Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else not have version 9 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S still hasn't gotten the V9 update. The Model 3 has had it for weeks. I've always been near the end of software updates, but from the chatter on the forums, it seems like pretty much everyone is on 9.

At this point, I would call national support and ask to have them ‘check my car for any reason I’m not getting firmware updates’.

When it’s been this long, often something is stuck and they need to either reset it OTA or schedule a service center visit.

Looking at TeslaFi there are very few cars below 2018.39 and you might assume they are there because of issues or choice!

Is it connected to the wifi? Do you take it to a super charger? Did you deny data sharing?

Or maybe you just are out of luck.
What do any of these have to do with it? WiFi will speed it up, not stop it for weeks and weeks. V9 has been out for a couple of months. What effect does supercharging have on getting firmware? And I’ve never heard anything about data sharing.

Show your sources. :D

It can if the car is constantly switching between WiFi and LTE at home, and either not driven much or not parked away from the home on solid LTE for a while.
That’s a point, for sure, especially with the size of the downloads. If the signal is that bad, could be a factor.

But most people let them sit overnight which should be ample time. I’d think a call is still a good idea at this time to see if anything is inherently screwed up.

That’s a point, for sure, especially with the size of the downloads. If the signal is that bad, could be a factor.

But most people let them sit overnight which should be ample time. I’d think a call is still a good idea at this time to see if anything is inherently screwed up.
Not bad signal, extremely fragile/untested Tesla software.
WiFi and LTE Keeps Flipping
After v9 upgrade I had to create dedicated WiFi networks one per car, or else one of the cars would keep on flipping. Pre v9 it was still temperamental, the only thing that made both cars happy was a 2.4GHz only network dedicated and firewalled for cars only.

Not bad signal, extremely fragile/untested Tesla software.
WiFi and LTE Keeps Flipping
After v9 upgrade I had to create dedicated WiFi networks one per car, or else one of the cars would keep on flipping. Pre v9 it was still temperamental, the only thing that made both cars happy was a 2.4GHz only network dedicated and firewalled for cars only.
Interesting, no issues on our X and 3, on the same guest network they had been on before for all devices that don’t need internal access.

But I definitely believe you, the WiFi stories are legend. :D

Interesting, no issues on our X and 3, on the same guest network they had been on before for all devices that don’t need internal access.

But I definitely believe you, the WiFi stories are legend. :D
If you have a router log, check that. I noticed more problems late night than during the day (maybe when they have more cars connected via WiFi as most are in parked, who knows). When it was happening to our cars, they wouldn't stay connected for more than 5 seconds at a time, I doubt the car would download anything in such conditions (it would barely have enough time for me to hit whatismyip.com on the browser but only if I timed it just right).

If you have a router log, check that. I noticed more problems late night than during the day (maybe when they have more cars connected via WiFi as most are in parked, who knows). When it was happening to our cars, they wouldn't stay connected for more than 5 seconds at a time, I doubt the car would download anything in such conditions (it would barely have enough time for me to hit whatismyip.com on the browser but only if I timed it just right).
I’m not having any problems. :D

In general, I agree with your troubleshooting. The short connection times are the car trying to start up the VPN to the mothership and failing and starting over.

My garage is about 100 feet from the house, so no wifi. Never had any issues before. Also, the Model 3 has been getting updates sitting right next to the S, so not sure. I'll give them a call. I don't really care all that much honestly. There's nothing really groundbreaking for older cars on V9. I just thought it was odd that it's been so long. That car has always been really late getting software though.

By now, if you haven't received the V9 software, call Tesla and have them check your vehicle logs.

We had this happen to our 2017 S 100D - it stopped receiving updates. Called Tesla and they found our vehicle had been moved to the "do not install" list because several download attempts had been made and were unsuccessful, and instead of continuing pushing the update to our car, they instead marked it for no more software updates.

We had to bring the car into a Service Center where they manually forced the software update into the car - and since then, we've been receiving new updates.

Didn't Musk comment we'd have more control over the software updates? Having the ability to start an install through the smartphone app is a minor convenience. The bigger improvement would be notification of when new updates are available, access to the release notes (prior to installation) and the ability to request the update be downloaded to the car.