Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else holding out for SAS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between this site and my beer hobby, I sometimes can't keep track of all these acronyms. SD LR SAP NEIPA BCBS SAS IPA TFDLBBAH KBBS CBS AAP ETC. The beer dulls what capacity I have left to recall this stuff, and I spent most of it deciphering the FSD thread. I'm not too proud to admit I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

Last edited:
Between this site and my beer hobby, I sometimes can't keep track of all these acronyms. SD LR SAP NEIPA BCBS SAS IPA TFDLBBAH KBBS CBS AAP ETC. The beer dulls what capacity I have left to recall this stuff, and I only had so much to begin with. I'm not too proud to admit I have no clue what you guys are talking about.
I agree, seems lazy to not include it sometimes. SAS means Smart Air Suspension.

Reactions: Timo
Between this site and my beer hobby, I sometimes can't keep track of all these acronyms. SD LR SAP NEIPA BCBS SAS IPA TFDLBBAH KBBS CBS AAP ETC. The beer dulls what capacity I have left to recall this stuff, and I spent most of it deciphering the FSD thread. I'm not too proud to admit I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

Off topic, but I started buying Transformers toys and it’s a crazy forum world there too with abbreviations like KO, MP, MP10, MPM, G1, DX9, DOTM, ROTF, AOE, etc.,

Yes, I want SAS and the short range version. I have to balance that against the $7500 credit. I have to decide which is more important to me. The way I figure it, if I wait, SR will save me $9000, SAS will cost me ~$4500, and the tax credit, through June, 2019, will cost me $3750. So that is still a net saving of maybe $750 (and with price increases not guaranteed) so kind of a wash either way.

Wife and I will have a frank discussion in the next two days to determine what we should do. She is not going to be a happy camper with the choices. I am going to offer her the suggestion we order the car now, keep it for a year or two and then trade in for the car we really want. I wish the lease option was available right now.

This is perhaps my biggest disappointment with the current 3 options.. I would REALLY like air. The Model S isn't exactly a silky smooth ride even with air, and the current 3 (even with the new softer suspension) still appears to ride firmly. The availability of air would likely have me pulling the trigger on the invite I've been sitting on for 5 months. Like others have stated, the dang tax credit makes waiting difficult!

Reactions: SMAlset
... the current 3 (even with the new softer suspension) still appears to ride firmly.
There has been aftermarket springs available for the Model 3 for months now. Unplugged Performance has a set for under $400 IIRC, that barely drops the profile but give a lot softer feel for the first portion of travel in the suspension (they are wound with variable stiffness). There may be others, I haven't looked into that much. It obviously isn't SAS but it would at least address road feel and at a much lower price.

There has been aftermarket springs available for the Model 3 for months now. Unplugged Performance has a set with under $400, that barely drop profile but give a lot softer feel for the first portion of travel in the suspension. There may be others, I haven't looked into that much. It obviously isn't SAS but it would at least address road feel and at a much lower price.
I am aware of those, but in my experience ride quality is tied more to dampers that it is springs. Admittedly, if I thought they would make a difference I would swap them on in an afternoon.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
It's possible I'll need SAS to have sufficient clearance to get up our driveway. We've had no problems since we got two SUVs, but sedans often scrape at the top of the drive where it levels out...though Tesla still has a year to add it as an option before the omission is an issue for me.

Yes, I want SAS and the short range version. I have to balance that against the $7500 credit. I have to decide which is more important to me. The way I figure it, if I wait, SR will save me $9000, SAS will cost me ~$4500, and the tax credit, through June, 2019, will cost me $3750. So that is still a net saving of maybe $750 (and with price increases not guaranteed) so kind of a wash either way.

Wife and I will have a frank discussion in the next two days to determine what we should do. She is not going to be a happy camper with the choices. I am going to offer her the suggestion we order the car now, keep it for a year or two and then trade in for the car we really want. I wish the lease option was available right now.

I was holding out for AWD and SAS but we ordered last night as soon as we could.

Same feelings here as T34ME although I wanted the LR version. Have been waiting for the SAS which we have on our MS and use it on our driveway and a number of spots locally in town (speed bumps in town, parking lots, access to post office on dip, a lot of the homes here are on an incline above the road). I'd love a sunroof as well. Got our "configure" screen for the AWD just last night after having deferred on the RW LR back in February, and we put in our order as soon as we got to the restaurant we were driving to when we noticed the change in the configurator. Had been talking about what to do since February. Didn't wait to talk about it more. It's not really the car I want (feature-wise), hope I don't bottom out, and am hoping I like it well enough as configured. I just figured I couldn't wait and still not know what would be coming out down the road. If I have to trade it in later well so be it. I love the looks of the car and a lot of things about it so not like a huge sacrifice ;) to drive it. Just wish all the options I would have chosen were available now or if Tesla had laid out the options that will be available and timing for them so I could have gone into this eyes wide open. All the same, can't wait until it's here. Hope jumping on the order like we did around 7pm gets it to me at the short end of the 3-5 months delivery timeframe.

And one more thing - there's been no indication either way from Elon if SAS will come with AWD for free when it's available, or if it will cost extra. Given that it's not going to be available until early 2019, not only would I lose $3750 of tax rebate, I might also have to pay an extra $2k or so. So is it worth almost $6k? Not to me.

I am likely holding off. If I am buying the vehicle for long-term, I want full function. Already has Model S but leasing it so missing function doesn't bother me. I am wondering how much impact there will be on car price when the tax rebate goes away. My limited theory is that whenever there's subsidy that goes away, the price will have to come down. It was 'free taxpayer money' that Tesla is riding on. They will have to bridge the gap when they see reduction in volume.