TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Anyone Else Ordering a Model S or X 100 Before the Price Increase this Weekend?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MDMGSO47, Apr 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

As part of the sharp decrease in the cost of a S75, Tesla has also announced a sharp increase effective April 24 in the base price of the Model S and X 100 and P100D. The increase on the S 1o0D is $5,000 from $92,500 to $97,500, which will include air ride suspension as standard, a former $2,500 extra (but in which I have no interest). The increase in the S P100D and all the X 100s is even more substantial.

I had been holding off on pulling the trigger on a S 100D until EAP reached parity with AP1. However, Tesla sweetened the pot by making the automatic rear door opener standard on the S 100 without raising the price during the short window before the price increase this weekend. In addition, Tesla is now running up on the decrease in and eventual disappearance of the $7,500 federal tax credit (with the reduction beginning as early as 4th Q in 2017 or latest 2nd Q 2018, depending on who you believe). As a result, I placed the order today. I did delay delivery until July to give Tesla additional time to work on EAP.

Anyone else taking the plunge on a Model S or X 100D or P100D before April 24 to avoid the price increase?

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

Can you provide a link for this announcement?

3. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

I don't get the desire to delay delivery of the car OP to wait for EAP to become more mature. It's not like the car will get any different hardware. So why not just enjoy driving a great car in the meantime. The $5000 bump is a large jump even though you can factor in the SAS to it especially if you don't care about it.

• Like x 1
  4. shelbri

shelbri Member

I received an email from an Ownership Loyalty Advisor working in Fremont on April 17th. Here is an excerpt:

If you haven’t heard, we discontinued the 60kWh battery Sunday night and by doing so, we’ve reduced the price of the 75kWh battery by $5,000. If you’re looking for more than 259 miles of range, we’ve also dropped the price of our 90D by $2,000. Some other changes I’d like to share:

· Glass Roof is now standard on Model S

· Power Lift Gate is now standard on Model S

· Smart Air Suspension is now standard on Model S 100D and P100D

· High Amperage Charger is now standard on 100D and P100D

Please note that with these modifications, the price of 100D is expected to increase by $5,000.00 and the P100D to $5,500.00 on April 24th.

• Informative x 3
  5. DocZ

DocZ Member

I'm not. Waiting for the 2170 cells to make it to the S first.

6. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

All true. However, the glass roof (I ordered the Pano), power lift gate (bout time it was standard) and high amperage charger (totally worthless for most people) are standard without paying an additional $5k if you order before the price increase on April 24. That's why I did.

7. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Waiting for that may cost you the $5k cost increase and the $7,500 tax credit.

• Like x 2
  8. doofenshmirtz

doofenshmirtz Member

What advantage do you foresee to waiting for the 2170's?

9. Alex D

Alex D Member

#9 Alex D, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Remember when Tesla announced that the 60 will be discontinued? What happen after the cut off date? The 75 is now almost the same price as the 60.

Now Tesla announced the price increase on the 100/P100. What will happen this time after the cut off date? My guess is, there will be a very obvious, to us yet unknown, reason for the price increase. And then you might want this new "feature" but in order to have it, you will have to cancel your existing order, because you're not allowed to change it for $500, since you ordered before the announcement, which will cost you $2,500 extra, etc, yaddi yadda...

Getting where I'm going with this? The same Spiel...

But then, I could be totally wrong. So don't take my word for advice. :D

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. cizUK

cizUK Member

#10 cizUK, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    BTW you can actually drive the car normally without the EAP improvements ;)
    Might as well get it ASAP IMO

• Like x 2
  11. DocZ

DocZ Member

More range, newer tech. Why wouldn't you want their new and improved batteries when they're just around the corner? Not to mention the mass market lower tiered product will have them

12. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Have to agree that there may be some other changes that go along with the $5k price increase. Just seems odd to make some items standard but wait a week before raising the price....unless the only motivation is to fill the order queue for the 2nd quarter.

13. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

No I actually ordered mine a couple of months ago when it was more expensive

14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Maybe the 100 will become a 110 after this weekend... :)

15. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Elon says that is not technically possible at this point, but what does he know.

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

The waiting game is infinite. By the time (and if) Model S moves to the 2170 cells, there will be something else on the horizon like AP2+ ("now with even more sensors!") or HUD or <insert wild speculation here>.

How would that have any effect on the Model S?

What do you envision as "right around the corner"?

17. cizUK

cizUK Member

They won't be able to retro-fit the 2170 cells into the current S&X design so they will have to completely redesign the cars.

Don't see that happening in the next year (although I'd like it to :))

18. DocZ

DocZ Member

As in the 2170 cells are currently being manufactured for the Model 3. Why would you put older tech into your premium product while your cheaper and "worse" model according to Elon is getting the latest tech? Elon has reiterated numerous times that the S/X will get newer tech first.

And any statement about the current S/X battery pack needing a redesign to accommodate the new cells is pure speculation.

19. DocZ

DocZ Member

Complete speculation on your part. The pack had a recent redesign, I highly doubt they didn't plan for the 2170 cells.

• Like x 1
  20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

You just kinda contradicted yourself here. If MS/MX are to get the newer tech first, why are the 2170s being produced for the Model 3? Everything quoted above is also pure speculation your part. Nobody knows if/when MS/MX will get the new 2170 cells.

Pack redesign **either way** is pure speculation as well. You can't assume they redesigned for 2170, just as much as one can't say that the pack can't handle 2170.