TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone else notice their X wake up, unfold mirrors then sleep again?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Muzzman1, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

So I noticed today while working on my S in the garage my wife's X occasionally (about once every 15 mins) will enable the contactors, unfold the mirrors raise the spoiler, fold them back up then drop the spoiler....all over a period of 7-10 seconds.

The only suspicion I have is that I have my cars all on "Teslalog.com" Could it be that the website is requesting data, so the car wakes up, and in doing so, part of the internal wake up is the mirrors and spoiler?

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?

2. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

I only notice this when I walk past my car with my key in my pocket.

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Maybe it's lonely and wanting some attention? Take it out for a ride and see if that temporarily solves the problem. :D

• Like x 1
  4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Hey, I saw my first X a month ago in a shopping mall parking lot and it did this exact thing! I wanted to say hi to the owner, but he/she was nowhere near. Mirrors we're opening and closing autonomously.

5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Maybe the source for some of the extreme vampire drain people have reported. Perhaps we need some security cameras on the cars.

6. LobosPac

LobosPac Member

My Detailer, who currently has my X, is telling me that the mirrors are cycling open and closed about every 10 mins or so.

• Like x 1
  7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Hope this gets fixed soon.

8. djbakasan

djbakasan Member

I have seen this happen twice w/ mine. Both times no key on me or my wife when the mirrors articulated out and back in. I've one instance of the right falcon wing door seemingly opening by itself-- fob was in my pocket, so MAYBE it was an accidental click, but an accidental double click seems unlikely.

9. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Exactly how I initially found out about mine.

10. 7racer

7racer Member

I only notice this if my door from my house to the garage is open. I keep my keys in a key dish at the front door which is another 8 feet from the door. Seems like the signal strength of my fob is stronger than on the S.

If the door is open, the X seems to sometimes detect it and wakes up. But since it seems on the edge of the range, I see the X go back to sleep. If I close the garage door, the car sleeps and seems to stay asleep.

11. pvogel

pvogel Member

If my keys are in my pocket this happens. If I leave them on the hook in the house, it doesn't.

12. Farnigus

Farnigus Member

The key fob has a surprisng range. My spare key was 2 rooms away, and my car kept unfolding the mirrors/spoiler all the time.
    I pulled the battery from the spare key and it hasn't happened since.

13. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

image.gif

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Anyone recommend a faraday cage like jewelry box case, where I can store my keys?

15. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

The microwave oven I guess. lol

• Funny x 1
  16. K-MTG

I usually just leave my keys in the car, as the car are parked in the garage. I won't be able to do that anymore

17. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Leave it Under a `` SUNSHADE`` once you get one;)

• Funny x 1
  18. K-MTG

Will do, I will have my sunshade reinforced with concrete, suggestion by @ModelXBoy. So, it should function as a faraday cage.

19. aija SigX 649

aija SigX 649 Winged Lion

I noticed this issue as well when I'm doing something in the garage with the fob on me or nearby. Could also explain why some folks have reported really short fob battery lifespan. Must be some constant bidirectional communication between key & car when in range. Could also explain the door open-too-long issue (with key nearby) - like at a detailer. I've learned to keep the fob away from the car when not in use. Gets tricky though - I have to leave it nearby, but too far, while I approach the car to plug in the charger. If the key is in my pocket, the door will open (if auto open enabled). If the key is not nearby, the car is locked and won't allow me to open the charge port. I call it MIBAS "ModelX Interaction Behavior Adjustment Syndrome" o_O

20. Skryll

Skryll Member

Buy one of those shielding pouches to prevent it from communicating