Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Else Ordered Lr?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3,500 UK orders in the first week ... 1,000 or so after ... only been 1,300ish loaded onto boats ... next boat is 3 weeks away ... Meanwhile Europe still ordering cars which take up space on the boats

THIS

Plus the handover of cars and fixing any faults etc. is a rate limiting step for Service Centres - that should increase over time as training / skills / etc. develop

So is it a good or bad sign when they try to get you to upgrade?

Normal for Tesla, Up-sell is their middle name. They need cash.

But I've never considered them the "hard sell" type - compared to trying to get rid of a double glazing salesman after stupidly letting him into my house ... that is on my "things I only ever did once".

Not that crazy. From what I've been reading they had 3,500 UK orders in the first week or so of the configurator going live, then another 1,000 or so after that initial rush. So far there have only been 1,300ish loaded onto boats so that's a lot of people with early orders who won't be getting cars until at least the next boat (which is 3 weeks away at the earliest). Meanwhile Europe is still ordering cars which take up space on the boats, so I can easily see how it could be as late as September if the configuration ordered is unusual enough to warrant a specific production run rather than a 'best guess' mixed run.

So is it a good or bad sign when they try to get you to upgrade?

Neither of us will be waiting until September, we will get our cars much earlier than that. Mid to late July, August absolute latest.

August absolute latest

I really hope that is true ...

Allocation of VINs for RHD does not suggest that there may be many deliveries in August ... I'm assuming that it takes 8 weeks from start of manufacture to available for handover in UK. So basically August delivery cars had to be made before end June ... just at the time Tesla was busting a gut to build-and-ship local deliveries to USA customers to boost Q2 results. I suppose last week of June would have been too late to make for USA market Q2 sales ... so could have been EU builds then ...

Sadly I'm pessimistic about August deliveries :( and probably "any 2nd-month-in-Quarter" for same ongoing need to satisfy Wall Street.

Update: I did get a call from Tesla to confirm the details in my account (driving licence, delivery location, cash buyer) today so am hoping that this points to my car being one of the 1,000 that arrived yesterday. But, the lady did say that it could be as late as September.

Think this is a standard call to make sure everything is completed and ready in your account. I had the same call in 24th May and was told July/Aug delivery. But fingers crossed for us both!

I’m SR+ so still tempted to make the jump to P- will see if I get a VIN allocated in the next week or not.

I still think early reservation holders and more importantly early order confirmation will see UK punters getting their cars in July. According to some people at UK Tesla stores they heard that the factory produced a sh** ton of RHD of various configurations (starting with P+ for late June UK sales). They could have made 7000 cars in about a week. If they are after sales for Q2 and have LHD inventory it makes sense to ramp up production late May and early June for RHD markets. Also, for current new orders the website still states July so August is a no-brainer.

the factory produced a ton of RHD of various configurations

That is at odds with the (public record of) RHD VINs actually allocated :(

for current new orders the website still states July so August is a no-brainer.

Or someone at Tesla hasn't got around to changing the website ... or "some configurations are in excess supply and will be able to be matched with customer orders"

Neither of us will be waiting until September, we will get our cars much earlier than that. Mid to late July, August absolute latest.
I like your optimism, but realistically if mine (and yours) isn't one of the 1,000 that just arrived it is likely to be September. This is based on what the spotters in San Francisco have been reporting. There have only been 1,300 RHD cars shipped to Europe so far, and they haven't seen a build up of more to be shipped (the latest ship is heading to China). It takes 3 weeks for the ship to get to Zebrugge and another week (at least) from there to deliveries. If there were a load of RHD cars dockside right now they would only be delivered late July at the very earliest, and there currently aren't so need to be built first.

Not knowing is the worst (if it's September then tell me and I can plan for that). But I can only control what I can control so am selling my current car next week anyway before its value drops any further and if that means 2 months without a car then that's just what I'll have to do.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I'm assuming that it takes 8 weeks from start of manufacture to available for handover in UK.[/
I like your optimism, but realistically if mine (and yours) isn't one of the 1,000 that just arrived it is likely to be September. This is based on what the spotters in San Francisco have been reporting. There have only been 1,300 RHD cars shipped to Europe so far, and they haven't seen a build up of more to be shipped (the latest ship is heading to China). It takes 3 weeks for the ship to get to Zebrugge and another week (at least) from there to deliveries. If there were a load of RHD cars dockside right now they would only be delivered late July at the very earliest

Completely correct, but there are still 5 weeks from then to the start of September. It all depends on when exactly RHD Production Will Be scheduled in July...

Tesla really need to get the story straight. just yesterday on another forum someone was told tesla would deliver all the early deliveries by the end of july (which would mean another 3k VINs and on a boat within a week.. really not likely IMO).

If they just made a public announcement that they are still ramping up and there would be no more built until 'x' where X can be August or even September, then people could make arrangements around that.

That would assume they know.

Local employees are usually left just as much in the dark as we are and have to make informed guesses, in my experience.

They're usually not really lying, but the only really straight story is often “we don't know”, which tends to sit even less well with customers than an informed guess.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
We fill up with (deep breadth) diesel about once a month. Due to fill up tomorrow. Don’t want £80 diesel in car if we only short notice - it’s a significant proportion of our trade in value! Sod’s law, we get a call on Monday! Actually, I could live with that. :D

Would like to get car by middle of August. In time to play on our holidays.

Reactions: navt
if it's September then tell me and I can plan for that

Agree entirely and in fact September works for me as that’s when my home charger will likely be installed.

For what it’s worth, when I was pondering placing an order in early June the Tesla staff at their Bristol outlet (Cribbs) told me that if I ordered at that point, delivery would probably be September even though the website said July. I asked a few times on different visits to the store, spoke to different individuals each time, and this was a consistent response.

So given there is no other communication from Tesla directly now that I have placed my order, I am assuming September anyway.

I ordered my LR AWD with FSD on 6/16. Got VIN and delivery date yesterday, 6/21. I pick it up on Monday, 6/24. This was a custom factory order with the car leaving the factory yesterday, 6/21. Hope that helps put your mind at ease.
Great news. Do enjoy but this is a UK part of the forum. Bit slower with the distances involved.

Back on edge everyone.

Last edited:
I ordered my LR AWD with FSD on 6/16. Got VIN and delivery date yesterday, 6/21. I pick it up on Monday, 6/24. This was a custom factory order with the car leaving the factory yesterday, 6/21. Hope that helps put your mind at ease.

That's great information, thank you @jebinc . Sounds like there is inventory/no backlog for orders in the US right now. Everyone in UK/Europe, well, mostly on this forum are just assuming the USA and Canada are sucking up ALL the manufacturing capacity. The production numbers at Fremont are showing 1,000 cars per day and only 3 to 4 weeks to get here to the UK. I am still convinced the early orders will be fulfilled in July.

I reckon anyone who ordered within the first 2 weeks of May will get their car in July. No problem.

That's great information, thank you @jebinc . Sounds like there is inventory/no backlog for orders in the US right now. Everyone in UK/Europe, well, mostly on this forum are just assuming the USA and Canada are sucking up ALL the manufacturing capacity. The production numbers at Fremont are showing 1,000 cars per day and only 3 to 4 weeks to get here to the UK. I am still convinced the early orders will be fulfilled in July.

I reckon anyone who ordered within the first 2 weeks of May will get their car in July. No problem.

My error, as I didn't realize I was posting an update in the UK forum - but I can claim that my wife was born and raised in Glasgow, Scotland! All the best to you and the others in this forum. There are very low inventories in the US right now, due to the government rebate being halved at month's end. Mine was on the assembly line Thursday/Friday, and shipped yesterday.