Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Else Ordering a Model S or X 100 Before the Price Increase this Weekend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You just kinda contradicted yourself here. If MS/MX are to get the newer tech first, why are the 2170s being produced for the Model 3? Everything quoted above is also pure speculation your part. Nobody knows if/when MS/MX will get the new 2170 cells.

Pack redesign **either way** is pure speculation as well. You can't assume they redesigned for 2170, just as much as one can't say that the pack can't handle 2170.

Rather than playing exercises with semantics, just look at Elons statements regarding new tech in S/X.

Complete speculation on your part. The pack had a recent redesign, I highly doubt they didn't plan for the 2170 cells.
The 2170 cells are taller than the current cells and therefore the pack will have to be thicker.
I suppose they could just reduce the ground clearance for the S&X, but I prefer to believe that it will come with a complete redesign

• Informative
Reactions: strider
The 2170 cells are taller than the current cells and therefore the pack will have to be thicker.
I suppose they could just reduce the ground clearance for the S&X, but I prefer to believe that it will come with a complete redesign

The pack configuration could be anything and no one knows what it will be. The cells could be placed on their sides. I could have sworn there was a tweet or an update from Elon during one of the investor calls that stated the goal was end of this year for 2170 in S/X. There is certainly a very good reason with 35% savings for the same kWh pack.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The pack configuration could be anything and no one knows what it will be. The cells could be placed on their sides. I could have sworn there was a tweet or an update from Elon during one of the investor calls that stated the goal was end of this year for 2170 in S/X. There is certainly a very good reason with 35% savings for the same kWh pack.
Yeah you've got a point
I guess we'll just have to find out

A fully loaded P100D (minus the rear child seats) is $3000 less than what it was last week, and apparently $5500 less than what it will cost next week. So the little price valley this week made me finally pull the trigger. I took a test drive last week in a P100D and nearly passed out flooring it from a stop sign (by request of the OA). I wasn't ready for all the blood to leave my eye balls and go to the back of my head. heh. Most. Fun. Ever.

Reactions: DIL
Maybe the 100 will become a 110 after this weekend... :)
Elon says that is not technically possible at this point, but what does he know.
Not much by the look of things... He said AP2 would have parity with AP1 by end of December... 2016! He said every service customer will receive a Model S loaner vehicle that is better than the one they drive... He said the browser would be redesigned and much faster by end of 2014... He said owners can physically upgrade their batteries... He announced battery pack swapping stations as a way to recharge up Model S faster than filling up a gasoline car... He announced Autopilot 1 and took customers' money a year before it actually became reality... He announces "UI changes" prior to every software update that actually lacks UI changes... His track record is crap.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight
My prediction for the near future:

New (P)100D will have underside charging points for an automated battery charging.

You drive over a plate that hides an actuator that rises up and connects you to a Supercharger. No manual connection by hand needed anymore. Must have for a fully autonomous car.

Maybe you even will be able to buy a simplified version (only AC charging at 11/16kW) to your garage. Something like an inductive plate, but with no loses.
And with self-parking by the Autopilot you wouldn't even need to steer manually. Simple one click option before the garage...

Nisan Leaf 3G and inductive charging

~6:30