Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Else in SoCal in Storm Watch? 1/20/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a notification for Storm Watch here in SoCal for a wind storm. Then I checked the NWS and noticed wind advisories, watches, and warnings.

First time I’ve seen this. Seldom do we get winds here. Anyone here get the same?
CB5F5C38-E6C1-4750-B398-A1F14E5F0F91.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a Wind Advisory in the East Bay of the SF Bay area for tomorrow from 7 AM to Saturday at 7 AM. So hopefully not too bad. But, the advisory did say there may be power outages. It will be interesting to see if we go into Storm Watch. I am ready either way with Power Walls at 96%,

Yeah that's crazy... just got SW turned on for me as well. I didn't hear anything in the news of red flag nuthin'
My Alexa spit out the high wind warning about 30 minutes ago, so I imagine that is when the NWS issued the warning/watches.

My Powerwalls filled in about 10 minutes after the StromWatch tripped, and now I am sending 2 kW back to the grid. Can you loan me an empty powerwall to fill?

My Alexa spit out the high wind warning about 30 minutes ago, so I imagine that is when the NWS issued the warning/watches.

My Powerwalls filled in about 10 minutes after the StromWatch tripped, and now I am sending 2 kW back to the grid. Can you loan me an empty powerwall to fill?

Why are you exporting to the grid? It's off-peak and you have no benefit exporting now?

We are fully powering the house and the Powerwalls are full, excess goes to grid

Ohhh your excess solar is being exported to the grid. I thought your PWs somehow switched to being grid exporting through that Tesla program hah.

Think of all the damage you're doing to the grid right now with that 2 kW... totally aren't paying your fair share amirite?

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210
Ohhh your excess solar is being exported to the grid. I thought your PWs somehow switched to being grid exporting through that Tesla program hah.

Think of all the damage you're doing to the grid right now with that 2 kW... totally aren't paying your fair share amirite?
Ha. No way I am turning on that option. We work too hard to gather a few photons this time of year.

We never get wind advisories in my local area. So I never had my PW go into SW for wind alone. The only time is when there was a Red Flag Warning, but that was mostly because of the dryness and winds in surrounding areas along with SCE intentionally shutting off power
The inland empire and Santa Ana River canyon always get strong winds. But we here in the San Gabriel valley seldom get strong Santa Ana winds. That’s why I said it was unusual for me to get this type of warning.

I can say it came true. The winds here are blowing like I’ve never seen them blow here. I’ve seen them really bad through the Cajon pass and Fontana, but never here.
2D10E464-8821-4431-BDDF-187455424D96.jpeg
EA693780-8A9D-4245-8236-99E77EED8272.jpeg

I just turned on SW for a minute to see if it was active and it did give me the notification and started to charge the Powerwall. We don't have any wind warnings in the South Bay but there is a Gale Warning on the ocean. Apparently since our city had a tiny bit touching the ocean, less than a mile long, the Gale Warning applies to the city too and sets off SW.