved,
  • while in park adjust the mirrors again
  • disable the auto tilt the mirrors while in reverse setting
  • repeat that test of switching between reverse and drive/park and see. They should not move now, stay fixed.

I was having the same issue a while back and it was the mirrors adjusting when I switched into reverse and they did not return to the same position after a few iterations of this, accumulating loss over time. I thought it was fixed in later software version but I never checked to confirm, just kept that option disabled.

So I couldn't replicate it by changing from drive to reverse and vice versa. But I was able to replicate it by changing to my wife's profile and then my profile. But this is not normally how the problem is created because we just created her profile a few days ago and it's been happening well before that. But it just goes to show that somehow the position isn't saved correctly.
Here is a video of what is happening.

I felt I had this issue with my Model 3 a while back and turned off auto tilting on reverse which seemed to help.
I had a hunch that it was related to moving the mirrors in the end ranges which would mess up the positioning calibration. Are you particularly tall/short?
Model Y I haven’t noticed the issue but I have auto tilt off now.

My left side mirror vibrates above 60mph though…

No, I am average height and the mirror isn't adjusted to the end of the ranges either.

I have the same issues:

Took delivery of my MY a few weeks ago. I notice that my side mirrors need to be re-adjusted ever couple of days as they tend to slowly pitch down over time. Anyone have the same issue? This is kind of annoying as you continuously have to re-adjust them and re-save the configuration.

Furthermore, when driving at higher speeds (i.e. 60+mph), the driver side mirror tends to shake a bit. Thoughts?

I haven't noticed the mirror shaking though I haven't paid attention to that. But my mirrors move down and to the outside. Both of them. I'm actually glad that you are seeing a similar problem. Maybe you can call yours in as well? I made a video in the link above and was lucky enough to replicate the problem.

Apparently they calibrate like the Windows do. Center the mirror then in any order you want, go full up and hold it for a few seconds, then full down and hold it, back to center and do it again full left and full right. Do that for both mirrors. Worked for me.

My passenger side mirror does this, real annoying

also my navigation volume goes down to low after the car sleeps, even after I changed and manually save it.

ALSO I have a custom horn, anytime the car goes to sleep it reverts to a Tesla default horn

ALSO ALSO when my car sleeps unplugged, I get in the car OK but the screen takes like 20+ seconds to turn on - mobile service didn’t know what was up, and when I did the service chat they said that a USB error occurred cause I have a 3rd party USB

I unplugged any usb and it did the same thing

wtf Tesla

Mine would do the same thing over time when I had auto-tilt in reverse enabled. After disabling that, I haven't had my mirrors drift out of alignment.

Well I had an appointment scheduled for tomorrow but canceled it as the problem seems to have fixed itself. FWIW no repairs were made. The problem just went away on its own. Was having another issue having to reboot to get the radio working several times and that seems to have gone away, too.

Reactions: RNHurt
I was having this problem as well earlier in the year but at some point in the last few months it disappeared. I'm guessing that a software update fixed it somewhere along the way and I didn't even notice. Not that I'm complaining ... :D

I have to adjust my mirrors occasionally (every 3-4 weeks), but I'm not sure that it's not me that's the problem.......I know that how I sit in the seat changes with my energy level and muscle tightness, and sometimes requires me to adjust my rear-view mirror too. One of my coworkers says she has to do it every day because she comes to work sitting much higher in the seat than when she drives home tired.