Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else on ZapMap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed that you can advertise your home charger for hire on ZapMap and a few days after it appeared on the map have already had two requests for charges from visitors to our seaside town.

Anyone else hiring out their home charger or thinking about it?

Thought about it, but wary about damage to either my car that is parked next to the charger most of the time, or the charger itself from people being inconsiderate with it (e.g. dropping it, not putting the cable back, etc)

good things to consider... to mitigate that, we're only allowing them to charge when we're here and are handling the charger ourselves. They have to contact you to arrange it anyway so you can still decline if you feel it's inconvenient or you actually need the charger yourself.

Interesting. I just checked my locale and someone not too far away is offering 6p per KWH from 21.30 to 02.30. Not sure he’d really want to move his car at midnight but that’s what he’s offering. Much cheaper than I’m paying at home!
5779E876-05AC-41DC-A9CD-8C3E6981175E.png

I would have thought this would invalidate your house insurance in the event something drastic went wrong.

Come to think of it, there was another thread in a similar vein:

Reactions: mikeyg_ev
If they park a stolen car, don't come back, or refuse to move their car, it's a nightmare to get the vehicle hauled, and Zap-Map and other apps wouldn't come to your rescue. Remember in the old days people used to share their wifi and used to get letters about piracy and illegal activities committed by their guests?

ha! well those last two posts of scaremongering sound far worse than my thread on what happens if someone just rocks up and starts charging up for free on your drive while you're away. Got lots of "are you kidding, that's never going to happen" type replies.

I would have thought this would invalidate your house insurance in the event something drastic went wrong.

Come to think of it, there was another thread in a similar vein:
Invalidation of third party liability coverage in the house insurance policy would be my main concern.

Reactions: init6
thanks for flagging this. I called LV who we're currently insured with and after a lengthy consultation with their supervisor the lady I spoke to confirmed that because it's members of the public we wouldn't be covered.

I've contacted ZapMap to have the charger removed.

Reactions: prabhu and init6
I’ve listed our home charger on ZapMap. Had a few people get in touch to charge- no problems whatsoever - they just paid the cost of their charge which was easy to work out from our Hypervolt app. I let one keep their car on the drive overnight at no extra charge as we live quite near the centre of York and parking fees are astronomical!

Reactions: Toblerone